General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Just seen the Ederson thing. 

What's the difference? 

Honestly, we may as well be playing a different sport. 

if it's a pen, then it is the double jeopardy rule where it's a yellow card and not a red. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Brennan Johnson both held up a FK in the first half by picking up the ball, then throwing it away and then pushed McGinn in the second half after that moronic tackle but didn't get carded either time. Always fun to see what the rules are from week to week in the PL.

5 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Udogie made at least four cynical and tactical fouls - either no whistle or no card given. The lack of consistency is very frustrating. 

The Johnson thing was nothing.  He didn't throw the ball away - he was moaning that we'd pushed the ball forward a bit (which we did) and then picked the ball up and rolled it back to where it was.  These days, they're possibly booking for it but he didn't throw the ball away to time waste or anything.

On the Udogie thing, I think I remember a foul in the first half that maybe could've been a booking.  Tbh, Watkins should've probably been booked for a late kick on Romero fairly early doors.

Sadly for us, the ref was absolutely fine today.  Sadly because he got the McGinn call correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The Johnson thing was nothing.  He didn't throw the ball away - he was moaning that we'd pushed the ball forward a bit (which we did) and then picked the ball up and rolled it back to where it was.  These days, they're possibly booking for it but he didn't throw the ball away to time waste or anything.

On the Udogie thing, I think I remember a foul in the first half that maybe could've been a booking.  Tbh, Watkins should've probably been booked for a late kick on Romero fairly early doors.

Sadly for us, the ref was absolutely fine today.  Sadly because he got the McGinn call correct.

sorry are you actually a ref? you always post for the referees whatever the decision, its like a weekly version of Dermot Gallagher on Sky

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

sorry are you actually a ref? you always post for the referees whatever the decision, its like a weekly version of Dermot Gallagher on Sky

Nah - I just hate the ref bashing.  The fact that match threads are basically just a moan about the refs thread.

The over analysis of every single tackle in every single game.  It's so insipid.

Edit:  And also, just not true on "whatever the decision".  But he didn't get anything wrong that impacted the game today.  There's nothing to moan about yet here we are.

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

Nah - I just hate the ref bashing.  The fact that match threads are basically just a moan about the refs thread.

The over analysis of every single tackle in every single game.  It's so insipid.

thats fair enough, I dont read the match threads 

its gone too far, we all know the refs are dreadful and not fit for purpose and that throughout the course of the season we will get at least 5 genuinely bafflingly bad decisions that are outrageous and a contender for the worst ref we've ever seen, that is the benchmark, its **** low...

but now every game is dominated by the ref, every decision is scrutinised, every ref is the worst we've ever had when in reality they're usually not even the worst ref we've had that week

the defence of konsa and mcginn this week is alarming IMO, almost we can do no wrong and the ref can do no right stuff, its getting close to pearl clutching which to me is to me is part of the problem, PGMOL have to get better but there's a danger that the argument swings away from them and towards the fans, fans need to stop moaning about absolutely everything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG-4674.jpg

I was surprised this didn’t get ruled out at the time. Again, it’s the inconsistency that is most annoying.

edit: actually, as it’s a corner I guess he is not offside

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its gone too far, we all know the refs are dreadful and not fit for purpose and that throughout the course of the season we will get at least 5 genuinely bafflingly bad decisions that are outrageous and a contender for the worst ref we've ever seen, that is the benchmark, its **** low...

but now every game is dominated by the ref, every decision is scrutinised, every ref is the worst we've ever had when in reality they're usually not even the worst ref we've had that week

the defence of konsa and mcginn this week is alarming IMO, almost we can do no wrong and the ref can do no right stuff, its getting close to pearl clutching which to me is to me is part of the problem, PGMOL have to get better but there's a danger that the argument swings away from them and towards the fans, fans need to stop moaning about absolutely everything

McGinn was a stonewall red, but Konsa got sent off for being fouled twice.

Just now, Genie said:

IMG-4674.jpg

I was surprised this didn’t get ruled out at the time. Again, it’s the inconsistency that is most annoying.

You can't be offside from a corner.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

You can't be offside from a corner.

I did update it about 30 seconds after posting 🙂 

Still in theory could be given as a foul though. 

It was bizarre that our ref in the West Ham game booked the West Ham player for “delaying the restart” but then when Zaniolo clearly did it (already on a yellow) bottled it. 

10 hours ago, Genie said:

It was bizarre that our ref in the West Ham game booked the West Ham player for “delaying the restart” but then when Zaniolo clearly did it (already on a yellow) bottled it. 

More bizarre .....West Ham playing basketball in both boxes, penalty not given to us for a blatant hand ball and then moaning about a goal not being given that was pushed into the net, by an arm, after being passed to the arm by another arm, why wasn't the goal given? 🤣 

I think we should look at overseas refs and offer them positions. A bit like teams transfers.  A prem ref makes over £100k a year up that by 50% it'll cost the FA less than a couple of mill. If the league buys the best players from around the world, why not the best officials.

Also employ more technicians in the var room. At the moment it's a bit like watching a  granddad using tiktok.

9 minutes ago, colhint said:

I think we should look at overseas refs and offer them positions. A bit like teams transfers.  A prem ref makes over £100k a year up that by 50% it'll cost the FA less than a couple of mill. If the league buys the best players from around the world, why not the best officials.

Also employ more technicians in the var room. At the moment it's a bit like watching a  granddad using tiktok.

... our ref against Wham _was_ from overseas.

I know that but hes not been poached or anything. He's been here 5 years. It's not like the league have put out targets to find the right men.

Our non-handball is a weird one.

I think proximity should overrule everything, including natural vs unnatural position, so if I was king of the world, it wouldn't be handball.

But based on what I think the rules are, he's making his body bigger unnaturally so it should be a pen?

Idk

Â