Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/20 at 23:59

11 hours ago, meregreen said:

Paul McGrath holds that distinction by a country mile in my estimation. But Jack is damn good.

Yes you might be right but Grealish is a player you get get excited about watching. You don't get that about defenders. My favourite players are always the game changers. Grealish then is the best player that has come through our academy 

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I absolutely love when Luiz is going forward.

He seems to love it as well.

Maybe one day we will get another proper DM and Luiz can move into a more advanced role. Luiz is just a wonderful footballer that has so much more to his game than just protecting the back 4.

The exciting thing is that as we continue to progress, current first teamers will need to improve or risk becoming subs and squad players, as we buy more quality.
And integrate the greatest U18 team that's every been assembled 😁

Seriously, I can see some current first choice players being on the bench in a couple of years - that's how far we'll progress (I hope!).

• Like 1

Verdict from a Baggies-supporting mate: 

I only saw the highlights of MoTD2 but have to agree Villa were tremendous .It was tragic that  the first 'goal' was ruled offside as the build up was stunning The combination of Grealish and Barklay will unsettle most defences and McGinn gives solidity and huge work rate.Watkins seems to have Vardy type instincts around the goal  How come Villa spotted his potential and the Baggies ended up with Callum Robinson? 

I think on the McGinn goal, if Barkely takes a step back it's given, I think it's the jump that gets it disallowed - he brings his knees up and I reckon that's the action that would convince the referee that he's an obstacle or a significant distraction - there's no way the keeper would have saved it anyway mind you.

Just to add my tuppence to the God V Grealish debate: 

Grealish is better in my opinion, he excites both fans and players alike with his squash-buckling displays. He is an athlete, a modern footballer.

I'm not going to criticise McGrath at all as he is one of our great modern players, but for me there is no comparison.

It is also said that the modern game is stronger, faster, quicker and more competitive than even twenty years ago.

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just to add my tuppence to the God V Grealish debate: 

Grealish is better in my opinion, he excites both fans and players alike with his squash-buckling displays. He is an athlete, a modern footballer.

I'm not going to criticise McGrath at all as he is one of our great modern players, but for me there is no comparison.

It is also said that the modern game is stronger, faster, quicker and more competitive than even twenty years ago.

I agree with that and also that the modern game is stronger, quicker and more competitive, that said, none are really that relevant if you know where the ball will be five seconds before it gets there 

• Like 2

Just now, Follyfoot said:

I agree with that and also that the modern game is stronger, quicker and more competitive, that said, none are really that relevant if you know where the ball will be five seconds before it gets there 

You are correct indeed and I nearly alluded to that in my post, none were better at reading the game as McGrath.

Grealish seems to have it too, that laser-sight ability to pick a pass, pull opposing players out of position like (I think it was Holding) in the build-up to the first goal.

• Like 1

Fantastic... thrilled for the team and coaches. 

Has an own goal ever won goal of the month? If not, there’s a chance for a first. The teasing dalliances of Barkley, Grealish and Targett in the build up for the ‘own goal’ were enchanting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

image.png.3525bccd75cb066c0e40a9110a49896d.png

... is it just me or is there something of the ages about this image? It's like one of those images that's used by the club to decorate the walls of the stadium to signify a particularly important moment, player or time in our history.

Quite a few of the players in this team are very personable and likeable.

Hopefully we can keep them all together for a few years. I think we have the makings of a very good side with just a few additions.

I think that was the best Villa performance of all this season. Because Arsenal weren’t playing badly but we had answers to every aspect of their game. We crowded them out in midfield, harried them off the ball in their defensive area, kept things tight in our box, and launched a whole series of pinpoint counterattacks.

Very hard to name a man of the match. that was such a good all round team performance. Grealish was obviously in his pomp, Barkley had some lovely touches and McGinn was near back to his best, but in the end I decided on Luiz, just for that ball into the box that led to the 2nd goal. That was a wonder to behold, worth watching over and over again, which I have been!

Happy days!

• Like 1

Â