Newkie Broon Pre Match Thread

rjw63

19 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Looking at their forum, I have to say I actually feel bad for Newcastle fans. We've been there before. Have a look at their match thread. They're dreading watching their team again. Meanwhile, I'm itching to see us in action again.

They're pretty much what we were under the McLeish season and also last two years of Lambert when we went on endless scoreless runs. It is depressing as f*** just knowing you're treading water in premier league.

Looks like they're pinning all their hopes on Saint Maximn returning but he hasn't played since November 21st and we saw Barkley was a bit off it the other night.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, smg said:

St Maximin back in training all this week apparently how much more of a threat does that make them ? I’ve no idea never seen him play.

He played in both games v us last season so you must've seen him unless you don't see many of our games live or near live?

He's easily their best player and was genuinely exciting for most of last season but two months out with covid means next to no chance he'll play 90 minutes so interesting if they throw him in from start to get an hour out of him or just use him in last 30. Given the desperation I suspect they'll start him.

46 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He played in both games v us last season so you must've seen him unless you don't see many of our games live or near live?

He's easily their best player and was genuinely exciting for most of last season but two months out with covid means next to no chance he'll play 90 minutes so interesting if they throw him in from start to get an hour out of him or just use him in last 30. Given the desperation I suspect they'll start him.

Thanks for that might have seen the second game last season but he obviously didn’t draw my attention.

Saint Maxim is class for them. Pretty devastatingly quick and their biggest threat by a mile. Really wish we had McGinn for this one to break up and scrap it out with Longstaff etc. Always a tough game against the barcodes, am hoping if we can score first then we can get on top of them. Need to be clinical with any chances. Watkins does so much for us off the ball but his confidence in front of goal must be lacking massively as he has no goals in 9 games now. Would love him to score.

Mings and Cons will need to be ready for the elbows of Carroll and the movement of Gayle when he's inevitably brought on. Have seen some talk of Anwar being brought in, but can't see it to be honest, as I'm sure Smith will throw Ramsey in and keep Grealish wide. Barkey was very rusty against City but the minutes will have done his fitness no harm at all so expect he'll be given more minutes and start. We need him fit as he's a huge asset to us going forwards when he's fit.

As with all villa games, I always feel we need to score first to win. Hopefully the whole team are still angry and frustrated from the madness of Wednesday night and are up for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Highlight at VP watching him do a roulette by the corner flag into the doug Ellis. 

It's Bruce. He' will start him just like he did Kodjia after training about 3 days 12 months out with a broken ankle.

I fully expect him to blow a hamstring after 10 minutes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Highlight at VP watching him do a roulette by the corner flag into the doug Ellis. 

It's Bruce. He' will start him just like he did Kodjia after training about 3 days 12 months out with a broken ankle.

I fully expect him to blow a hamstring after 10 minutes.

Newcastle fans are already copping onto how many muscle injuries his players get and how he rushes them back and sets them further. Luckily ASM has only been ill with covid and hasn't been injured or I could see what you're saying happening tomorrow.

Think it will end 0-0 or 1-1. we are rusty and in mediocre form and they will aim for the 0-0 win.

A game we should win but I'm not feeling confident. Our squad is wafer thin and we are missing McGinn (and Dean Smith?). Hopefully Targett is fully recovered because the drop in quality to Taylor effects the whole team, it's like playing with 10 men when we have the ball. And we will against Bruce.

Hopefully we do what we are capable of and hopefully Watkins gets rewarded for all his hard work with a few goals.

I'd start Ramsey. Newcastle don't have a midfield that are going to dominate you and if they are gettiing on top, we can always change. Nakamba has played zero minutes since Dec 17th. Ramsey has incrementally got increased minutes each game he has come on + started against Wolves also and played it all i think. If he's good enough for 20 minutes against City he's good enough to start tomorrow.

Newcastle line up

Keeper

CB                         RB              RB                RB

DM

DM                        DM          CB                 Joeliniton

Carroll

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Loxstock92 said:

Thinking about tomorrow. How would you line up? With mcginn out, and with Newcastle playing 5 at the back, could we potentially line up in a 4-1-4-1? Or stick with 4-2-3-1?

BE08EDE2-3749-42B2-A1F6-D92FC871B194.jpeg

991BC91C-80E7-4FE8-8A99-F3CDE0A6760D.jpeg

I would much prefer the top lineup.

Don't trust Barkley to not lose the ball in key areas. Him and Jack is frighteningly attacking.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I would much prefer the top lineup.

Don't trust Barkley to not lose the ball in key areas. Him and Jack is frighteningly attacking.

Thing about Newcastle is, the midfield is really only there due to convention, they don't do anything. The ball is sailing over their heads half the time anyway, and even out of possession, they're slow as molasses and seem to be instructed not to press. Luiz - Jack - Ross I imagine wouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. If anything, they have the added advantage that they can keep the ball where their opponents can't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Thing about Newcastle is, the midfield is really only there due to convention, they don't do anything. The ball is sailing over their heads half the time anyway, and even out of possession, they're slow as molasses and seem to be instructed not to press. Luiz - Jack - Ross I imagine wouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage. If anything, they have the added advantage that they can keep the ball where their opponents can't.

It really stands out now when a premier league team dosen't press much. Go back 10 years and we didn't do it much under O'Neill and we were a top 6 team. Now it's only really the likes of Burnley, Palace and Newcastle who prefer to sit defence and midfield deep and just pick up loose passes.

I went to the November game and couldn't believe how much they stood off us. Hourihane was flying all over the place playing his 1-2s with Jack and having an excellent game and we know he struggles badly against manic press teams as in fairness most of our team do when we come up against a Southampton who can run teams into the ground.

That's why Newcastle fans hate Bruce so much. Southampton have good players but you wouldn't say their squad is miles better than what Newcastle have but look at the difference in how both play and how well coached or not they both are.

• Like 2