General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Saw some people saying they thought the new ref was alright on twitter. 

Absolute dog shite. Basic decisions completely wrong, lost control of the game, and bottled giving Traore a second yellow. 

He's like every other ref. 

He was OK 1st half, got their penalty shout right and VAR made the dodgy decision not him 

Lost it 2nd half, the Luiz back pass was bizarre and that was what the 47th minute? All down hill from there 

It's officiating like today that makes you hope there is corruption, because not only would it explain a lot but it could also be easier to address than the sheer and utter incompetence that we witness from the top down week after week.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 18/02/2024 at 10:04, kurtsimonw said:

Saw some people saying they thought the new ref was alright on twitter. 

Absolute dog shite. Basic decisions completely wrong, lost control of the game, and bottled giving Traore a second yellow. 

He's like every other ref. 

Thing is we complain about refs until they do something about it and give a new guy from a lower level his first go, then give him pelters as well.  I don't think he was that bad, probably reffed it like a Championship match and the VAR let him down in one or two things.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The players are as bad as the officials on the rules

To be fair to him or did look kind of innocuous in real time. The replays showed how bad it was, but in real time from some angles it just looked like a player ran on to the swinging boot rather than a swinging boot planting in the side of the leg like it did.

Ok, clear the area. Incoming Dumb American questions ... If you "get" a yellow, can't that mean two opposite things? Do teams ever "get" a pen? What are the proper transitive verbs associated with fouls? Take? Draw? Give? Win? I'm getting very confused by seemingly dual meanings. "We got a yellow card" can mean we both received one or gave one, right? 🫤

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Ok, clear the area. Incoming Dumb American questions ... If you "get" a yellow, can't that mean two opposite things? Do teams ever "get" a pen? What are the proper transitive verbs associated with fouls? Take? Draw? Give? Win? I'm getting very confused by seemingly dual meanings. "We got a yellow card" can mean we both received one or gave one, right? 🫤

You can't take a foul, you can take a free kick, throw in, corner or penalty.  Emi can take a goal kick.  Pau Torres can take the piss (put of oncoming strikers and make them look stupid).

A typical example would be Jack Grealish can "draw a foul", it means you're shielding the ball or using it in such a way that you're ensuring contact with the player results in him getting a foul.  Basically if you have the ball, you're looking to get a free kick.

A ref can give a foul, because a tackle has been attempted but the ball wasn't touched, but the player was, halting their progress. A ref can give a yellow if he thinks the foul was bad enough or the player has been persistently fouling (accumulating fouls).

"Winning" can be used a bit like "drawing" - a player can "win a foul".  I don't think you can say "the player has won a yellow" because no-one wants a yellow. You can "win" a penalty too, but usually it would be said that the penalty has been "awarded" to a team as a result of the punishment given to the other team.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

You can't take a foul, you can take a free kick, throw in, corner or penalty.  Emi can take a goal kick.  Pau Torres can take the piss (put of oncoming strikers and make them look stupid).

A typical example would be Jack Grealish can "draw a foul", it means you're shielding the ball or using it in such a way that you're ensuring contact with the player results in him getting a foul.  Basically if you have the ball, you're looking to get a free kick.

A ref can give a foul, because a tackle has been attempted but the ball wasn't touched, but the player was, halting their progress. A ref can give a yellow if he thinks the foul was bad enough or the player has been persistently fouling (accumulating fouls).

"Winning" can be used a bit like "drawing" - a player can "win a foul".  I don't think you can say "the player has won a yellow" because no-one wants a yellow. You can "win" a penalty too, but usually it would be said that the penalty has been "awarded" to a team as a result of the punishment given to the other team.

Ahhhhh, I see. That really answers so many confusions I had! Thank you. It's a little bit like that lie/lay confusion in English. I think the less commonly heard "winning a foul" thing is what throws me most because a foul is a shortcoming in a player's game and to win it as an opposition team seems odd. Whenever I hear that a player has X number of yellows or reds, I often stop -- for a second -- and get confused by how commentators will he say he "got" or "received" X yellows, but in a different contexts, like you said, a player will be said to have "drawn" a foul -- which seems also to suggest they received a yellow a card, eg, "you drew the shortest straw," etc.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Nottingham Forest's appointment of Mark Clattenburg might just be an act of absolute evil genius.

He'll know all the current referee's and while his job might nominally be to advise Forest on refereeing matters, they'll be hoping his relationships with the PGMOL will help them influence the way they're refereed.

Premier league refereeing is often criticised for being a boys club of refereeing mates, all looking after each other and backing each other up - Forest have bought a member of the club, they've bought the ear of referee's.

A friendly chat with Mark, a catch up, chewing the fat, nothing untoward - while Clattenburg drops in the idea that their midfield dynamo is hard done by, a lovely lad, a bit awkward and anyway Rob, how's Liz, I know you were a bit worried when she was unwell, do you want another beer mate?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nottingham Forest's appointment of Mark Clattenburg might just be an act of absolute evil genius.

He'll know all the current referee's and while his job might nominally be to advise Forest on refereeing matters, they'll be hoping his relationships with the PGMOL will help them influence the way they're refereed.

Premier league refereeing is often criticised for being a boys club of refereeing mates, all looking after each other and backing each other up - Forest have bought a member of the club, they've bought the ear of referee's.

A friendly chat with Mark, a catch up, chewing the fat, nothing untoward - while Clattenburg drops in the idea that their midfield dynamo is hard done by, a lovely lad, a bit awkward and anyway Rob, how's Liz, I know you were a bit worried when she was unwell, do you want another beer mate?

And it has pissed off Gary Neville so win win

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'll spin it a different way, it'll be interesting to see how inventive their set pieces get and I wonder if macphee has some talks with various refs to see what he's allowed to do in terms of players standing offside etc

What clattenburg and forest won't admit is that he'll also no doubt be having conversations with them with regards to dark arts and potential gaps in the rules and what refs are looking for, how to draw fouls and win penalties etc even simple stuff like how refs perceive shielding the ball 

Hopefully too soon but vs us for example and forest even though they beat us struggled with our line in the last game, he comes in and gives them sessions on the various phases and how to be inactive and then active, an angle on the rules that they might not have understood before 

There's a place for it I think 

• Like 1

Maybe Ukraine are onto something :)

POLYGRAPH AND DRAW LOTS WHEN THEY ARE ASSIGNED TO A MATCH

Also, the Executive Committee of the UAF supported the proposal to introduce a mandatory examination by referees using a polygraph ("lie detector") in competitive and non-competitive periods.

In addition, a lottery system will be used to appoint referees for the match.

The head of the committee of arbitrators and the administration of the UAF is tasked with developing a procedure for research with the use of a polygraph and a procedure for drawing lots.

https://uaf.ua/article/50662

Â