Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Watching the Wolfsburg v Werder game on BT. Cracking game so far. That Rashica fellow looks quite good. Anyone know if we've been linked with him yet? 👀

At the risk of the VT pitchforks coming out at daring to suggest another player other than Rashica to sign.....Weghorst goalscoring stats have been really good for Wolfsburg and he's starting to get called up regularly by Holland.

Think Davis time is pretty much make or break now if he dosen't do much this season and who knows what state Wes wil be in so there will be vacancy for more targetman option in our front 3 soon I suspect so from what I've seen he'd be a good target to go after.

Brekalo looks an interesting talent aswell.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

At the risk of the VT pitchforks coming out at daring to suggest another player other than Rashica to sign.....Weghorst goalscoring stats have been really good for Wolfsburg and he's starting to get called up regularly by Holland.

Think Davis time is pretty much make or break now if he dosen't do much this season and who knows what state Wes wil be in so there will be vacancy for more targetman option in our front 3 soon I suspect so from what I've seen he'd be a good target to go after.

Brekalo looks an interesting talent aswell.

Weghorst is awesome. I've suggested him on here a few times. He's a natural goal scorer and a good old fashioned target man. Would be an amazing signing. I think his game is really suited to the Premier League.

• Like 3

On 25/11/2020 at 21:58, smg said:

Should have a look at that Atalanta keeper tonight looked quite tidy....... oh no wait a min we had him years ago , load of s..t not good enough for the prem, let’s buy / loan numerous other keepers before we’re happy. Should we have been more smart here ?

There was a lot of pressure on the club and within the club to get promoted as quickly as possible, and the lad was flaky at best. He also IIRC wanted an Italian goalkeeping coach, as he had had under Di Matteo, which obviously wasn't an option under Bruce.

Sometimes things don't work out. Sometimes players who don't work out go on to do good or even great things elsewhere. It doesn't mean keeping him was the right option (and it also doesn't mean he would have turned into the same player if he was struggling for game time here).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Bright Osayi-Samuel? 

@Villan4Life what's your verdict? Seen him a couple of times, looks strong, powerful and quick with a final pass. I like the look of him.

When i joined St Mirren in December 2017 he was one of my first suggestions to them for a loan move as he wasn't playing much at time for QPR but he had only joined from Blackpool a few months before. I had watched him  few times at Blackpool and really rate him.

He's a good talent and has come on leaps and bounds this last few years.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

There was a lot of pressure on the club and within the club to get promoted as quickly as possible, and the lad was flaky at best. He also IIRC wanted an Italian goalkeeping coach, as he had had under Di Matteo, which obviously wasn't an option under Bruce.

Sometimes things don't work out. Sometimes players who don't work out go on to do good or even great things elsewhere. It doesn't mean keeping him was the right option (and it also doesn't mean he would have turned into the same player if he was struggling for game time here).

Problem is over the years we have discarded too many good players because they didn’t perform instantly a little patience especially from the fan base might be beneficial sometimes.

8 minutes ago, smg said:

Problem is over the years we have discarded too many good players because they didn’t perform instantly a little patience especially from the fan base might be beneficial sometimes.

Have we actually, though? More than other, similarly-sized and situated clubs? A disproportionate amount?

I'm not trying to get at you, I just think that of course every club has stories of 'the ones who got away'. It would be great if the sport was all about long-term commitment and planning, but at the point Di Matteo got sacked we were not much above the relegation zone having won one match all season (against Rotherham). We really didn't feel like we had the luxury of time.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

When i joined St Mirren in December 2017 he was one of my first suggestions to them for a loan move as he wasn't playing much at time for QPR but he had only joined from Blackpool a few months before. I had watched him  few times at Blackpool and really rate him.

He's a good talent and has come on leaps and bounds this last few years.

Is on a free next summer 

Will follow eze to Palace I reckon 

It's going to be a fascinating window with work permit restrictions to be extended to EU players.

I'm dubious there will be a workable solution by the end of January, which would mean no more bargains from Europe, an even higher homegrown premium and probably very little business. I'm sure the PL have put proposals forwards, but the Home Office are likely to be more concerned with sorting out next summers' fruit pickers than footballers for now.

There was talk of a fixed transfer fee of £15m+ being enough for a WP, which means PL teams looking for first team signings wont suffer too much although teams like Brentford will be badly hit. It could actually be less restrictive for non-EU signings if the rumours of us paying £22m for Wesley just to get a WP are true.

There are some good talents in Scotland that get sold for next to nothing right now, so it wouldn't surprise me to see more PL clubs taking a punt and considerably more money going in to the Scottish league.

Did Leon bailey get a move last season, did he get snapped up by anyone??

And when does Takefuson Kubo loan end at VillaReal, should make a big play for him what a player I reckon hed be for us.

