Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

4 minutes ago, sne said:

There is a guy playing for Stuttgart named Silas Wamangituka Fundu. Surely this is someone we must sign based on name alone :D 

He's 21 and has scored 5 in 10 games so far this season from RW

Scored twice v Rashica less Bremen today. One to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what you mean by commanding midfielder really.

I mean Stan at his peak developed nicely into a good deepl lying midfielder who could protect defence well, pick a pass and he was very good at getting cheap free kicks to run clock down in games we were winning. Also helped a bit when Milner was placed next to give him some extra legs.

This was guy who came to us as attacking midfielder but sometimes you have to modify your game to make it in better league and he did. Doug seems to be following similar path but we need more alternatives around him than all out attack all the time which is pretty much the skillset of pretty much all our starting midfielders.

If you saw Hojbjerg for Spurs today.....you would know what we mean.They say the game has changed, but it really hasn't, its like fashion, it has trends......Spurs showed today how to nullify their opponent and steal all the points.....you have to be able to do that to aspire to anything.

our football is a delight to watch at times and it will fill stadiums, eventually.....but there is a pragmatic side we could do better.....but we need players with a natural nose for it......over to you Dean and Johan.

• Like 1

Thought Hojbjerg was pretty average for Southampton but seems to have done well for Spurs. Would've thought Sissoko would be your type of midfielder TRO, not the most technically gifted but covers so much ground and excellent option for those sort of games where you have to sit a bit deeper and cover full backs regularly.

Doug can't do it all on his own so the problem is v likes of Leeds and Southampton we get overrun too much on quick counter attacks which lead to dangerous free kicks conceded for Ward Prowse to put away....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Thought Hojbjerg was pretty average for Southampton but seems to have done well for Spurs. Would've thought Sissoko would be your type of midfielder TRO, not the most technically gifted but covers so much ground and excellent option for those sort of games where you have to sit a bit deeper and cover full backs regularly.

Doug can't do it all on his own so the problem is v likes of Leeds and Southampton we get overrun too much on quick counter attacks which lead to dangerous free kicks conceded for Ward Prowse to put away....

You explain it very well.....yes i do like Moussa Cissoko too.

Don't get me wrong.....I don't want to fill the squad with them.....I just think we need a few options for balance....like them

The hardest player to sign, we already have.....Every team needs jack, but we need to sign a few who can help protect him....we have too many with attacking nous, but maybe a few not good enough, for that even.

it shouldn't be such a huge ask.....it just needs to be a priority, by the club, not sure it is, to be honest.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

but we need more alternatives around him than all out attack all the time which is pretty much the skillset of pretty much all our starting midfielders.

I agree, I want a midfielder who really sits in the middle third of the pitch, and isnt interested in making late runs in the box. I think you've nailed it when you say we've not got the variety. I think you could swap SJM and Dougie L, and it wouldn't make much difference. 

I'm watching the liverpool game wijnaldum plays thus role really well, not necessarily tackling all of the time, just being in the way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree, I want a midfielder who really sits in the middle third of the pitch, and isnt interested in making late runs in the box. I think you've nailed it when you say we've not got the variety. I think you could swap SJM and Dougie L, and it wouldn't make much difference. 

I'm watching the liverpool game wijnaldum plays thus role really well, not necessarily tackling all of the time, just being in the way. 

Said before but I'd love Milivojevic from Palace. Can sit and read the game.....and also brilliant on penalties.

However he signed a new deal at Palace not so long ago and 30 end of the season so dosen't fit our profile anymore.

Still they found him playing for Olympiakos four years ago for 15m so plenty out there in european football if we look beyond Belgium.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree, I want a midfielder who really sits in the middle third of the pitch, and isnt interested in making late runs in the box. 

I'm watching the liverpool game wijnaldum plays thus role really well.

And then he scores to destroy my argument!

Just now, VillaChris said:

Said before but I'd love Milivojevic from Palace. Can sit and read the game.....and also brilliant on penalties.

However he signed a new deal at Palace not so long ago and 30 end of the season so dosen't fit our profile anymore.

Still they found him playing for Olympiakos four years ago for 15m so plenty out there in european football if we look beyond Belgium.

Milo              Luiz

New Rw     Barkley         Jack

Watkins

That would be top 8 standard imo. Would also give us some decent options on bench to bring on to freshen up like SJM and Trez. And hopefully Traore within a few months.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Precisely.....i was going to mention him as well, until he turned up with a worldie and i thought it might detract from the point we are making.😄

Liverpool playing a great "cat and mouse"game, without the ball Liverpool are stupendous, so clever and tactful.

Their composure and strategy are a delight.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Our January transfer window could get decided by injuries again. After all the games in December all it takes is one or two longer terms injuries and we are left very light in a position. Barkley aside we’ve been quite lucky with injuries up to know. Really need it to continue.

Don't want too many loans.  If Ross continues to perform, all we will have done is increase his transfer fee.  We need to push on with a similar vein of recruitment as to the last window and get some strength in depth added to the squad. 

We desperately need a tall (ish), physical midfielder. One that can help defend and attack set pieces and sits in front of the back 4 allowing the forward thinking players (Grealish basically) to do his thing.
We're good going forward, but we are so easy to play through, especially at home. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We desperately need a tall (ish), physical midfielder. One that can help defend and attack set pieces and sits in front of the back 4 allowing the forward thinking players (Grealish basically) to do his thing.
We're good going forward, but we are so easy to play through, especially at home. 

I can't really believe how obvious and crucial that is.

a like x 10

Edited by TRO

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

There is plenty out there.....most of the other teams in the prem have them.