Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Only because he looked pretty winded at times. We also need to give some of these bench players playing time. There's no league cup option for them now. 

He will have had 4 full days recovery (pretty much 5)

You do not start tinkering with a midfield that has won 4 straight and which is in a great rhythm unless it’s a necessity.

Thankfully Smith won’t entertain this idea. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Why Leeds? Leeds shouldn't even be considered in the same breath as teams such as us and Everton

I know what you’re getting at, but they have a good fan base and they’re a big club whether you want to accept it or not.

Id much rather see Leeds finish in the top 4 than Arsenal, Spurs, City etc. 

We’re teetering on the brink as a league structure with the way the ‘top 6’ are behaving at the moment. Trying to take all the power, trying to break away, trying to take more tv money etc. 

They’re terrified of a Villa, Everton, Leeds stature club breaking into ‘the elite’ and staying there as it only weakens their position in trying to dominate the entire country’s football model. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Only because he looked pretty winded at times. We also need to give some of these bench players playing time. There's no league cup option for them now. 

That’s their fault as Smith said at the time they can’t come knocking on his door after that Stoke game.

Absolutely no way should we drop Luiz for Nakamba. Traore for Trez would be marginally more palatable but I still wouldn’t make that change either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That’s there fault as Smith said at the time they can’t come knocking on his door after that Stoke game.

Absolutely no way should we drop Luiz for Nakamba. Traore for Trez would be marginally more palatable but I still wouldn’t make that change either.

Totally agree. You just can’t change a starting side that has won four from four including against the champions and a top 5 team. It would send totally the wrong message to the players in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Totally agree. You just can’t change a starting side that has won four from four including against the champions and a top 5 team. It would send totally the wrong message to the players in my opinion. 

Still early doors, but might be tempted to rest SJM, he played in all of Scotland’s games.  Maybe have Luiz, Nakamba and Barkley start in midfield.  Luiz a little more advanced than normal. SJM to come off the bench.

I guess it depends it’s whether you think this form is temporary and so want to ride the wave as long as it lasts, or whether you think this is where we belong and we need to rotate the squad to keep us fresh to stay there.

Is there a touch of the MON about playing the same team week in week out, and then at some point being forced to rest half the first team due to injuries / fatigue ?

12 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Is there a touch of the MON about playing the same team week in week out, and then at some point being forced to rest half the first team due to injuries / fatigue ?

Yes, at some point, but not four games in. The team are looking extremely fit and well conditioned, they’re in great form and full of confidence. I’d keep that going for as long as possible. 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yes, at some point, but not four games in. The team are looking extremely fit and well conditioned, they’re in great form and full of confidence. I’d keep that going for as long as possible. 

Always a balancing act, just a little concern as per the below (SJM).

7C20B61C-260E-438B-82B3-1E035EB58481.jpeg

1 minute ago, Villaphil said:

Always a balancing act, just a little concern as per the below (SJM).

7C20B61C-260E-438B-82B3-1E035EB58481.jpeg

He has played a lot of football in a short space of time. I’d like to think he’s fit enough to handle it after five days rest, but obviously he and Smith will make that call. I think he should start against Leeds but we can always take him off when we’re 3-0 up :D

• Like 1

In essence our post lockdown run in can be used as a preseason of sorts for this season. Possibly.

I think our players look stronger and fitter than last season. Jack himself looks quicker and sharper. If we can get a good lead in this game I'd look at rotating one or two. Traore as others have said is the only one I'd trust atm. Maybe Nakamba, Guilbert and Engels with a lead. Hourihane would be useful against a defensive team.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Agreed. 

They had their chance in the cup and embarrassed us. Imagine losing to Stokes B team.

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

He has played a lot of football in a short space of time. I’d like to think he’s fit enough to handle it after five days rest, but obviously he and Smith will make that call. I think he should start against Leeds but we can always take him off when we’re 3-0 up :D

Playing Conor against Leeds would be suicidal.

Not a game for him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Playing Conor against Leeds would be suicidal.

Not a game for him.

I agree, much as I do like Hourihane, he would be lost in the intensity of this one. Much rather McGinn starts, we’ll need his tenacity. 

For all the talk of Bielsa masterclasses, they were dirty buggers last time we played them. I’d not put it past them to properly try and take out Jack early doors. 

Fwiw, I have time for Bielsa, but as Clough showed, you can’t take the Leeds out of Leeds. 

39 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

For all the talk of Bielsa masterclasses, they were dirty buggers last time we played them. I’d not put it past them to properly try and take out Jack early doors. 

I'm not sure that's bielsa style.

47 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Fwiw, I have time for Bielsa, but as Clough showed, you can’t take the Leeds out of Leeds. 

You call it dirty. I call it winning mentality.

If in a game being dirty is what it would take to win the game I'd do it any day of the week and wouldn't feel bad about it.

Edited by villalad21