General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Our non-handball is a weird one.

I think proximity should overrule everything, including natural vs unnatural position, so if I was king of the world, it wouldn't be handball.

But based on what I think the rules are, he's making his body bigger unnaturally so it should be a pen?

Idk

Is it unnatural as he’s pointing? It’s a really weird one.

I feel it’s given as handball 50% of the time but, like you, I’m just not sure it should be.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Is it unnatural as he’s pointing? It’s a really weird one.

I feel it’s given as handball 50% of the time but, like you, I’m just not sure it should be.

Depends if you think a defender there pointing is a natural position. Natural action? Maybe, but the rule says natural position :D

I think the right decision was made as I'd hate for it to be given again us.

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Our non-handball is a weird one.

I think proximity should overrule everything, including natural vs unnatural position, so if I was king of the world, it wouldn't be handball.

But based on what I think the rules are, he's making his body bigger unnaturally so it should be a pen?

Idk

Zouma conceded a pen against Everton when his arm was away from his body in an unnatural way two weeks ago. I don’t like the rules, but under the letter of the law it should be a pen, there’s no consistency. 

This is the 'official' line on our handball btw:

VAR review: Emerson is fortunate, because if the referee had awarded a penalty it wouldn't have been overturned.

The West Ham player had his arm away from his body and was pointing to give directions to a teammate, and while he did try to withdraw his arm there's still an argument that it has blocked the forward pass to Konsa.

You could also argue that Emerson had his arm in an expected position for his action, pointing for a teammate, but it's a close call and it's almost certainly given in the other top European leagues.

It's about right

• Like 3

Seeing as I knock them every week...

I liked the ref last night, he was not having shoulder barges as fouls, was the same for both teams, both of us tried to win soft as shit penalties with players falling over before the contact even came ans he wasn't interested, it was almost a bit of a throw back

He should have insisted paqueta was subbed off for persistent fouling (and for Luiz obviously) but I give him the benefit of the doubt on that with it being a friendly (paqueta did take the piss though) 

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Seeing as I knock them every week...

I liked the ref last night, he was not having shoulder barges as fouls, was the same for both teams, both of us tried to win soft as shit penalties with players falling over before the contact even came ans he wasn't interested, it was almost a bit of a throw back

He should have insisted paqueta was subbed off for persistent fouling (and for Luiz obviously) but I give him the benefit of the doubt on that with it being a friendly (paqueta did take the piss though) 

This post confirms the bias against referees FWIW.

If it was Villa instead of England and <any other side> instead of Brazil then there'd be so much moaning about Paqueta and Joao Gomes who both should have been sent off (I don't think Gomes was even booked :D).

Instead, it's not Villa and there was no VAR involvement generally so we're "happy".

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

This post confirms the bias against referees FWIW.

If it was Villa instead of England and <any other side> instead of Brazil then there'd be so much moaning about Paqueta and Joao Gomes who both should have been sent off (I don't think Gomes was even booked :D).

Instead, it's not Villa and there was no VAR involvement generally so we're "happy".

its more the realisation that its a friendly

if that was a full international or a league game or whatever then no way do they get away with that 

paqueta had about 3 yellow card worthy tackles in that game and then another 4 or 5 fouls on top of that

Gordon is a problem.

Both penalties against West Ham were a case of him just throwing a leg in front of a clearance without any control of the ball or any intent to get anything except contact. 

I think Salah had one against Mings once where he just threw a leg out. 

Really, they're free kicks against the defenders but why do the refs keep going for it?

Don't get me wrong for as interesting as he was at times the ref didn't do a fat lot wrong but that shoulder barge on konsa is so **** frustrating, it was shoulder to shoulder blade, it's a foul

That's the epitome of a challenge that is given at the other end and then is also given all of the over pitch several times afterwards 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't get me wrong for as interesting as he was at times the ref didn't do a fat lot wrong but that shoulder barge on konsa is so **** frustrating, it was shoulder to shoulder blade, it's a foul

That's the epitome of a challenge that is given at the other end and then is also given all of the over pitch several times afterwards 

Yes, but it's seen very often that chalenges in the box seem to have higher threshold than outside of the box before the foul is given.

It's just in refs nature to be cautious about giving pens away.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Yes, but it's seen very often that chalenges in the box seem to have higher threshold than outside of the box before the foul is given.

It's just in refs nature to be cautious about giving pens away.

he's the one that gave the Chelsea penalty over the weekend I believe

• Haha 1

Is it just me that thought their first goal last night was offside?. Also the VAR took 5 seconds to decide with what looked like only one line drawn.

Could have been the content provider (Optus)?.

Then our goal took a good minute to check and they checked 2 passages of play.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2024 at 12:55, foreveryoung said:

I don't think Dermott O'gallagher watches football anymore. His comments on SSN to the incidents from the weekend are miles off correct

I stopped watching that as he pretty much backed up his buddies 90% of the time (pretty much what you would expect, he isn't gonna thrown his mates under the bus)

• Like 1

On 31/03/2024 at 16:23, May-Z said:

Gordon is a problem.

Both penalties against West Ham were a case of him just throwing a leg in front of a clearance without any control of the ball or any intent to get anything except contact. 

I think Salah had one against Mings once where he just threw a leg out. 

Really, they're free kicks against the defenders but why do the refs keep going for it?

Similar to Arsenal in one of Dean Smith’s last games when Targett was about to clear the ball and the striker popped his leg in front of him but nowhere near the ball.

1 minute ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Similar to Arsenal in one of Dean Smith’s last games when Targett was about to clear the ball and the striker popped his leg in front of him but nowhere near the ball.

Digne had one last season at Brighton and nothing was given. None of these refs are on the same page

3 hours ago, 6065_Villa said:

Is it just me that thought their first goal last night was offside?. Also the VAR took 5 seconds to decide with what looked like only one line drawn.

Could have been the content provider (Optus)?.

Then our goal took a good minute to check and they checked 2 passages of play.

I initially thought he was off, but the one line was enough when I saw it live

Â