Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/20 at 23:59

The formation and shape seemed to work well yesterday. We know Arsenal will play out from the back so we pushed 4 players up onto their back 4 making them go back to the keeper and eventually kick long. I think the position Barkley took up suits him so well. Almost playing as a No 10 when we have the ball but dropping back into midfield when we don't. I wasn't convinced when we signed him but he was everywhere yesterday. 

A special mention too for Watkins. Yes he scored the two goals but his hold up play is as good as I've seen a striker in a villa shirt. When we were in trouble the ball was hit at him and he held on to it and got us up the field. 

You could make a claim for anyone to be MOTM yesterday. Everyone put in a shift and we do look a different proposition than last season. We are solid at the back, bit of class in midfield and real goal threat.

I'm not getting ahead of myself......but, I think we could win the Champions League this season. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I actually really enjoyed that. Fair play to both of them. 

The guy on the right seems a little emotional. 🙂

I think the only person more angry about the result is the entire Small Heath forum.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Absolute nonsense, Barkley was almost perfectly between the keeper and Mcginn.

Not from what I saw!

Motd even swung the camera around to lenos exact view, at no point was the actual ball hidden from view.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KMitch said:

At the start of the season, I just asked to not have our entire next season depend on the final game of this season, once again...  Unfortunately, I think that if things continue the way they've been going, it's entirely possible to end up in a "must win" game against Chelsea at Villa Park this season to end up in the Europa League next year.  😁😁😁

Or we could already have qualified for another shot at the first trophy, or even have won the second one by then. :hooray:

Uefa plan to move Champions League final from Istanbul | London Evening  Standard image.jpeg.8a1fadfc58ef6be02d93b2b05edc1b5c.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Not from what I saw!

Motd even swung the camera around to lenos exact view, at no point was the actual ball hidden from view.

Then you think how do they allow West Hams goal to stand. Haller miles offside, defender heads clear just incase then it lands to a WH shirt and directly leads to a goal. Whereas Barkley isnt interfering, Leno cannot save it regardless, but that gets chalked off. 

1 hour ago, John said:

Depends how young you are. We did beat them 5-1 at Villa Park in 1979. ;) I remember it well....:D

Ah! Thanks. In that case, I'm wrong, yesterday wasn't the first time we've beaten Arsenal by more than two goals in a league game in my lifetime. But no wonder I didn't know this as I was born in 73.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I thought McGinn played much more disciplined today.

He doesn't need to play as a second striker. Play like a proper midfielder and this team can do wonders.

Absolutely this.

Watching the highlights on MOTD2 (first up again, and genuine praise!), I was surprised to see how often it was Luiz arriving from midfield on the counter, meaning McGinn was holding. They're really getting their shit together and gives us a great shape and an element of unpredictability. 

33 minutes ago, robby b said:

Ah! Thanks. In that case, I'm wrong, yesterday wasn't the first time we've beaten Arsenal by more than two goals in a league game in my lifetime. But no wonder I didn't know this as I was born in 73.

Well, that's no excuse. 😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Absolutely this.

Watching the highlights on MOTD2 (first up again, and genuine praise!), I was surprised to see how often it was Luiz arriving from midfield on the counter, meaning McGinn was holding. They're really getting their shit together and gives us a great shape and an element of unpredictability. 

I absolutely love when Luiz is going forward.

He seems to love it as well.

Maybe one day we will get another proper DM and Luiz can move into a more advanced role. Luiz is just a wonderful footballer that has so much more to his game than just protecting the back 4.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

How strange that we've not conceded a single goal in our three away games but have conceded nine in the four home games! : s  I wonder if this isn't just due to Fulham and Arsenal playing badly against us and Leeds and Saints playing so well, or us being so good on the counter this season, but also partly to do with no home advantage from fans anymore. But on the other hand a few of you have pointed out on here that neither do the players have the extra pressure and stress that can come from their home fans. So who knows?! I guess it may also partly be a bit of a freak occurrence, a strange coincidence.

Edited by robby b

Â