Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

If you have a player down, and the opposition make to look like they're going to kick it out of play then any team will stop playing, the Leeds player himself relaxed his body as if he was stopping. It's okay saying that you play to the whistle, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they cheated, or give them the right to score when they did, something that even their manager recognized and put right, he didn't order his players to allow us to score for the sake of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

This image sums up my memory of the tactical innovation used to stop Grealish last time

He can't figuratively break your ankles if you've already literally broken his

giphy.gif

Leeds fans thought Jack was diving there.

• Confused 1

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yup, the hate last season on Twitter from them was disgusting. Most of it personal towards Jack!

Not just on Twitter but at the ground too. They were incensed at him, despite the very obvious efforts to scythe him down at every opportunity. That challenge in particular was nasty, and if I remember correctly, Cooper didn't even get booked.

But yeah, they're easily the worst bunch on Twitter. Really live up to their reputation. I did enjoy them claiming that Pablo Hernandez was better than Jack though. That never gets old.

We've players that can hurt them now, that's the difference. I'd still play Trezeguet. Dallas is busy and needs to be tracked. Similarly with Ayling. Jack needs to work hard out of possession - which he has done in all 4 games to be fair. Great application. Cash has a great range finder over the top. I feel they'll have a lot of the ball but with the amount of players they commit, if we can win it in and hit them fast, we could sting em.

• Like 1

I’m a big believer in culture. So my issue with that whole thing was even though I admire and like Bielsa, the culture he oversees is the one that cheated to fake putting the ball out, cheated when Bamford went down holding his face, etc. I think he was mortified by it and hence gave the goal back but if my son stole from another kid I’d pay it back and be mortified... I still raised a thieving little scumbag. I wouldn’t expect an award for it...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I disagree. I'm old school and think you play to the whistle. Players do not ref the game, they play it. When Roberts stopped, the Villa lad who was next to him should of went through him to get a ball that was in play and not blown up to stop. Morally yes, the goal was wrong but this " we stopped for you, you stop for us " is silly and a bit playground-ish. 

I think it would actually be worse than their cheating if we saw one of them going to kick it out and then tackled him...

And I’d just add I like Leeds and love watching them under Bielsa - but that one incident still annoys me.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

I think it would actually be worse than their cheating if we saw one of them going to kick it out and then tackled him...

And I’d just add I like Leeds and love watching them under Bielsa - but that one incident still annoys me.

Would it ? What would we of being guilty of ? Going for a ball that was still in play and no whistle. Anyway, it's done. The fact it was technically a nothing game after Sheffield United had pulled too far ahead of Leeds in 2nd and we had playoffs confirmed probably made the giving of the goal an easier one for Bielsa and he came out of it looking good. If they were a point behind Sheffield United, would he of let us walk it in. Hmmmm. Who knows.

The funny thing is if you look on their forum it's full of comments about Grealish, John Terry and Smith being 'Sh*thouses' and that game being used as evidence as to why, they talk as if they themselves did nothing wrong.

I hope the players have all put that match behind them though, don't think it will help our course at all if we frame as some sort of 'revenge' game or whatever, just treat it like any other game we want to win, same for both sides.

Just now, useless said:

The funny thing is if you look on their forum it's full of comments about Grealish, John Terry and Smith being 'Sh*thouses' and that game being used as evidence as to why, they talk as if they themselves did nothing wrong.

I hope the players have all put that match behind them though, don't think it will help our course at all if we frame as some sort of 'revenge' game or whatever, just treat it like any other game we want to win, same for both sides.

Exactly. I'd like to think also Smith has the measure of Bielsa tactically. I remember his Brentford team going to Elland road and totally nullifying a Bielsa team that were ripping teams a part up to then ( was actually Smith's last game with Brentford, left for Villa the following week ) Aren't they putting that Strujik fella in for Phillips. You'd like to think we could get at him.

Phillips missed nine games last season and they only lost two of those, although they did have Ben White who's a very competent defensive midfielder if needed, season before when they didn't have White they lost three out of four games without Phillips.

