Ratings & Reactions: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

284 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/20 at 23:59

21 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agreed. Grealish is into statue territory now - provided he stays with us for the rest of his career.

The amount this kid has done for the club is almost immeasurable. He's got us promoted, he kept us up, he has stayed when I imagine he could have left on multiple occasions, he's attracted other players, he's keeping other players at the club who might think about leaving were he not here, he's bringing on board new fans, he's every young fans hero, he's pushing us into a top half team, he's Englands best player, he's probably pushing the academy players to higher levels in a 'see where hard work gets you' fashion. 

On the pitch, he is undoubtedly one of the best in Europe. Undoubtedly. But as listed above, he is the club. We wouldn't be where we are without him. He's already a legend. 

I f***** love him. 

Absolutely 100% agree with this .... but Southgate still won't start him in a competitive game! 😡 What an absolute moron.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed watching that game.  More so than the Liverpool game ... it just seemed a bit more real as we weren't banging a goal in every ten minutes.  The whole team was fantastic with no weak links.  And we ground out a fantastic result with two killer goals from Ollie and very little threat from a "Big 6" side.

We have been incredibly lucky with injuries though at the start of this season.  I do wonder how long we can keep playing the same 10 + Trez/Traore for without running them in to the ground. Hopefully another 31 games??!!

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm 43, i was there. Interesting presumption though...

I saw McGrath play at Villa Park and on TV, watched the World Cup matches in '94. He was excellent. Incidentally of that team '91-'95 McGrath was never my favourite player, as a young keen (always playing football) myself at that time I was more excited by Daley, Saunders, Atkinson and Yorke! There i've said it.

But whether you like it or not the game has moved on, it is much faster, more skillful, more competitive, technical and scientifically advanced than ever before. Grealish embodies the modern athlete, it is a different level.

I think there is an element of rose-tinted spectacles about many of the past greats, they were of a time but many of them wouldn't last a 45 minutes playing a modern PL game.

The modern era , if you want to call it that, started around the time McGrath was actively playing. Your analogy is flawed anyway, or do you believe Maradona, Gascoigne, Pele, Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, etc. couldn’t hack it today. Just as fitness levels and sporting science ie diet etc advances and the players of that age benefit from it. So any player from, what is a relatively short time ago, if playing now, would benefit also. The only thing to measure them by is the evidence of their greatness at the time they were playing. By that measure, McGrath is imperious.

• Like 4

On 09/11/2020 at 09:18, villaglint said:

So which was the best goal for us last night?

I really like the first one because it was so measured and patient. Barkley, Grealish and Targett knew they were in but it was important they didn't rush it.

My feeling was  - this is like Man City at their best! In other words, every Arsenal player was back in position, it wasn't a gung-ho counter attack where players are pulled all over, but patient tippy-tappy, we'll find a way through don't you worry. I actually looked at that on MOTD, and even though I'd already seen how we scored from that position, thought, Well there's no way we're scoring from that position! What glory.

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

The modern era , if you want to call it that, started around the time McGrath was actively playing. Your analogy is flawed anyway, or do you believe Maradona, Gascoigne, Pele, Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, etc. couldn’t hack it today. Just as fitness levels and sporting science ie diet etc advances and the players of that age benefit from it. So any player from, what is a relatively short time ago, if playing now, would benefit also. The only thing to measure them by is the evidence of their greatness at the time they were playing. By that measure, McGrath is imperious.

It is not flawed, it's science you know facts rather than opinion (aka Subjective v Objective).

Didn't say ALL players couldn't hack it of course there would be exceptions, come on pay attention! And your argument is flawed because it's a theory of 'ifs and buts', a premise is never sound based on this and again merely opinion. Touché! But let's just pander to your argument about the comparison to when McGrath was playing and now; the last twenty years the game has changed dramatically and players are younger, faster, stronger and the game as a result is way faster than twenty years ago. Again it's just the facts, some cling to the past way too much.

I like McGrath don't get me wrong. It's weird comparing McGrath and Grealish and rose-tinted spectacles. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s only a matter of time before he scores that wonder goal that makes everyone stand up and say, ‘wow’. Whether it be a volley from a corner or a dribble where he beats 5 or 6 players. 

The volley from the corner routine is one he tries every 6 or 7 matches so he doesn’t give it away. He’ll stick one bar and in sooner or later.

He’s got everything. 

I noticed he was winning headers too on Sunday.....something else he seems to be working on......I still think he is getting better, hasn't plateaued yet.

6 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'm 43, i was there. Interesting presumption though...

I saw McGrath play at Villa Park and on TV, watched the World Cup matches in '94. He was excellent. Incidentally of that team '91-'95 McGrath was never my favourite player, as a young keen (always playing football) myself at that time I was more excited by Daley, Saunders, Atkinson and Yorke! There i've said it.

But whether you like it or not the game has moved on, it is much faster, more skillful, more competitive, technical and scientifically advanced than ever before. Grealish embodies the modern athlete, it is a different level.

