Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

On 02/12/2020 at 02:24, Sam-AVFC said:

We were only discussing this a couple of days ago and you said any changes wont stop teams signing players. Then it went to so what if it does. Then you didn't care because you don't think we'll spend in the next window. Now, literally hours after it was announced as finalised, you're saying the government "could" change it. They wont though, at least not any time soon.

They are all relevant points 

23 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

But I thought the EU controlled all immigration in Europe, robbed all the fish, and drained the NHS of 350 million pounds weekly? No?

I know you are trying to be funny but they don’t control non-Eu migration which is what my USA-Germany point was about.

22 hours ago, kidlewis said:

They won't change it short term, no chance, certainly not in 2021 unless they want to alienate every brexiter who voted for "border control". 

Back to the point on transfers. It means if anyone wants Jack he is now even more expensive than he was prior to January. Unfortunately the same will be for Barkley. Established British footballers in the Prem will be a premium from 2021 onwards. 

I think in order for us to spend anything in Jan we need to be on a fairly solid amount of points, and current form suggests that might not happen. 7 points would be an average return as I see the fixtures out of a possible 18. Leaving us on 22 points which wouldn't be enough IMO for the board to feel like we are guaranteed safety and spend again. By Jan 3 we should be on nearly 30 points.

I don’t see there being an extra premium on top of what there currently is, especially for Grealish as it’s literally only a handful of teams in world football who can pay for him anyway.

As for us buying players, where we are and how many points we have doesn’t come into it if we have met the limits of FFP or the owners don’t want to pump more money into the club this season, which is the only point I am making.

52 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I know you are trying to be funny but they don’t control non-Eu migration which is what my USA-Germany point was about.

I was trying to be funny, but they don't control it (right to employment/receive social benefits) within the EU either. Every country does this separately. This is why I had to go twice to an interview for a NI number when I moved to the UK and had to repeat the process when I moved to Germany to receive their equivalent to the NI number. Actually if anything the UK was more stringent than Germany despite the Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland going back nearly 100 years when compared to the relationship between Ireland and the EU being significantly younger.

The registration process is just a little more complicated for non-EU nationals.

I think there will be significant money available in January if the right player is obtainable. I don’t, however, envisage the type of quality we’d want being available this particular January window. 
We’re still at least 2-3 players short in areas that need improvement. We’ve no serious depth at CF, someone to challenge Watkins and push him to greater heights. LB remains debatable for me, I still don’t think we’ve enough athleticism there. And then there’s the RW/RF position that needs improvement, I’ve not seen too much from Traore that makes me think he’s the long term solution. So for me it’s CF, RW/RF, and LB  that are required, priority in that order. 

2 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think there will be significant money available in January if the right player is obtainable. I don’t, however, envisage the type of quality we’d want being available this particular January window. 
We’re still at least 2-3 players short in areas that need improvement. We’ve no serious depth at CF, someone to challenge Watkins and push him to greater heights. LB remains debatable for me, I still don’t think we’ve enough athleticism there. And then there’s the RW/RF position that needs improvement, I’ve not seen too much from Traore that makes me think he’s the long term solution. So for me it’s CF, RW/RF, and LB  that are required, priority in that order. 

I'd agree with most of that. I would put in there though that a central midfielder would be useful. I actually agree with @TRO that we need a tough tackling, high energy DM. I think to have the option to play a different way would be ideal. Also, if Doug gets injured, I don't think and more importantly I don't think Dean thinks that nakamba is up to it. I think LB would ok till next summer in all honesty. Targett isn't a world beater but he is ok. I think DM and probably a back up CB would be of more importance.

a decent backup CB might give Mings incentive. It's perhaps abit too comfortable for him right now. 

Also, a attack minded player that could play in a number of positions. A utility attacker if you like. I don't like el ghazi at all.

I think we need one or two decent younger players who can get on the bench and hope to make an impact when they get on. 

