Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can see Giroud being the sort who'll sign for the Beckham backed MLS team although perhaps he wouldn't go there in January as he still wants to get in the French euros squad.

Giroud and Higuain be a fantastically mobile partnership

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Another loan like Barkley with option to buy in the summer?

If the budget allows... but lets not forget there is usually a fee and we have to factor the wages in, then we have to free up a space in the squad too.

Unless we look to be in relegation trouble come January or start losing players for the rest of the season then I doubt we'll bother much with new signings, and we probably won't be challenging for Europe either so won't need new players to help with that. One possible exception might be a new striker, depending on how Wesley's looking fitness wise.

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Unless we look to be in relegation trouble come January or start losing players for the rest of the season then I doubt we'll bother much with new signings, and we probably won't be challenging for Europe either so won't need new players to help with that. One possible exception might be a new striker, depending on how Wesley's looking fitness wise.

I think that is about right, if we had the budget I think with our current owners it would be spent in the last window.

Whatever position we finish in, if we get 50 points I will be satisfied with the progression of the extra points and look for 60 next time out with new recruits through the door.

I’ve read that post brexit Pl clubs cannot sign foreign players U18 at all and the rest will Be on a points based system. 

Jack and other domestic players will be more valuable and therefore more expensive 

1 hour ago, kidlewis said:

I’ve read that post brexit Pl clubs cannot sign foreign players U18 at all and the rest will Be on a points based system. 

Jack and other domestic players will be more valuable and therefore more expensive 

It's worth noting even if that is currently true the government could change it whenever they like.

I saw something similar to what you are saying as to why so many American boys end up with german clubs because that country has different immigration rules to other European countries.

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

It's worth noting even if that is currently true the government could change it whenever they like.

I saw something similar to what you are saying as to why so many American boys end up with german clubs because that country has different immigration rules to other European countries.

We were only discussing this a couple of days ago and you said any changes wont stop teams signing players. Then it went to so what if it does. Then you didn't care because you don't think we'll spend in the next window. Now, literally hours after it was announced as finalised, you're saying the government "could" change it. They wont though, at least not any time soon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

But I thought the EU controlled all immigration in Europe, robbed all the fish, and drained the NHS of 350 million pounds weekly? No?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

We can’t loan him because we’ve already got Barkley.

Ah I didn't know there was also a cap on players from one club. I thought it was just from within the league in general.

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

They won't change it short term, no chance, certainly not in 2021 unless they want to alienate every brexiter who voted for "border control". 

Back to the point on transfers. It means if anyone wants Jack he is now even more expensive than he was prior to January. Unfortunately the same will be for Barkley. Established British footballers in the Prem will be a premium from 2021 onwards. 

I think in order for us to spend anything in Jan we need to be on a fairly solid amount of points, and current form suggests that might not happen. 7 points would be an average return as I see the fixtures out of a possible 18. Leaving us on 22 points which wouldn't be enough IMO for the board to feel like we are guaranteed safety and spend again. By Jan 3 we should be on nearly 30 points.

I was told in the summer by someone within the game that we were either offered or made enquiries for Uros Racic at Valencia. Looks a fine player for sure and what we neEd to support and compete with McGinn and Luiz ...

I used to work for OUFC so still hear occasional snippets though nothing since then. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, useless said:

Yep. We are going to be a January victim of our early successes. We are a mid table side with games in hand with a demonstrably better roster of players than last year, so the board likely won't feel much pressure to spend a lot of money.

2 signings, max.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I was told in the summer by someone within the game that we were either offered or made enquiries for Uros Racic at Valencia. Looks a fine player for sure and what we neEd to support and compete with McGinn and Luiz ...

I used to work for OUFC so still hear occasional snippets though nothing since then. 

Looks like the balkanese Barkley

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MrSmirch said:

Come on Johan conjure us up a couple of world beaters.

Thats the thing for me.....they don't have to be world beaters.....just do the job.

• Like 1