Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/20 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

Fantastic... thrilled for the team and coaches. 

Has an own goal ever won goal of the month? If not, there’s a chance for a first. The teasing dalliances of Barkley, Grealish and Targett in the build up for the ‘own goal’ were enchanting. 

Can you imagine? That would be the final twist of the screw in Arsenal's painful weekend. To have goal of the month given for an own goal... Please make it happen!

Last night has for me put to bed last season's robbery in the same fixture. There's no way they deserved to win last season. We were cheated by the VAR and when Mcginn's goal was disallowed I thought here we go. 

Guendouzi fouled trezeguet in the build up to the penalty. He was grabbing his shirt. The free kick they scored they had two men in our wall they have to be a minimum of 1metre away and then Sokratis caught the ball. And nothing.

Hence why I predicted 5 - 0 to us. And it should have been. 

Manchester United. We're gonna f you up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just to add my tuppence to the God V Grealish debate: 

Grealish is better in my opinion, he excites both fans and players alike with his squash-buckling displays. He is an athlete, a modern footballer.

I'm not going to criticise McGrath at all as he is one of our great modern players, but for me there is no comparison.

It is also said that the modern game is stronger, faster, quicker and more competitive than even twenty years ago.

Yes, a lot has happened since the days of God. Stronger and faster, definetely. But McGrath had all that and had he been in Grealish's age he'd be up there as he was very athletic, strong and fast. For me he is still above Jack, not least thanks to him playing with that knee injury and sadly even more or less drunk in more than a few games. But I think it's hard to compare and I can see why many think Jack is better. I'm just happy we had McGrath when we did and Jack now. Somteimes he's in a league of his own. One of the swedish pundits said yesterday that his performance against arsenal was probably the best performance in the league so far this season.by any player. And I wouldn't be too surprised if that pundit has seen every game so far. He was full of praise for the whole team and refused to belittle it with saying that arsenal were poor.

Anyway, I voted McGinn for motm, but it was just because I had to choose. It could've been him, Grealish, Luiz, Watkins, Barkley, Konsa, yeah, anyone. But McGinn nicked it. Such a lovely team performance and the moves for all our goals were just fantastic. The first one almost arrogant by Grealish and Barkley, the 2nd one with that cross from Luiz and then an even better cross on the volley with the wrong foot from Barkley and Watkins being strong. And Jack's powerrun for the 3rd. I won't be surprised if Jack scores a Maradona goal this season. He has it in him and he's been close a few times already, he just needs that little bit of "luck", timing and the opposition in the right positions and he's there. I'm almost sure it would happen. If so I hope it does happen against manure.

Great win, great performance and great to be back on the winning track again. Shame with another international break.

UTV!

• Like 3

Great team performance, its all or nothing at the moment. We either start well and build throughout the game looking better as it goes on or we start slow and don't get going.

Won most challenges and 2nd balls let them win it when there's not much to gain, pressing running and all fighting together.

You can afford a couple to have an off day when we play like that, yet no one had an off day.

First class performance from the whole team and staff for getting a result like that after 2 poor games.

Mom ? Jack clearly ran the show with the ball, trez i would say ran the show without the ball.

But neither could do what they did yesterday without the rest of the team ( well Jack did last year) so mom goes to smith for me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Great team performance, its all or nothing at the moment. We either start well and build throughout the game looking better as it goes on or we start slow and don't get going.

Won most challenges and 2nd balls let them win it when there's not much to gain, pressing running and all fighting together.

You can afford a couple to have an off day when we play like that, yet no one had an off day.

First class performance from the whole team and staff for getting a result like that after 2 poor games.

Mom ? Jack clearly ran the show with the ball, trez i would say ran the show without the ball.

But neither could do what they did yesterday without the rest of the team ( well Jack did last year) so mom goes to smith for me.

Like it.( my likes have gone)

2 hours ago, Pelle said:

Yes, a lot has happened since the days of God. Stronger and faster, definetely. But McGrath had all that and had he been in Grealish's age he'd be up there as he was very athletic, strong and fast. For me he is still above Jack, not least thanks to him playing with that knee injury and sadly even more or less drunk in more than a few games. But I think it's hard to compare and I can see why many think Jack is better. I'm just happy we had McGrath when we did and Jack now. Somteimes he's in a league of his own. One of the swedish pundits said yesterday that his performance against arsenal was probably the best performance in the league so far this season.by any player. And I wouldn't be too surprised if that pundit has seen every game so far. He was full of praise for the whole team and refused to belittle it with saying that arsenal were poor.

Anyway, I voted McGinn for motm, but it was just because I had to choose. It could've been him, Grealish, Luiz, Watkins, Barkley, Konsa, yeah, anyone. But McGinn nicked it. Such a lovely team performance and the moves for all our goals were just fantastic. The first one almost arrogant by Grealish and Barkley, the 2nd one with that cross from Luiz and then an even better cross on the volley with the wrong foot from Barkley and Watkins being strong. And Jack's powerrun for the 3rd. I won't be surprised if Jack scores a Maradona goal this season. He has it in him and he's been close a few times already, he just needs that little bit of "luck", timing and the opposition in the right positions and he's there. I'm almost sure it would happen. If so I hope it does happen against manure.

