Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/21 at 23:59

The false equivalencies being made on social media about that penalty decision are hilarious. It’s a lesson in bad argument. They all go along these lines:

Villa fan: ‘that wasn’t a penalty’

Utd fan: ‘it was’

Villa fan: ‘the replay shows Pogba tripping himself up’

Utd fan: ‘well, Grealish dives, so it clearly was a penalty’

Villa fan: *sucked into defending Grealish*

Utd fan: ‘look: Luiz was near to Pogba. Penalty’

I read these exchanges dumbfounded. Half these people shouldn’t be allowed on the streets.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I couldn’t believe it when he said that completely seriously and am surprised not many people have picked up on it, it was ridiculous. Obviously Andy Cole agreed with him. 

I know. I was sat there utterly perplexed. Just shows the very poor standard of punditry that exists across various platforms now. 

I’ll forgive Darren Bent for turning up dressed as Toad of Toad Hall, but becoming a wide-eyed Man U fanboy for the evening is a step too far. Isn’t the idea of having an ex-player from each team to get two points of view? Doesn’t really work when one guy is leaping out of his chair to say “I agree!”. Still, at least he will have left the studio with Andy Cole’s autograph and a great story to tell his friends about his big day out as a Man U mascot.

• Like 4

After some time to reflect, despite the outcome I'm really happy with our performance, particularly in the second half. It took a jammy goal, a dubious penalty, and both Pogba and Bailly turning up and playing out of their skin to stop us. Our players will be pissed off at the result, but at the same time they will take confidence knowing we were evenly matched with, and at times better than, Chelsea and Man Utd.

What progress we have made. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 2

I predicted a plucky 2-1 defeat with man ure getting a pen. If only my lotto predictions were as spot on.

I just wish De Gea would have one of his flappy, bow legged days against us just once....but no, he doesn't cock up at all. We played really well but i hope any players suffer from burn out, playing such a settled side week in week out. This isn't 1981 sadly.

3 hours ago, Paul33 said:

It was a penalty. Luiz caught him and that was always going to be enough. If they did that to Jack, he'd have gone down and we'd all be applauding !

Nothing wrong with yesterday's game or officiating ...... Villa were just 3/10 poor for 45 minutes and 6/10 okay for second 45 minutes and that wasn't quite enough to beat a mediocre Man Ure side.

Give up on the lame excuses and lets move on !

I don’t think we were poor and I think we made a Man United side look mediocre. On another day Villa win that match. If the penalty doesn’t happen so soon after the equaliser I believe we would’ve gone on to win the game. 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Pogba clipped his leg against Luiz then tripped himself over, all whilst sticking his arm in his face

Kinda miss Andy Gray and Richard Keys on Sky Sports, least Andy didn’t shy away from calling a bad decision a bad decision. 

3 hours ago, Paul33 said:

It was a penalty. Luiz caught him and that was always going to be enough. If they did that to Jack, he'd have gone down and we'd all be applauding !

Nothing wrong with yesterday's game or officiating ...... Villa were just 3/10 poor for 45 minutes and 6/10 okay for second 45 minutes and that wasn't quite enough to beat a mediocre Man Ure side.

Give up on the lame excuses and lets move on !

Also Luiz didn’t catch him, Pogba caught luiz, what’s the law of the game for incidents like that I wonder. 

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

The false equivalencies being made on social media about that penalty decision are hilarious. It’s a lesson in bad argument. They all go along these lines:

Villa fan: ‘that wasn’t a penalty’

Utd fan: ‘it was’

Villa fan: ‘the replay shows Pogba tripping himself up’

Utd fan: ‘well, Grealish dives, so it clearly was a penalty’

Villa fan: *sucked into defending Grealish*

Utd fan: ‘look: Luiz was near to Pogba. Penalty’

I read these exchanges dumbfounded. Half these people shouldn’t be allowed on the streets.

I’ve also seen: “If Villa are allowed to get away that quick FK for their goal then it’s definitely a PK for United.”

Where to begin??

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

Can't disagree more.

Defensively Cash is poor.

He makes some headline last gasp tackles but often stands and stares while opponents run by him, his positional awareness is poor and he oftens fails to track his man.