I think Wes coming back is a bit of a false dawn, he won't be up to speed until April at best. We are a bit light in the full back positions and like others I expect Fred to move on and (I think) Elmo's contract is up in the summer. Taylor has never cut it at this level so some cover there would help too. 

I'd also look at those who's contract's are expiring next summer to get some value in Jan. For me Lundstram at Sheffield United would provide good competition and he's only 26. The other one is Mitchell from Palace, he's 21 so he won't be free after his contract expires but he is a good left back for the future. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think we need one or two decent younger players who can get on the bench and hope to make an impact when they get on. 

I think Wes coming back is a bit of a false dawn, he won't be up to speed until April at best. We are a bit light in the full back positions and like others I expect Fred to move on and (I think) Elmo's contract is up in the summer. Taylor has never cut it at this level so some cover there would help too. 

I'd also look at those who's contract's are expiring next summer to get some value in Jan. For me Lundstram at Sheffield United would provide good competition and he's only 26. The other one is Mitchell from Palace, he's 21 so he won't be free after his contract expires but he is a good left back for the future. 

Bright Osayi-Samuel out of contract next summer too. Could do alot worse when looking at picking up at young RW.

I will be very disappointed if we signed Lundstram. He’s bang average, and would end up being another Lansbury that would sit on the wage bill for years as we wouldn’t be able to shift him. 

We need to sign players who will either improve the team now, or younger players who have the potential to be better than what we have now.

I didn’t think this in the summer, but I think central midfield is the most important position to fill right now. We have no quality coming off the bench there, and having good options there is the difference between coming top half and just above relegation zone. I’m not a scout, and have no idea who we should target, but a better version of Nakamba would be ideal, especially if he could pass as well.

Edited by Rich192
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I will be very disappointed if we signed Lundstram. He’s bang average, and would end up being another Lansbury that would sit on the wage bill for years as we wouldn’t be able to shift him. 

We need to sign players who will either improve the team now, or younger players who have the potential to be better than what we have now.

I didn’t think this in the summer, but I think central midfield is the most important position to fill right now. We have no quality coming off the bench there, and having good options there is the difference between coming top half and just above relegation zone. I’m not a scout, and have no idea who we should target, but a better version of Nakamba would be ideal, especially if he could pass as well.

I don't think that's fair on Lundstram, he's far better than Lansbury.

He's also very different to anything we've got. He's big, physical, can get around the pitch and makes good runs off the ball. He's a bit short on it but we have plenty of ball players in the side.

If he was here now I would undoubtedly be starting him the next game in midfield alongside Luiz and McGinn. That would mean McGinn could move over to the left and link up with Grealish a bit more.

I don't think it'll happen because he wants a big juicy contract for his 26-31 years and I don't think we'd be willing to hand one over. He'll get one off someone because they aren't paying a transfer fee, and they'll be getting a decent player.

3 hours ago, Rich192 said:

ditto

6 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I was trying to be funny, but they don't control it (right to employment/receive social benefits) within the EU either. Every country does this separately. This is why I had to go twice to an interview for a NI number when I moved to the UK and had to repeat the process when I moved to Germany to receive their equivalent to the NI number. Actually if anything the UK was more stringent than Germany despite the Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland going back nearly 100 years when compared to the relationship between Ireland and the EU being significantly younger.

The registration process is just a little more complicated for non-EU nationals.

I didn’t mention anything about benefits just simply immigration rules, I’m really not interested in a 2016 debate 

5 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Do you have anything to back up your belief? I haven’t followed the accounts but I doubt there is room for more spending under the regulations.

5 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I wouldn’t want him, aim higher and if you don’t have the funds then wait until you do, I don’t want wage passengers.

If we are looking at the more likely relegation candidates to pick people off in the summer there isn’t as many players you may want this year compared to last where there were multiple interesting players in each of the three teams.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think it'll happen because he wants a big juicy contract for his 26-31 years and I don't think we'd be willing to hand one over. He'll get one off someone because they aren't paying a transfer fee, and they'll be getting a decent player.

a 26-31 year deal seems a bit much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3