Newkie Broon Pre Match Thread

rjw63

I don't dislike Newcastle as much as others do. With what they are going through with Mike Ashley, the worst possible owner you could get, and Steve Bruce, the worst possible manager you could get in their situation, I kind of feel sorry for them.

That being said, I would rather opposing fans hated us than felt sorry for us.

Oh well. Sucks to be them.

There was a time when this type of game had banana skin written all over it, but such is the progress of this still to get better team, I see nothing but a clear - cut victory. 

Both Grealish and Watkins to end their droughts. I'm sensing the proverbial straw for Mr Bruce. 

Knowing our luck we'll batter them for 89 mins and then they'll get a flukey 90th min goal.   Then Bruce will give a post match interview saying he won it for the cabbage. 

15 hours ago, sne said:

Think it will end 0-0 or 1-1. we are rusty and in mediocre form and they will aim for the 0-0 win.

A game we should win but I'm not feeling confident. Our squad is wafer thin and we are missing McGinn (and Dean Smith?). Hopefully Targett is fully recovered because the drop in quality to Taylor effects the whole team, it's like playing with 10 men when we have the ball. And we will against Bruce.

Hopefully we do what we are capable of and hopefully Watkins gets rewarded for all his hard work with a few goals.

Mediocre form. Is that a genuine thought? 

15 hours ago, sne said:

Think it will end 0-0 or 1-1. we are rusty and in mediocre form and they will aim for the 0-0 win.

A game we should win but I'm not feeling confident. Our squad is wafer thin and we are missing McGinn (and Dean Smith?). Hopefully Targett is fully recovered because the drop in quality to Taylor effects the whole team, it's like playing with 10 men when we have the ball. And we will against Bruce.

Hopefully we do what we are capable of and hopefully Watkins gets rewarded for all his hard work with a few goals.

To be fair our last 3 games have been Chelsea Man U and Man City away along with a covid outbreak in between.  It’s games like this we need to be winning to continue to push for a top 6 place.

I understand the concerns but I think this team has a lot of belief. They will win. 

18 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Mediocre form. Is that a genuine thought? 

Partly due to Covid cancelling games and rearranging the schedule our last win was almost a month ago. Out of the 3 games we have managed to play since we lost 2 and draw 1, against good opposition mind.

Think we were "unlucky" with the goals against City but we also looked very rusty in midfield and not very sharp in attacking or defending. 

Guess one can say we've played so few games in the last month that we don't really have any form. But I doubt the players coming back from Covid are well rested or has had any positives from it. Just look at how knackered Targett was against City.

Edited by sne

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Partly due to Covid cancelling games and rearranging the schedule our last win was almost a month ago. Out of the 3 games we have managed to play since we lost 2 and draw 1, against good opposition mind.

Think we were "unlucky" with the goals against City but we also looked very rusty in midfield and not very sharp in attacking or defending. 

Guess one can say we've played so few games in the last month that we don't really have any form. But I doubt the players coming back from Covid are well rested or has had any positives from it. Just look at how knackered Targett was against City.

Last five we've won two, lost two, drawn one. Lost to United and City, top two in the league, where draws in both were eminently possible. 

If that is "mediocre", the owners, players and coaches might as well not bother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Last five we've won two, lost two, drawn one. Lost to United and City, top two in the league, where draws in both were eminently possible. 

If that is "mediocre", the owners, players and coaches might as well not bother.

You think any of the top 6 clubs would see that as anything but mediocre form? 

It's more than OK form for a team that almost got relegated last season, I'll give you that.

Again my issue with our current form is a mix between Covid and a lack of games. Us winning a bunch of games in mid-late December doesn't really come into it.

Now Newcastle has also had these issues and they are a team we should beat either way but the momentum we had in December is not something that comes into it for me. 

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Their forum is a mixture of those expecting to be hammered and those HOPING to be hammered. There's even a few UTV posts. 

I think Bruce may be a tad unpopular. Lol

Yeah I remember those discussions on here about if it was OK for fans to hope for a loss that would be bad short term but good in the long run as it would move Bruce closer to the door as we were obviously going nowhere with him.

Good times! Can't say I miss it.

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I remember those discussions on here about if it was OK for fans to hope for a loss that would be bad short term but good in the long run as it would move Bruce closer to the door as we were obviously going nowhere with him.

Good times! Can't say I miss it.

Looking back, it seems positively Dickensian. Hard times. Very hard times (Kenneth in one, two...)

Edited by Michelsen

53 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Their forum is a mixture of those expecting to be hammered and those HOPING to be hammered. There's even a few UTV posts. 

I think Bruce may be a tad unpopular. Lol

So would it be unpopular on here to draw just so he stays there longer??

With SJM out, I imagine it's either between AEG or Ramsey to come in for him.

I personally feel AEG is more of a goal threat and was unlucky not to play at City so would go with him, but I do like Ramsey. 

He may also go with Nakamba alongside Luiz which again isn't a bad idea to give us maybe a bit more defensive solidity.

Trez is also back in the squad apparently but not sure he'll be put straight into the team - he does put in a shift though which would be useful at tracking Saint Maximin (if he starts for them). Traore always worries me defensively but that's usually against teams we have less possession than.

My team:

.......................Martinez.........................

Cash.......Konsa.......Mings.......Targett

..........................Luiz..............................

............Barkley...........Grealish..............

Traore.............................................AEG

.........................Watkins.........................

That team should dominate the ball and have enough to win. Really vital we get the result tonight and don't feel sorry for Newcastle - we've been in their position before but no one felt sorry for us. Have to be careful not to be caught high and at set pieces but hopefully we get the first goal and it's a comfortable night.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

21 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’m very tempted to pop on tenner on 3-0 at 11/1. We’re due another after winning five by that score already this season. 

I'm still amazed that we've won 4 (four) league games 3-0 this season, fantastic! 🙂 Fulham, Arsenal, West Brom and Palace.

• Like 1

I do feel sorry for their fans. We know what it’s like to be under lacklustre management styles, and have insufficient resources and backing.

I think they will try and grind out a 0-0, and ‘unfortunately’ for them I think Bruce will get them to finish above relegation maybe 14/15th... and that’ll be good enough to keep his job for next year too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

You think any of the top 6 clubs would see that as anything but mediocre form? 

It's more than OK form for a team that almost got relegated last season, I'll give you that.

Again my issue with our current form is a mix between Covid and a lack of games. Us winning a bunch of games in mid-late December doesn't really come into it.

Now Newcastle has also had these issues and they are a team we should beat either way but the momentum we had in December is not something that comes into it for me. 

We're not a top six club. We were in the Championship two seasons ago. Do you really put Villa in the same context as the top six? 

Anyway, I'm done with this. Up The Villa. Enjoy the game tonight mate.

• Confused 1