VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

**** no. Nanci Griffith has died. 

Shit. Shit. Shit. This is a bad one for me. Absolutely loved her. The first gig that Mrs M and I went to after our first daughter was born was Nanci and the Blue Moon Orchestra at the Harehills Astoria in Leeds (Nanci said it was the nearest thing to a Texas honkytonk she'd seen in England). The great Irish guitarist Philip Donnelly on lead - also now gone (2019). And she played my request of 'Sing One For Sister' as the encore. Saw her again at Bradford a few years later, this time with Barry 'Byrd' Burton from The Amazing Rhythm Aces on guitar. In recent years she's been a recluse. She'd survived breast cancer, and did have arthritis in her hands which prevented her from playing guitar, but there were persistent rumours of depression and alcoholism. 

68, one year older than me. Christ. 

Nanci Griffith was a great talent given short shrift in Texas and Nashville. If you veer off the main road they don't even want to try to understand you. 

She's asked that the cause of death not be announced until next week. Very mysterious. And sad. 

• Like 1

I knew he'd been unwell for a while, but that's devastating news. One of the best mainstream comedians, his standup sets used to have me crying, and he was brilliant on 8 out of 10 cats as well.

One of my favourite moments:

• Like 2

He'd had skin cancer for years, unfortunately looks like it finally overwhelmed him.

I was never the biggest Lock fan (the stuff that really made him a household name like 8 Out of 10 Cats I never have watched) but he was usually one of the better guests on the various shows he'd rock up on.

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He'd had skin cancer for years, unfortunately looks like it finally overwhelmed him.

I was never the biggest Lock fan (the stuff that really made him a household name like 8 Out of 10 Cats I never have watched) but he was usually one of the better guests on the various shows he'd rock up on.

This is the best thing he ever did. It's mad to think Benedict Wong is probably more famous now.

So shocked about Sean Locks passing, as has been said, his quick wit was perfect for shows like 8 out of 10 cats.

Ive watched it several times and thought he didn’t look particularly healthy without knowing he was fighting cancer.

RIP.

51 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Comedian Sean Lock gone at 58.

He was a really good friend of one of my good friends. He’ll be absolutely gutted.

A genuinely funny bloke who will be missed by a lot of people. He was one of those people who made friends everywhere he went

• Sad 1