Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

8 minutes ago, striker said:

McGinn looks overweight to me which is still impacting on his form.

Luiz is tidy but doesn’t have the physical attributes to be a Premiership DM.

When you consider the above Villa are still too soft through the middle while I think a more rugged centre back is needed to play alongside either Konsa or Mings.

I’d also be inclined to play Cash further forward on the wing with Guilbert behind him. In my opinion Cash isn’t a Premiership FB and would improve Villa’s options out wide

A more physical DM is needed in Jan plus a better quality back up striker and someone to challenge Target. I’d also like to see a CB come in with more steel.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head regarding Mcginn mate.

I do think cash is a decent fb though but wouldn’t be against him playing further forward or even trying him back at dm, he would certainly add a bit more grit and steel in midfield and would allow us to move luiz further forward to compete with Mcginn.

I haven’t really seen much speculation about who we are after in jan but a cb, lb and striker/winger would be what I would hope for. I would love a marquee signing again, even if just on loan

• Like 1

Just now, Villa Stu said:

What about Rudiger or Tomori?

Yeah Tomori will be available and won't be on as high wages as Rudiger so I think that's a feasible target given West Ham nearly got him on last day on loan and Newcastle been linked with him for January.

We'd have to sign Barkley full time for that to happen but while Terry is here they'll also be a direct hotline to a Chelsea fringe player you suspect. He did alright for them last season when he played regularly.

22 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Who was our last commanding central midfielder? I'm genuinely struggling. 

One of the reasons why the team has, for so long, prior to promotion.

Edited by TRO

18 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Would sign axel in a heartbeat, would allow us a lot more flexibility in defence. 

Gareth Barry.....Oops, picked up the wrong post.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Who was our last commanding central midfielder? I'm genuinely struggling. 

Gareth Barry.

The problem is....it won't be a standout fan choice, because they are not eye candy.....It will be a pragmatic choice from a pro scout or club official.

Edited by TRO

Salifou signing was some of the most absurd this club has done.

Didn’t he come from a second division club in Switzerland or something?

Remember people trying to look for positives and posted a youtube video. It's the first and only time I've thought a YouTube compilation looking awful. It spoke volumes. Any 5 a side player can look good on those.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

One of the reason why the team has, for so long, prior to promotion.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Gareth Barry

It's weird in a way, because you could argue that it's an easier position to fill than a lot of others. 

I do feel it's our Achilles heel and as you said has been for years, it causes a lot of defending to occur which shouldn't be necessary.

I'd love a commanding central midfielder, and a centre forward like Tammy (I know hes not coming). 

The flexibility of a front 3 of Jack, ollie and Tammy swapping , knowing that a mistake wont let the opposition straight onto our defence because a Phillips type player is covering, would change us as a team. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

It's weird in a way, because you could argue that it's an easier position to fill than a lot of others. 

I do feel it's our Achilles heel and as you said has been for years, it causes a lot of defending to occur which shouldn't be necessary.

I'd love a commanding central midfielder, and a centre forward like Tammy (I know hes not coming). 

The flexibility of a front 3 of Jack, ollie and Tammy swapping , knowing that a mistake wont let the opposition straight onto our defence because a Phillips type player is covering, would change us as a team. 

You are right, it is easier to sign the players, we are suggesting.....a quality Glen whelan or Jedinak with energy and ability.

I think it would change us far beyond, what we think.

We have to be more respectful of the opposition and what I mean by that is be ready for their challenge and their attacks.

The player in question, needs to be athlectic and lively and can read the game, to snuff out danger....He needs to be a leader and dominate the centre....we rely too much on Jack further up the pitch to secure the ball.

I am not asking or expecting Dean to be like Jose, but he needs to take a leaf out of his book at times, but he also needs the personnel who can play without the ball....nots lots, but one or two for the squad.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Remember people trying to look for positives and posted a youtube video. It's the first and only time I've thought a YouTube compilation looking awful. It spoke volumes. Any 5 a side player can look good on those.

MON saw him play in world cup for Togo but yes he was complete journeyman at club level before and after signing for us. Was here 4 years and we gave him two contract extensions.:lol:

The Athletic surely got to do a piece on him soon unless I've missed it.

Depends what you mean by commanding midfielder really.

I mean Stan at his peak developed nicely into a good deepl lying midfielder who could protect defence well, pick a pass and he was very good at getting cheap free kicks to run clock down in games we were winning. Also helped a bit when Milner was placed next to give him some extra legs.

This was guy who came to us as attacking midfielder but sometimes you have to modify your game to make it in better league and he did. Doug seems to be following similar path but we need more alternatives around him than all out attack all the time which is pretty much the skillset of pretty much all our starting midfielders.

There is a guy playing for Stuttgart named Silas Wamangituka Fundu. Surely this is someone we must sign based on name alone :D 

He's 21 and has scored 5 in 10 games so far this season from RW

19 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Trezeguets YouTube clips were pretty bad too...