Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

14 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

And then he scores to destroy my argument!

I think he ventured forward, because he could.......your point was not lost on me, i got it in one.

Dele Alli would seem a busted flush, there’s having a dip in form and then there’s doing next to nothing for two seasons. On the positive side he did perform well for two seasons, so I guess you couldn’t call him a flash in the pan, either. I think he has to play in an attack minded side, so perhaps he’s disjointed under Jose? Whatever. I don’t think our most pressing position is an attacking midfielder, we have a more urgent need for a defensive midfielder. Rome wasn’t built in a day, if we have another couple of transfer windows that bring a similar amount of success as the summer 2020 window then we’ll be right on the heels of those top 5 or 6 clubs. It becomes more difficult the closer you get. Those top clubs will try to obtain our best players, they’ll also do all they can to disrupt our obtaining of better players. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is plenty out there.....most of the other teams in the prem have them.

We had to build a squad last summer and missed with a couple of key transfers. That's why thankfully Suso moved on.

Nakamba was the budget attempt at a defensive midfielder but is too short on the ball. Wes was the gamble up top that probably wasn't what we needed.

Takes time to build a squad due to FFP. We've spent over £200m on another 15 players since promotion.

Smith is playing with what he's got so going forward is the best bet. We don't have players good enough defensively we can trust.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

We had to build a squad last summer and missed with a couple of key transfers. That's why thankfully Suso moved on.

Nakamba was the budget attempt at a defensive midfielder but is too short on the ball. Wes was the gamble up top that probably wasn't what we needed.

Takes time to build a squad due to FFP. We've spent over £200m on another 15 players since promotion.

Smith is playing with what he's got so going forward is the best bet. We don't have players good enough defensively we can trust.

Wow.......We agree.

so i can look forward to more punts at who we should sign, who have a defensive capability as their prime attribute.

Balance is key to our future, we need players with contrast.....In Jack, we have the most precious playmaker around.....we need to have players to contrast him and protect him.....we have plenty of Offensive players, just need to get them to play better, but they can't do that, if they are scurrying back to defend and sometimes badly.....when we are defending, we need one or two, with a natural nose for it....and those kind of players don't always cost an arm and a leg.....they don't always stand out as obvious signings either.....they are more pragmatic calls.

When you look at some of the top managers, they are past masters at getting the balance right...yes, it takes time, but we have to get around to it, sooner rather than later.....we have already proved we can score goals, in every game and make Oodles of chances.....its the other end, which is undermining our great work.

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

That and he's been awful for the past two years.

and he's an absolute cock womble. Amazon documentary,  Jose slaughtering him under the guise of banter, calling him out for basically being a lazy word removed.

Dele's reaction.

Lol. Bantz. I am lazy. LOLOLOLOL.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Gana would be brilliant in this team. As would Adama, Amavi and probably Veretout.

We just signed them all at completely wrong time.

Signed them at the right time in their careers! Just had the wrong manager who signed Richards and Lescott to be the CBs in the side.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Milivojevic is well overrated by people that haven't watched him play much because of his penalties. He's in pretty good form at the moment, though I think it would be madness to consider him.

He's a good player for Palace and Serbia as he's proven in prem over last 3-4 years so to me that type is clear upgrade on a Nakamba who isn't trusted to start games anymore based on last season's efforts.

i said on last page he's on too long a contract and too close to 30 to be a serious transfer target for us with what we've done in last two years (could've seen Bruce going for him if we'd gone up in 2018) but we certainly need that steady DM alongside Luiz imo who can keep play ticking along with simple passes and help keep our shape infront of back 4.

Whelan actually did a good job at that for parts of 18/19 so I'm not that fussed about any new DM being a man mountain although taller players will help defending crosses and set pieces which we still aren't great at.

Probably more realistic target is Will Hughes. He played for first time this season for Watfoed on Saturday so I imagine we enquired during summer and were told he'd be injured for a while. That's the sort of tempo midfielder DS likes but again he's more box to box and upgrade on Hourihane rather than pure DM.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Signed them at the right time in their careers! Just had the wrong manager who signed Richards and Lescott to be the CBs in the side.

I'd rather have signed them all when we still had Vlaar, Benteke and Delph playing for us e.g. summer 2014. Would've actually had potential to become a top half team with a couple more smart buys in other positions e.g. keeper as Guzan was badly declining then and we could've pushed on instead of enduring what we did for next 3-4 years.

Imagine Benteke getting on end of Amavi crosses given Gestede scored 3-4 from them early on and Delph and Gana would've been nice mobile central midfield. Ironcialy Benteke and Ayew now at Palace and think Gana and Delph were briefly team mates at Everton so other clubs have that idea.

Think we're in a similar position now given we've added likes of Martinez, Watkins and Barkley and crucially keep Grealish and Luiz so big chance to push on if we can just look beyond 4 defeats in last 5.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd rather have signed them all when we still had Vlaar, Benteke and Delph playing for us e.g. summer 2014. Would've actually had potential to become a top half team with a couple more smart buys in other positions e.g. keeper as Guzan was badly declining then and we could've pushed on instead of enduring what we did for next 3-4 years.

Imagine Benteke getting on end of Amavi crosses given Gestede scored 3-4 from them early on and Delph and Gana would've been nice mobile central midfield. Ironcialy Benteke and Ayew now at Palace and think Gana and Delph were briefly team mates at Everton so other clubs have that idea.

Think we're in a similar position now given we've added likes of Martinez, Watkins and Barkley and crucially keep Grealish and Luiz so big chance to push on if we can just look beyond 4 defeats in last 5.

Absolutely I agree!

I mean their ages. We signed 3/4 very acceptable PL players for under £10m each when they were all under 23. They were all bargains even though the market has gone up since then.

It's the sort of move we should be making now, and hopefully will soon. I like Watkins and Cash but they were seriously premium priced. If those players bust it hurts you a lot with FFP as we now can't do a City and just keep buying and buying.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's a good player for Palace and Serbia as he's proven in prem over last 3-4 years so to me that type is clear upgrade on a Nakamba who isn't trusted to start games anymore based on last season's efforts.

i said on last page he's on too long a contract and too close to 30 to be a serious transfer target for us with what we've done in last two years (could've seen Bruce going for him if we'd gone up in 2018) but we certainly need that steady DM alongside Luiz imo who can keep play ticking along with simple passes and help keep our shape infront of back 4.

Whelan actually did a good job at that for parts of 18/19 so I'm not that fussed about any new DM being a man mountain although taller players will help defending crosses and set pieces which we still aren't great at.

Probably more realistic target is Will Hughes. He played for first time this season for Watfoed on Saturday so I imagine we enquired during summer and were told he'd be injured for a while. That's the sort of tempo midfielder DS likes but again he's more box to box and upgrade on Hourihane rather than pure DM.

I agree he's definitely better than Nakamba and it wasn't aimed at you specifically as I know you caveats it. 

He's just way too ponderous on the ball for me which is the last thing we need. 

Edited by Sam-AVFC

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Gana would be brilliant in this team. As would Adama, Amavi and probably Veretout.

We just signed them all at completely wrong time.

Veretout is a player, when Roma play well he makes them tick.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I hesitated on him a bit as I'm not sure English league is the right fit for him but he's certainly done very well in Serie A since going there.

I think not being in a shambles of a football club is the right fit for him. Felt sorry for the lad when he was at us, we dragged him down to our level. He did well to get out.

• Like 1