He was very fortunate when Shaw burst past him and he fell to his knees because there was very little contact.

Not good enough defensively for this league.  Hell, he wasnt good enough defensively in the champ for Forrest!

You said it yourself, Traore offered no cover. Cash is still expected to defend and attack. With little cover from Traore or someone else filling in of course he's going to get caught out of position and yes he did get lucky against Shaw but that doesn't mean he's shit defensively or played shit.

Took a break from villatalk as felt so gutted couldn’t handle reading how it’s all Mings fault. He should have done better for the goal but apart from that played really well. 

The whole team battled so hard against a Man U team that tuned up for once.  We should be proud of them. 

The penalty is a f**king farce but what do you expect against a team that had 33 penalty’s in their last 59 games.

@OutByEaster? @Paul33 @Stevo985

Plucked a few there who think it was a pen.

Out of interest do you think Grealish would have been given that pen? I don't.

Do you think if Oliver hadn't given it, VAR would have got involved and said yeah that's a pen. They would for Utd, no chance for us.

Painfully lopsided officiating. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It isn't refs picking up bungs or anything, they simply don't want to be the ones to stop the run or make headlines by giving anything against Utd.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Out of interest do you think Grealish would have been given that pen? I don't.

Do you think if Oliver hadn't given it, VAR would have got involved and said yeah that's a pen. They would for Utd, no chance for us.

Painfully lopsided officiating. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It isn't refs picking up bungs or anything, they simply don't want to be the ones to stop the run or make headlines by giving anything against Utd.

I think Grealish would have been given it.

I think it's one that VAR would have looked at and probably given. For both teams.

I didn't think the ref had a good game, United players weren't booked early enough for a succession of fouls and Maguire seemed to be able to pull Watkins wherever he wanted without a foul being given, but I think the penalty would have been given in just about every game this season.

I can definitely see why people could think it was a penalty, but I don't. The reason I've seen for people saying it is a penalty is that Pogba clips his toes on Luiz's calf before he trips himself over. If that was caused by Luiz then there would be some substance to the penalty claim but Luiz had his leg planted and it looked to me that Pogba turned his toes unnaturally outwards in order to engineer that contact.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Grealish would have been given it.

I think it's one that VAR would have looked at and probably given. For both teams.

I didn't think the ref had a good game, United players weren't booked early enough for a succession of fouls and Maguire seemed to be able to pull Watkins wherever he wanted without a foul being given, but I think the penalty would have been given in just about every game this season.

The ref gave it in real time - even Deano said it looked like a clear pen in real time - anyone would have got it, I agree.

Detailed zooming in and video analysis showed Pogba's leg and foot hitting Doug's leg and the that caused him to trip himself up. Completely accidental by Pogba, but it shouldn't have been given really on detailed analysis. But that's not what VAR is for (in my mind) - it wasn't a howler, it was the wrong decision in some people's eyes having reviewed the videos a day later. VAR should be left to eliminate absolute clear errors, not split interpretations of an incident, where it should go with the on field ref's (or Lino's) real time verdict. Maybe they could have called him to the monitor and maybe he'd have changed his view, but I'm not at all sure he would.

• Like 1

My thoughts echo exactly what Smith said in his post match interview. When I saw it in real time I said "penalty all day" ... it looked like Luiz had got too tight and put his arms round him. So I don't blame Oliver for whistling. 

My issue is that when you slow it down you can clearly see Pogba trips himself. So why were they so quick to move on? It seems that every time we get a penalty its re-played for about 5 minutes before a decision is made. They didn't even seem interested in checking it yesterday

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Detailed zooming in and video analysis showed Pogba's leg and foot hitting Doug's leg and the that caused him to trip himself up. Completely accidental by Pogba, but it shouldn't have been given really on detailed analysis. 

I'm a little further in than that, Doug places his right foot far too close to Pogba's running line and allows the contact. That's all you have to do to commit a foul nowadays in the box; allow yourself to get in the way. His calf then makes contact with Pogba's ankle, Pogba's foot goes across as a result and he trips. I thought it was the right decision, even on replay.

Â