Newkie Broon Pre Match Thread

rjw63

Any win will do and I'm not expecting a thrashing as some on here are as they're generally solid defensively, but really need to be winning this after back to back defeats. Need to start picking up points to get ourselves back up the table. 

For me, Watkins lack of goals is a concern and he could do with scoring here. McGinn out is annoying but hopefully Targett is available as Taylor is gash.

We have to take our chances. We have to clamp maximin down at source. Score early and dominate the ball. This season we're better at dominating the ball. But we must take the chances. Could be another Burnley game. They can't defend against quick movements and quicker passing. 

They're very passive in defence i.e they don't track runners. There's always space in the number 10 area. 

This is such a different game to the City game. Bruce played an attacking line up last time out and it didn't work so I expect to see Wilson on his own up front with two defensive midfielders in a 4-5-1.

I think we need to focus on ourselves here. Get the game winners on the ball and take the chance when they come. Disappointed McGinn is out but it gives someone else a chance to step up. Is there any update on Targett after he went off last night? 

Hopefully this line up:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

Traore Ramsey Barkley Jack

Watkins

You could drop Jack in for Ramsey and get ElGhazi in on the wing but I prefer Jack out wide linking up with Barkley. 

Can't see anything other than the type of football lesson Bruce got when he played Smith teams before. I expect they'll be disjointed and relying on an individual to do something special and I can't imagine they will keep the ball very well either. I think we're growing as a team and if we continue our improvement we'll give Newcastle a good beating. 

I am confident, but wary of them shit housing some dumb luck, or being so **** defensive it's an interminably frustrating game where we lose it due to losing our patience. 

But **** it. 6-0 Villa. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I am confident, but wary of them shit housing some dumb luck, or being so **** defensive it's an interminably frustrating game where we lose it due to losing our patience. 

But **** it. 6-0 Villa. 

They usually are defensive. My brother is a barcode so I watch most of their games. They sit deep but don't move we just can't afford to be sloppy.

We should win but we need to have the right mentality from the first minute ,that's key for me. No games are easy in the Premier League, even this one against a dispirited bunch of Geordies. 

Put in the same efforts as last night but with a bit more quality on the ball and in the final third, hopefully we can get a grip of the game early and dominate what will probably be a defensive opposition.

If Targett is fit then the back four speaks for itself. If he is unfit then I would prefer Hause to come in rather than Taylor, whether that be as a direct replacement for Matt or whether Mings shuffles across I wouldn't mind - I expect however Taylor will get the nod.

Presuming no incoming signings prior to this one then the only other decision is who comes in for SJM. I suspect it will be a straight swap for Ramsey - And if it is, good luck to him - a great opportunity to make is mark.

I personally would have a shuffle around, bring in AEG and put Jack centrally with Barkley and Luiz as the two behind - I just feel that we can dominate midfield areas if they choose to sit off and those three (on form) look a tasty option.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

We should win but we need to have the right mentality from the first minute ,that's key for me. No games are easy in the Premier League, even this one against a dispirited bunch of Geordies. 

Put in the same efforts as last night but with a bit more quality on the ball and in the final third, hopefully we can get a grip of the game early and dominate what will probably be a defensive opposition.

If Targett is fit then the back four speaks for itself. If he is unfit then I would prefer Hause to come in rather than Taylor, whether that be as a direct replacement for Matt or whether Mings shuffles across I wouldn't mind - I expect however Taylor will get the nod.

Presuming no incoming signings prior to this one then the only other decision is who comes in for SJM. I suspect it will be a straight swap for Ramsey - And if it is, good luck to him - a great opportunity to make is mark.

I personally would have a shuffle around, bring in AEG and put Jack centrally with Barkley and Luiz as the two behind - I just feel that we can dominate midfield areas if they choose to sit off and those three (on form) look a tasty option.

Absolutely. Dominating central midfield with our quality is the key. Frustrated with McGinn picking up a needless booking last night. I dont mind if it's a mistimed foul but dissent is unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Don_Simon said:

"Almost exactly" - ?

I should have just put 72 hours! (The Villa players have 72 hours and about 7 minutes rest. I guess the 7 minutes might not make a massive difference).