Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

On 16/01/2021 at 20:26, HalfTimePost said:

A thread from our Friendly Neighbourhood Analyticsman

Worth reading the lot but This bigger things:

Goes on to say he matches McGinn best in our side.

But also that playing Sanson-Luiz-McGinn (I.e. instead of Barkley) would make us even harder to breakdown and Sanson would still be capable of pushing forwards in attack.

TLDR: he'd likely compete with McGinn, but also gives an option instead of Barkley if we need more energy and grit in midfield. So, strong Midfield competition. On this basis, I'm in. Exactly what we need.

This is probably worth a revisit if its looks like Emery has him in his plans...

Would be great to integrate sanson, i know its a long shot but i believe he has all the attributes to thrive under emery, it will basically be like having lo celso in the team, sanson just needs to not get injured or lose his shit and he will get to play games for us.

• Like 3

Players going on these tours doesn't mean they're in the manager's plans, last season Guilbert, Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, and Davis all went to Australia, a number of the players going to USA will be sold if bids come in, Sanson being in the squad just means that a move isn't close for him.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

Players going on these tours doesn't mean they're in the manager's plans, last season Guilbert, Nakamba, Sanson, Traore, and Davis all went to Australia, a number of the players going to USA will be sold if bids come in, Sanson being in the squad just means that a move isn't close for him.

Or this...useless talking sense as always.

I’ve given up on the idea of him “making it” at Villa, mainly due to length of time and little to no change regarding his situation… but I’m open to being surprised… can he also stay fit? Suppose he did well at Strasbourg… can be useful, if he’ll accept a relatively bit-part role…

We could just be keeping him fit and available, primed for a move at a reasonable fee…

IMO, it’s time for us to really kick on now and enhance the quality of our team and the options in our squad. Not hold back, look for small measures or be sentimental…

Move players out to bring in superior ones…

What it does show is he's training well and is professional even if he knows his time here is limited.

He'd actually be a good signing for one of the lower sides based on his pedigree in France but guess wages are too high for Wolves and Everton unless they wait late.

It's a shame how his time has gone here and now we simply have too many quality options ahead for him to have a realistic chance of playing unless we have a ridiculous injury crisis.

It's weird as I remember 20 years ago we signed a guy called Mathieu Berson who was reasonably rated in France and he had some tidy games for us but was constantly dropped so could never get a run of 4-5 starts and think we ended up just loaning him out for two seasons.

Good job Kamara has been a big success as we don't really do well with French players!

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What it does show is he's training well and is professional even if he knows his time here is limited.

He'd actually be a good signing for one of the lower sides based on his pedigree in France but guess wages are too high for Wolves and Everton unless they wait late.

It's a shame how his time has gone here and now we simply have too many quality options ahead for him to have a realistic chance of playing unless we have a ridiculous injury crisis.

It's weird as I remember 20 years ago we signed a guy called Mathieu Berson who was reasonably rated in France and he had some tidy games for us but was constantly dropped so could never get a run of 4-5 starts and think we ended up just loaning him out for two seasons.

Good job Kamara has been a big success as we don't really do well with French players!

Remember Berson as well. Protracted transfer from DOL and then never really played.
Sanson all but done with us, imo. UE maybe keeping him in shop window as US games will be global viewing?

Emery gave him quite a talking to after about 15 minutes of him playing against Walsall - I think he was annoyed that he wasn't following instructions and I think maybe that's what has bothered previous managers about him too. How he played after that talk was very different too; perhaps more subdued but much more positionally disciplined. 

It might be that he's a bit stubborn, arrogant or dim and has been difficult to train. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Villa Analytics Tweet quoted by @MrBlack says he is best placed to replace John McGinn. 

That just isn’t going to happen because McGinn has grown so much in form and effectiveness under Emery while Sanson simply hasn’t. 

Edited by briny_ear

10 hours ago, useless said:

Steven Gerrard was manager for that material.

Steven Gerrard had no **** idea what he was doing.

Ergo, given the chasm of difference between Emery and Gerrard, it's likely Emery sees Sanson as captain material.

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Emery gave him quite a talking to after about 15 minutes of him playing against Walsall - I think he was annoyed that he wasn't following instructions and I think maybe that's what has bothered previous managers about him too. How he played after that talk was very different too; perhaps more subdued but much more positionally disciplined. 

It might be that he's a bit stubborn, arrogant or dim and has been difficult to train. 

When he came on after half time he played behind Watkins in the Buendia/Bailey role. After we made the rest of the substitutions in the 65th minute he moved into a defensive midfield role. I doubt he was given a "talking to", but rather tactical instructions.

• Like 3

Â