VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

Paul Mariner former Ipswich and England player has passed away, a player I remember from my younger days when I first started watching football. RIP

Paul Mariner ex England Footballer dies aged 68

Former England striker Paul Mariner, who won the FA Cup and Uefa Cup with Ipswich Town, has died, aged 68.

Mariner began his league career at Plymouth Argyle and also played for Arsenal and Portsmouth. 

He made 35 appearances for England, scoring 13 goals.

I knew Paul Mariner. He was an occasional bar customer of mine in Boston while he was a match commentator for New England Revolution. Pleasant enough guy. We talked football. Last time I saw him I was working at a different bar and he was with his TV partner, a smug American dickhead who I ended up kicking out of the bar that night for being an insulting smug dickhead who wasn't getting his way. Mariner left with him. Sad that that was how it was left. 

68 is way too young these days. Life is unfair.

• Like 3

Jonathan Coleman (Jono) DJ. 

Mind you as he had a show on Virgin Radio, the former incarnation of Absolute Radio I don't expect much sympathy on here. 

Edited by sidcow

Top country and session fiddle player Byron Berline, 77, covid. :(

Berline recorded with many well known musicians including The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Elton John, The Byrds, Janis Ian, Earl Scruggs, Dillard & Clark, Willie Nelson, Guthrie Thomas, Bill Monroe, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Doc Watson, John Denver, Gene Clark, Rod Stewart, The Eagles, The Band, Vince Gill, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Alabama, Don Francisco, Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Dillards, Mason Williams, Stephen Stills, Bill Wyman, Manhattan Transfer, Joe Diffie, The Doobie Brothers, Lucinda Williams, François Vola, Mickey Gilley, Deke Leonard and Andy Statman. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Berline recorded with many well known musicians including The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Elton John, The Byrds, Janis Ian, Earl Scruggs, Dillard & Clark, Willie Nelson, Guthrie Thomas, Bill Monroe, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Doc Watson, John Denver, Gene Clark, Rod Stewart, The Eagles, The Band, Vince Gill, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Tammy Wynette, Alabama, Don Francisco, Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Dillards, Mason Williams, Stephen Stills, Bill Wyman, Manhattan Transfer, Joe Diffie, The Doobie Brothers, Lucinda Williams, François Vola, Mickey Gilley, Deke Leonard and Andy Statman. 

I must admit I know the name but only know of his work on Country Honk. 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Some of these session players lived more interesting lives than the stars. Steadier and longer careers, too. And none of the celebrity bullshit. 

• Like 3

On 10/07/2021 at 06:56, theboyangel said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57786230

Seb Eubank, son of Chris Eubank dead at 29yrs. Didn’t realise he was also a pro boxer - sad news and way too young.

My wife’s mum, always quick to get things wrong, told me about this yesterday… expect she told me that Chris Eubank Snr had died. 

• Shocked 1