Great win, great performance and great to be back on the winning track again. Shame with another international break.

UTV!

It’s only a matter of time before he scores that wonder goal that makes everyone stand up and say, ‘wow’. Whether it be a volley from a corner or a dribble where he beats 5 or 6 players. 

The volley from the corner routine is one he tries every 6 or 7 matches so he doesn’t give it away. He’ll stick one bar and in sooner or later.

He’s got everything. 

• Like 2

Remember how we also started well in MON's first season, with 13 points at this stage, just 2 less than this season. But in those seven games, though we didn't lose, we didn't score more than two in any of them. Contrast that with this season, having scored three of more goals in four of the first seven games! Wow. It's exciting to be a high scoring Villa again, like in the early 90s with Dwight Yorke, Dean Saunders and Dalian Atkinson.

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think on the McGinn goal, if Barkely takes a step back it's given, I think it's the jump that gets it disallowed - he brings his knees up and I reckon that's the action that would convince the referee that he's an obstacle or a significant distraction - there's no way the keeper would have saved it anyway mind you.

Was thinking about this. His ankle was offside. So he was interfering with play because of his ankle?

if that’s offside then Bamfords also offside. (Which I disagree with). 

Bamfords arm and Barkleys ankle had nothing to do with impacting on either goal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Was thinking about this. His ankle was offside. So he was interfering with play because of his ankle?

if that’s offside then Bamfords also offside. (Which I disagree with).

Bamfords arm and Barkleys ankle had nothing to do with impacting on either goal. 

I don't think the offside was in question was it?

The goal wasn't chalked off because of the offside, - it was just whether he was in the keeper's eyeline. We had another player (I think Watkins) further offside, but not between McGinn and the keeper. If Barkley takes a step backwards - he'd still be offside but he'd be out of the keepers way - I think he jumps expecting McGinn to shoot low, but the jump makes him a bigger obstacle and gives the referee the encouragement to disallow the goal.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think the offside was in question was it?

The goal wasn't chalked off because of the offside, - it was just whether he was in the keeper's eyeline. We had another player (I think Watkins) further offside, but not between McGinn and the keeper. If Barkley takes a step backwards - he'd still be offside but he'd be out of the keepers way - I think he jumps expecting McGinn to shoot low, but the jump makes him a bigger obstacle and gives the referee the encouragement to disallow the goal.

I thought it was because he was offside and interfering with play. VAR had his right leg offside by the looks of the screenshot on the highlights. It was small margins. 

I don’t care if they were onside, offside, nearside or rearside. I just don’t want VAR full stop. I hate everything about it. If players score goals where their arms are offside against us, so be it, don’t care. Just want it gone like the rest of the population. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t care if they were onside, offside, nearside or rearside. I just don’t want VAR full stop. I hate everything about it. If players score goals where their arms are offside against us, so be it, don’t care. Just want it gone like the rest of the population. 

If they use the way it's meant to be used it's an excellent tool. In Europe they use it properly. Here there's such an arrogance in that "we're going to use it our way" bollocks that it's made it woeful. So it needs to go.

As for the Bamford one I'm pretty sure the rule is for any part of your body you can legally score with. But I'm happy it happened to him the cheat. He stamped on Mings. rocket polisher.

11 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just to add my tuppence to the God V Grealish debate: 

Grealish is better in my opinion, he excites both fans and players alike with his squash-buckling displays. He is an athlete, a modern footballer.

I'm not going to criticise McGrath at all as he is one of our great modern players, but for me there is no comparison.

It is also said that the modern game is stronger, faster, quicker and more competitive than even twenty years ago.

Guess you just had to be there. McGrath didn’t train in the week, his knees were too dodgy. He’d roll up on match day and put in truly majestic performances. At that time, he wasn’t just the best player I had ever seen play for us, and I’m 65. He was the best defender in the world. Jack is a hell of a player, and being an attacker, his role naturally garners some glamour. But McGrath could have literally walked into any club and international team in the world,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meregreen said:

Guess you just had to be there. McGrath didn’t train in the week, his knees were too dodgy. He’d roll up on match day and put in truly majestic performances. At that time, he wasn’t just the best player I had ever seen play for us, and I’m 65. He was the best defender in the world. Jack is a hell of a player, and being an attacker, his role naturally garners some glamour. But McGrath could have literally walked into any club and international team in the world,

I'm 43, i was there. Interesting presumption though...

I saw McGrath play at Villa Park and on TV, watched the World Cup matches in '94. He was excellent. Incidentally of that team '91-'95 McGrath was never my favourite player, as a young keen (always playing football) myself at that time I was more excited by Daley, Saunders, Atkinson and Yorke! There i've said it.

But whether you like it or not the game has moved on, it is much faster, more skillful, more competitive, technical and scientifically advanced than ever before. Grealish embodies the modern athlete, it is a different level.

I think there is an element of rose-tinted spectacles about many of the past greats, they were of a time but many of them wouldn't last a 45 minutes playing a modern PL game.

Â