Newkie Broon Pre Match Thread

rjw63

23 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Why!? They’re just like us but they picked the wrong team! 😆 

It is true of course but I still feel the pain from the last 10 years, as someone else has said, the ideal would be for him to stay as their manager, best case for me is they play out of their skins and lose to a bit of bad luck, he looks good and we get the points.

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Southampton have good players but you wouldn't say their squad is miles better than what Newcastle have

I agree with your post’s sentiment but have to say I would say every single Southampton player is better than their equivalent at Newcastle. 

We haven't won in a month but of course it's worth remembering that we've only actually played 3 games since then in all competitions due to the Covid outbreak. One of those was away at United where we matched them and only lost due to bent refs, another was with kids against Liverpool and the other was away at arguably the best team in the league where the players were rusty due to being out for so long, and even then we probably would've got something were it not for corrupt refs (again).

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I agree with your post’s sentiment but have to say I would say every single Southampton player is better than their equivalent at Newcastle. 

Ings is better than Wilson I agree but WIlson is hardly worst forward in the league.

Saint Maximn when 100% is as good as Walcott although Theo's done really well since signing so good move for him.

Don't think there's much in Dubravka/McCarthy at all, infact I'd have Dubravak and again close with CBs, I'd say a year ago Schar was much better than Vestegaard for instance.

It depends on the coaching really. Bertrand didn't look up to a great deal here under Lambert and he had some really poor spells of form under Pellegrino and Mark Hughes when he wasn't even playing and Matt Targett was getting starts but back to England squad level quality under Hassenhuttl, same for Ward Prowse. Vestegaard was seen as joke defender not so long ago and Che Adams went nearly a year without scoring at prem level.

Put it this way Newcastle finish 18th this season and Southampton finish 6th which isn't impossible looking at the tables, there's no way the two 11s have 13 places between them.

41 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I want us to really dominate today. Take it to them from the first minute and play them off the park. 

We need to be aware of the counter......I see us taking the game to them, but if we lose possession too easily they can launch counters, and that could be tricky with Almiron, St Maximin and Wilson.

Edited by TRO

On 21/01/2021 at 18:45, Keyblade said:

Looking at their forum, I have to say I actually feel bad for Newcastle fans. We've been there before. Have a look at their match thread. They're dreading watching their team again. Meanwhile, I'm itching to see us in action again.

Yep, feel sorry for them. This one hits hard:

Screenshot_20210123_155313.thumb.jpg.f3193c3ee6026bdde1c6b5aa045e1437.jpg

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Ings is better than Wilson I agree but WIlson is hardly worst forward in the league.

Saint Maximn when 100% is as good as Walcott although Theo's done really well since signing so good move for him.

Don't think there's much in Dubravka/McCarthy at all, infact I'd have Dubravak and again close with CBs, I'd say a year ago Schar was much better than Vestegaard for instance.

It depends on the coaching really. Bertrand didn't look up to a great deal here under Lambert and he had some really poor spells of form under Pellegrino and Mark Hughes when he wasn't even playing and Matt Targett was getting starts but back to England squad level quality under Hassenhuttl, same for Ward Prowse. Vestegaard was seen as joke defender not so long ago and Che Adams went nearly a year without scoring at prem level.

Put it this way Newcastle finish 18th this season and Southampton finish 6th which isn't impossible looking at the tables, there's no way the two 11s have 13 places between them.

Dubravka can’t even get in the Newcastle team, let alone Southampton’s :)

Your point on 13 places is probably right. I’d put it more simply though - I think Southampton are slightly better than us and Newcastle are significantly worse.

Edit: ‘not much in centre backs’ I can’t agree with though! Ciaran Clark plays for Newcastle. Ciaran Clark!

Edited by Adam2003

15 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Dubravka can’t even get in the Newcastle team, let alone Southampton’s :)

Your point on 13 places is probably right. I’d put it more simply though - I think Southampton are slightly better than us and Newcastle are significantly worse.

Edit: ‘not much in centre backs’ I can’t agree with though! Ciaran Clark plays for Newcastle. Ciaran Clark!

Clark's only playing because of Lascelles illness. He's captain normally and Schar and Fernandez alongside him is their first choice, Fernandez was a regular at Napoli and Argentina not so long ago.

Dubravaka been quality for a few seasons but got injured and their other keeper has played well so can't get back in currently.

I think we can finish above Southampton even though they're a good team nowadays. Probably talking about 8th or 9th and it will be pretty close end of the season.