VillaTalk Deadpool 2021

Xela

Fuuuuuu.......................

I'm on a proper downer now

RIP Scratch

A mentalist, a nutter and an absolute genius

No-one understood riddim like him, he was the best there has ever been in his field, his influences go far and wide and no one will ever replace him. A genuine one off, there have always been imitators but you can always spot the difference

The man miced up a cow in the studio and it worked

Absolutely the Picasso of the Dub world and so much more. Without Lee Perry, there'd be no Bob Marley, in fact without him reggae would be a much smaller phenomena than it is.

I don't know what to play here, Police and Thieves by Junior Murvin, Complete Control by The Clash, War in Babylon by Max Romeo, any number of early Bob Marley tracks ... a whole f***ton of his own tracks but I'll settle with

I really don't think any musicians death has ever upset me as much

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, bickster said:

RIP Scratch

No-one understood riddim like him, he was the best there has ever been in his field, his influences go far and wide and no one will ever replace him. A genuine one off, there have always been imitators but you can always spot the difference

Absolutely the Picasso of the Dub world and so much more. Without Lee Perry, there'd be no Bob Marley, in fact without him reggae would be a much smaller phenomena than it is.

I don't know what to play here, Police and Thieves by Junior Murvin, Complete Control by The Clash, War in Babylon by Max Romeo, any number of early Bob Marley tracks ... a whole f***ton of his own tracks but I'll settle with

I was the same when I heard. I was also unsure which of his songs to post on fb, so I just said fb will be getting spammed with my favourite Scratch joints ove the next week. 

• Like 2

Well, that sucks.

Without any sort of proper inventory I’d confidently say I’ve got more Lee Scratch Perry stuff than anything else. A vast catalogue of work right up to now with two new albums yet to be released.

Happy to have seen him play live.

I guess that’s today’s play list sorted, and now I really do need to get hold of a copy of Pressure Sounds 108.

Cheers to the Disco Devil.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Sarah Harding (39) of Girls Aloud has died after being diagnosed with advanced stage Breast Cancer

I know its a cliche but when you hear news like this, it really puts things into perspective. Arguing with people on here about Villa etc when ultimately its not that important. 

• Like 3

Unfortunately that news was expected, but still desperately sad.

Fair’s fair, when Girls Aloud were on top it always came across like she was properly enjoying it and everything that went with it (good and bad sides of fame). I don’t know know if that was truly the case, but she had the persona of someone who wasn’t going to shy away. It seemed like she enjoyed the perks of celebrity anyway.

And for what it’s worth, IMO as far as music that originates from an ITV talent show go, the likes of “No good advice”, “Something kinda ooh”, “Biology”… are incredibly catchy, fine examples of 00’s pop.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 04:30, Seat68 said:

I can't underplay just how upsetting this for me but one of, if not the greatest, songwriters and my favourite artists of all time has died. Tom T Hall. 

I can put any Tom T Hall album on, from any period and there isn't a track that I don't love. My parents were huge fans and it something that binds me and my siblings. We love the guy. 

He was known as the storyteller, you strapped your self in and listened because he was going to tell you a bloody story. 

**** gutted. 

Oh no, I missed this one. Old Dogs, Children & Watermelon wine is a lovely song and one of my Dad's go-to singsong numbers.

• Like 2

On 30/08/2021 at 00:06, bickster said:

RIP Scratch

City too hot is a  great track for a heatwave.