I think there is an element of rose-tinted spectacles about many of the past greats, they were of a time but many of them wouldn't last a 45 minutes playing a modern PL game.

I don't think its fair to compare players from different Era's.....None of the past players would live with the fitness levels of todays players, because they didn't have to, because the opposing players were commensurate to them.....maybe they had a pint, but the other teams players had a pint....blimey McNaught was smoking on the bus, in one clip I saw.....thats how it was.

I loved Macca, but the players you mention catch the eye of the younger fan.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It is not flawed, it's science you know facts rather than opinion (aka Subjective v Objective).

Didn't say ALL players couldn't hack it of course there would be exceptions, come on pay attention! And your argument is flawed because it's a theory of 'ifs and buts', a premise is never sound based on this and again merely opinion. Touché! But let's just pander to your argument about the comparison to when McGrath was playing and now; the last twenty years the game has changed dramatically and players are younger, faster, stronger and the game as a result is way faster than twenty years ago. Again it's just the facts, some cling to the past way too much.

I like McGrath don't get me wrong. It's weird comparing McGrath and Grealish and rose-tinted spectacles. 

If your going to slip into making personal comments I’m outta here.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

with respect, its not my argument, but please allow me to comment.

Gary Shaw entered the fray at 17 and playing in a European cup final at a tender age....Brian Little something similar.....Andy Gray was tearing defences apart at 19, I could go on.

The game is faster and subsequently less space on the same size pitches, so it is closer contact and physically more demanding.....its misleading to compare imv

Its not about clinging to the past, its more about evaluating what was done then, in the environment that existed.

for example.....rarely would a player from the past, keep up with the running power and stamina of a present day player, No.......but would a present day player be able to head that heavy leather ball like Tony Hateley or Nat Lofthouse or Dixie Dean...No

Its not like for like, but us old un's can still look back an marvel at the exploits of Brian Little and Tony Morely, even if they couldn't match the fitness of the likes of Jack Grealish......its not about overhyping the past, its more about putting things in perspective.....but yes it is weird comparing Macca with Jack...they are both great, in their own right.

ps I have been watching the game for too many years to mention.....and Jack is one of the best,on the ball, pure poetry in motion.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Gary Shaw entered the fray at 17 and playing in a European cup final at a tender age....Brian Little something similar.....Andy Gray was tearing defences apart at 19

Indeed. Pele won a World Cup aged 17. Jimmy Greaves and George Best hit the ground running at 17 also. There are many cases throughout the history of the game of players breaking through at early ages. As the great Matt Busby said “ if they’re good enough, they’re old enough”.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

and because McGrath had problems with his knees and he couldn't train like other players do that may have been an handicap in the modern era. Different positions are impossible to compare anyway. McGrath is no doubt the greatest defender we have had, Platt the best box to box midfield player, Grealish the most gifted. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Gary Shaw entered the fray at 17 and playing in a European cup final at a tender age....Brian Little something similar.....Andy Gray was tearing defences apart at 19, I could go on.

The game is faster and subsequently less space on the same size pitches, so it is closer contact and physically more demanding.....its misleading to compare imv

Its not about clinging to the past, its more about evaluating what was done then, in the environment that existed.

for example.....rarely would a player from the past, keep up with the running power and stamina of a present day player, No.......but would a present day player be able to head that heavy leather ball like Tony Hateley or Nat Lofthouse or Dixie Dean...No

Its not like for like, but us old un's can still look back an marvel at the exploits of Brian Little and Tony Morely, even if they couldn't match the fitness of the likes of Jack Grealish......its not about overhyping the past, its more about putting things in perspective.....but yes it is weird comparing Macca with Jack...they are both great, in their own right.

ps I have been watching the game for too many years to mention.....and Jack is one of the best,on the ball, pure poetry in motion.

I dont think the modern player would like playing on the pitches they used to either. Most pitches this time of year would be mud baths in the 1970s. So many variables to consider when comparing eras!

• Like 2

After re-watching the game and studying it Arsenal didn't have an awful game by any means.

They got into some very good scoring positions. Particularly in the second half. But poor decision making. Poor shooting and some heroic blocking from our defenders prevented them from scoring. Those Lacazette and Holding chances were huge.

Still i thought we edged it and were deserved winners.

12 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Just read that this game was the first time ever Aubameyang has played a full 90 minutes without even registering a shot.

That's not right, he didn't have any shots against Man City a few weeks ago or Liverpool at the start of the season.

Ever since he signed that massive new contract he's been a shadow of his former self

16 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Just read that this game was the first time ever Aubameyang has played a full 90 minutes without even registering a shot.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for him stuck out on the left wing in that miserable (Southgate-esque) 3-4-3!

On 11/11/2020 at 18:46, Greenfly said:

wow.

I think our intensity and desire rattled them....obviously our flair was their too.....but our approach knocked the edge off their game and stopped them playing as a team.

The goals were sublime, but there was much more to us than just that......We should be very proud of ourselves....and still only a young team.

Â