Strujik himself isn't a midfielder, he's a centre-back, wouldn't surprise me if they changed to three at the back and played with a sort of 523 system, something that they sometimes did last when Phillips was out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Phillips missed nine games last season and they only lost two of those, although they did have Ben White who's a very competent defensive midfielder if needed, season before when they didn't have White they lost three out of four games without Phillips.

Strujik himself isn't a midfielder, he's a centre-back, wouldn't surprise me if they changed to three at the back and played with a sort of 523 system, something that they sometimes did last when Phillips was out.

It'll be like for like. He played pretty much the same role last season. Takes slightly less risks and will play a more typical holding role. Gives us a good advantage defending just down to the size of the kid.

28 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Would it ? What would we of being guilty of ? Going for a ball that was still in play and no whistle

Yes, I guess objectively without context or understanding of sportsmanship that is absolutely correct. However in reality if a player was clearly going to knock it out of play so another injured player could get treatment, and someone just tackled him, we would call that person a dick. In sport as in life it’s ok to expect decency as well as strict adherence to rules... same way we tend to see teams give the ball back after those incidents.

Anyway as you say it’s done and honestly even at the time I don’t think the players will have carried on thinking about it - it’s a thing for the fans not for them. 

I notice that this game is on BT Box Office and not standard Sky which is rather disappointing giving the start we have had.

It's definitely going to be a high intensity game with plenty of incidents.

I think we are well equipped these days to handle what comes to us.

Also those saying we have never won our first 5 games before, remember we won 10 on the bounce in promotion season, so anything is possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

If you have a player down, and the opposition make to look like they're going to kick it out of play then any team will stop playing, the Leeds player himself relaxed his body as if he was stopping. It's okay saying that you play to the whistle, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they cheated, or give them the right to score when they did, something that even their manager recognized and put right, he didn't order his players to allow us to score for the sake of it.

Totally, have to respect Bielsa for that he knew it was out of order and did the only thing he could to put it right. 

We are going to have to match them in the speed of transitions from defence to attack, they are amazing at it and it's always been a Bielsa thing. they go from winning the ball back to 8 players attacking the box super fast, and if it breaks down they get 11 behind the ball incredibly quickly. Fall asleep when you lose it and you're very quickly outnumbered at the back and in the poo.

I'd agree with Trez starting with that in mind, Watkins will have to lead the press and cover miles. Should be a good game.

Thats a young Leeds fans analysis of tomorrow nights game, very well researched and interesting, apart from referring to our luck so far, he is quite complementary about us, well worth a watch.

I came away from it thinking that we are the bollox and that this is the sort of person we need on radio, MOTD, on sky etc, someone who actually knows what they are talking about, instead of well, you know, morons.

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I know what you’re getting at, but they have a good fan base and they’re a big club whether you want to accept it or not.

Id much rather see Leeds finish in the top 4 than Arsenal, Spurs, City etc. 

We’re teetering on the brink as a league structure with the way the ‘top 6’ are behaving at the moment. Trying to take all the power, trying to break away, trying to take more tv money etc. 

They’re terrified of a Villa, Everton, Leeds stature club breaking into ‘the elite’ and staying there as it only weakens their position in trying to dominate the entire country’s football model. 

I mean you have your opinion and i enjoy reading your posts generally, but i have to politely disagree.

Leeds are a big club in the same way a child believes in Santa. It's real until you realise it isn't. 5 major honours in their history, awful stadium, riddled with failure, limited experience in the top flight and their fan base is a large set of delusional supporters from one city. Nowhere near us or leeds in any way shape or form. Those who think they are anything more than a small club also think newcastle are massive and havd unfortunately been reeled in by the Sky jizz fest over them.

53 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not just on Twitter but at the ground too. They were incensed at him, despite the very obvious efforts to scythe him down at every opportunity. That challenge in particular was nasty, and if I remember correctly, Cooper didn't even get booked.

But yeah, they're easily the worst bunch on Twitter. Really live up to their reputation. I did enjoy them claiming that Pablo Hernandez was better than Jack though. That never gets old.

The only thing Hernandez has better than Jack is his song, it is annoyingly catchy and was happy Derby knocked them out the semi as I probably would have ended up humming it a Wembley and got filled in 

• Like 1