General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

I think the refereeing performance last night highlighted that we're dealing with a different issue in the PL.

The standard of the referee was atrocious but it was clear there wasn't any bias in his actions. Just pure inexperience and erroneous decisions. He wasn't helped by his linesmen either, but he got things evidently wrong with no side particularly favoured.

In the PL, I feel the decisions regularly tend to favour one side.

4 hours ago, MrBlack said:

In the PL, I feel the decisions regularly tend to favour one side.

They definitely favour the sky 6 because they are the big 6. Apparently they are the best teams and EVERYONE wants the sky 6 at the top of the league fighting for the title. More grandslam Sundays with the big six is what we all want. 

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think the refereeing performance last night highlighted that we're dealing with a different issue in the PL.

The standard of the referee was atrocious but it was clear there wasn't any bias in his actions. Just pure inexperience and erroneous decisions. He wasn't helped by his linesmen either, but he got things evidently wrong with no side particularly favoured.

In the PL, I feel the decisions regularly tend to favour one side.

32 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They definitely favour the sky 6 because they are the big 6. Apparently they are the best teams and EVERYONE wants the sky 6 at the top of the league fighting for the title. More grandslam Sundays with the big six is what we all want. 

I don't think they do; but we're backed by confirmation bias when looking at referees.

Such a dangerous red card the guy jumped up to fight McGinn immediately. Shambles reffing again

Doesnt excuse the performance hust bad reffing as usual

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Such a dangerous red card the guy jumped up to fight McGinn immediately. Shambles reffing again

Johnson not booked for a blatant shove either. It was a horrid foul for sure. Spurs also milked it for all its worth. 

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That doesn't mean it's not utter shit from mcginn, that's not a bad tackle that's booting someone in frustration 

There's no complaints today - or at least shouldn't be

• Like 1

Brennan Johnson both held up a FK in the first half by picking up the ball, then throwing it away and then pushed McGinn in the second half after that moronic tackle but didn't get carded either time. Always fun to see what the rules are from week to week in the PL.

Just now, sne said:

Brennan Johnson both held up a FK in the first half by picking up the ball, then throwing it away and then pushed McGinn in the second half after that moronic tackle but didn't get carded either time. Always fun to see what the rules are from week to week in the PL.

Udogie made at least four cynical and tactical fouls - either no whistle or no card given. The lack of consistency is very frustrating. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Just to be clear this loss is all on us, both gifting them goals and taking a idiotic red card.

Agree on that. I would also have liked to have seen a full VAR for the VDV foul on Ollie. That was for a me a penalty shout. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Just seen the Ederson thing. 

What's the difference? 

Honestly, we may as well be playing a different sport. 

He's a goal keeper??? It's a yellow and penalty.  McGinns was a red.

39 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

What's the difference? 

The difference is mcginn has put one on the guy, he knows what he's doing, strong tackle get the crowd going, use aggression to give us a shot in the arm, he is always clattering the guy and the ball is not there to be won, mcginn can not win the ball from where he is and with how he tackles, all he do is get a roar from the crowd 

Ederson is late but the mentality is not the same 

42 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

What's the difference? 

Ederson missed the ball by a split second, McGinn was in a different postcode when he engaged with Udogie.

Discussion in the Watkins thread got me thinking.

Inside the box "it's not a foul if the defender gets 1mm of the ball", but anywhere else on the pitch you can have a perfect tackle and get 1mm of the player and it's a foul.

Â