Match Thread: Villa v Southampton

limpid

The reason the midfield look none existent is because the ball is getting hoofed over their heads all the time. Southampton’s front three are marking our full backs out of the game, Martinez looks up and sees nobody calling for the ball so hits it long. We need to get the ball down and play, Barkley, McGinn and Luiz can pass the ball if they want to. We’re too slow to the second ball all the time.

I want a reaction for the next 45 mins. If it continues like this, nothings changed. 

• Like 1

Our dead ball attacks are a complete shambles. 

Our defending from dead balls is a shambles. 

Seriously worried this could get to a silly scoreline because they look dangerous everytime they go forwards and we look completely impotent. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The Watkins situation worries me. It’s like we don’t know how to play him. Aside from the Liverpool game he’s barely had a chance. 
For £30m we shouldn’t be saying that. 

No different from saying about Wesley last season if we are going to play hoof ball we need to play Davies and put Watkins next to him or on the wing 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Watkins situation worries me. It’s like we don’t know how to play him. Aside from the Liverpool game he’s barely had a chance. 
For £30m we shouldn’t be saying that. 

It’s what some of us said before we signed him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

EVERY team in the Premier League play the same " Good sides ".

It's about the manner of it.

There is supporting your team, and then there is being deluded.

We have been absolute garbage, full stop.

I don't mind playing teams which are better than us and losing respectably.

We don't even look a Premier League team at times.

Yes they do. Just like we played Leicester and Liverpool just weeks ago and beat them both. Or are we going to ignore that?

Edited by PieFacE

This one is on the coaching. I’m sat here chatting with my 13yr old daughter and we’re saying how those free kicks are like penalties for Ward-Prowse, we said it before the first free kick and how teams should put a player on the goal line to help the goal keeper. Villa are thick. The change over the last 90 minutes of football to the previous 4 games is staggering. Beyond fathomable. And the inability to alter things from the touch line is really getting to me. We’re 6-0 down over the last 90mins of football and it could have been 10. And Cash should have been sent off. It really has been dire and the early season flame has been extinguished emphatically. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We're playing a very good side. We've been shit on set pieces today but jesus christ lads, bit of an overreaction much? 

Well, it's 3-0 at half time and they had a fourth goal ruled out for a very tight offside decision. So it was very close to being 4-0.. at half time. Not sure how losing 5-0 would be an overreaction. If anything We look like we'd be lucky to lose by 5.

Just now, VillaAlex said:

I also think Smith got it wrong benching Trez. He's actually looked somewhat bright since coming on.

Not that it's down to him but we've shipped a further 2 goals since he came on

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If anything, I think it flatters us. 

How on earth to you come to that conclusion when they’ve not created anything from open play? To score two direct free kicks in one half is extremely rare. Literally everything has gone in for them.