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's going to be a fascinating window with work permit restrictions to be extended to EU players.

I'm dubious there will be a workable solution by the end of January, which would mean no more bargains from Europe, an even higher homegrown premium and probably very little business. I'm sure the PL have put proposals forwards, but the Home Office are likely to be more concerned with sorting out next summers' fruit pickers than footballers for now.

There was talk of a fixed transfer fee of £15m+ being enough for a WP, which means PL teams looking for first team signings wont suffer too much although teams like Brentford will be badly hit. It could actually be less restrictive for non-EU signings if the rumours of us paying £22m for Wesley just to get a WP are true.

There are some good talents in Scotland that get sold for next to nothing right now, so it wouldn't surprise me to see more PL clubs taking a punt and considerably more money going in to the Scottish league.

Clubs manage to sign non-EU players currently, it will cause very little in the way of effects for a club who is serious about buying a player.

I watched a lot the Den Haag v Heerenveen game from the Dutch league at the weekend, and 21-year-old Mitchel van Bergen looks like a quality attacking prospect, very much in the same mould as Jack. Low centre of gravity, very creative, good skills with the ball at his feet. Everything that Heerenveen did in that game went through him on the left wing. (Saying that, they drew 1-1 in a game they should have won, but Den Haag defended really well).

His YouTube highlights leave a lot to be desired, and admittedly I've only watched him in one game, but I just thought I'd throw a random name into the thread.

Snap him up Villa. He should cost about 4 bags of Wotsits and a pack of facemasks.

On 28/11/2020 at 11:11, smg said:

Ahem.. Adama

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Clubs manage to sign non-EU players currently, it will cause very little in the way of effects for a club who is serious about buying a player.

By "serious about buying" you mean costs enough money or is already an established international.

The new rules would mean no Mahrez, Kante, Benrahma, Ayoze Perez, Groß, Maupay, Azpilicueta, Van Dijk, Coleman etc.

That's before you even start considering the likes of Fabregas who moved to an English academy as a teenager, which will no longer be possible.

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Did Leon bailey get a move last season, did he get snapped up by anyone??

And when does Takefuson Kubo loan end at VillaReal, should make a big play for him what a player I reckon hed be for us.

Bailey's still at Leverkusen and think he's started a lot more for them than last year. Scored 3 in europa league already.

I would assume though if Rashica actually goes to them in January they'd make him available to balance things up. Other wide player Diaby is also a fantastic talent.

They're always been brilliant at finding young players and developing them up within 2-3 years and then selling on. Alario would be a good signing for upfront although he's a bit older but would fit the experienced frontman role nicely.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

By "serious about buying" you mean costs enough money or is already an established international.

The new rules would mean no Mahrez, Kante, Benrahma, Ayoze Perez, Groß, Maupay, Azpilicueta, Van Dijk, Coleman etc.

That's before you even start considering the likes of Fabregas who moved to an English academy as a teenager, which will no longer be possible.

I simply mean have bid early for the player so the paper work is all done in time. If the rules mean certain players don't qualify for a work permit very early in their career then so what? The clubs will just have to develop players who do and buy less players who don't meet the criteria.
It is probably a benefit to a league that needs to develop more home grown players and has the highest revenue in the world by a country mile, therefore meaning we should be buying more of the finished article when buying abroad.

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I simply mean have bid early for the player so the paper work is all done in time. If the rules mean certain players don't qualify for a work permit very early in their career then so what? The clubs will just have to develop players who do and buy less players who don't meet the criteria.
It is probably a benefit to a league that needs to develop more home grown players and has the highest revenue in the world by a country mile, therefore meaning we should be buying more of the finished article when buying abroad.

It's absolutely possible it forces homegrown talent to develop more and that is the ideal situation long term. That wont happen by January though.

I still dispute what you said in the last post that it makes no difference if clubs are "serious" about buying players. I don't think any of the ones I listed were bought as a joke. I might be completely misunderstanding as I can't work out how bidding early is relevant to a work permit.

I've never said the changes will be a bad thing long term, just that it obviously does change things and to say otherwise is wrong. That will undoubtedly make for a different January window.

16 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

It's absolutely possible it forces homegrown talent to develop more and that is the ideal situation long term. That wont happen by January though.

I still dispute what you said in the last post that it makes no difference if clubs are "serious" about buying players. I don't think any of the ones I listed were bought as a joke. I might be completely misunderstanding as I can't work out how bidding early is relevant to a work permit.

I've never said the changes will be a bad thing long term, just that it obviously does change things and to say otherwise is wrong. That will undoubtedly make for a different January window.

Almost all the players you mentioned were unknowns/early in their career..... they could have developed elsewhere and been brought, it makes no difference to us.

We are also unlikely to be spending in January.