Pre-Match Thread

MaVilla

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I think the Leeds team under Don Revie comes close with Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner and Norman Hunter

Were they great, or are they now notorious?

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Were they great, or are they now notorious?

I think that is a matter of opinion.

They didn't win the European cup like we did.....but they were a very good side.

Leeds will put all the excuses they can on this game if they lose to us in a professional fair way, if Leeds win in an unprofessional unfair way the only one who has fairness in him is Bielsa.

I hope we have learnt by now that we must carry on playing till the whistle blows, no repeats from the 2-1 win over them apart from the fact we have to win. Hope that we can make a fool of Leeds and capitalise over the Injurys they have.

Do Leeds still have Yansen?? I bet hes still but hurt after being told by Bielsa to let a goal in for us.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

They didn't win the European cup like we did.....but they were a very good side.

I remember Leeds from the 90s, up until there demise were a pretty decent mid table club wasnt they, but so to were other clubs like Oldham, Wimbledon, QPR, Blackburn, Wednsday, Ipswhich, Coventry and more. Sometimes I miss the early and mid 90s tables and the players within those teams..

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

Nah I think any other team fouls nobody bats an eyelid.

People are looking for excuses to say 'hur hur dirty leeds'

Leeds are not "Dirty" you have a fine team that is durable, robust and work like trojans.....your physicality is a credit to the team not a derogatory element.....We have to match that element too.

You have been in every game you have played this season so far, so you need to fear no one.....like us we have had a good start and fear no one.

Leeds have made a good start too which makes for a good game.

2 clubs too big for the championship.

Edited by TRO

57 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its accepted even by Fifa as a fix, the referees were banned after the game and the goals we had ruled out were obviously bollocks.

I wonder if a different reputation for the team and English football in general at the time would have swayed things 

3 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

Its accepted even by Fifa as a fix, the referees were banned after the game and the goals we had ruled out were obviously bollocks.

I wonder if a different reputation for the team and English football in general at the time would have swayed things 

I am not sure which game you are refering

2 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

They played Bayern in the European cup final and got absolutely robbed blind.

Champions of Europe, they almost sang that. 

sorry, I don't remember it, what year was that.

4 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

75 I think. I don't remember it either, I just have a Leeds supporting mate who isn't fond of Bayern 😅

Yeah, got it...it was 1975

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Leeds will put all the excuses they can on this game if they lose to us in a professional fair way, if Leeds win in an unprofessional unfair way the only one who has fairness in him is Bielsa.

I hope we have learnt by now that we must carry on playing till the whistle blows, no repeats from the 2-1 win over them apart from the fact we have to win. Hope that we can make a fool of Leeds and capitalise over the Injurys they have.

Do Leeds still have Yansen?? I bet hes still but hurt after being told by Bielsa to let a goal in for us.

I still maintain Leeds didn't do anything wrong. Players can't start reffing games themselves. Our stance that " we stopped play for your player " is a bit playing ball in the park mentality. It wasn't a head injury. The ref identified that and let play continue. We shouldn't of stopped playing. Not many that would of done what Bielsa did. It'll be a very awkward, uncomfortable game for us i think though we've a marked improvement in quality of player since we last played them. That 1-1 game was messy, they probably shaded it. They throughly deserved their win against us at VP Christmas 2 years ago. Was smash and grab but they were all over us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

In all fairness they were robbed in the European cup final

19 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I still maintain Leeds didn't do anything wrong. Players can't start reffing games themselves. Our stance that " we stopped play for your player " is a bit playing ball in the park mentality. It wasn't a head injury. The ref identified that and let play continue. We shouldn't of stopped playing. Not many that would of done what Bielsa did. It'll be a very awkward, uncomfortable game for us i think though we've a marked improvement in quality of player since we last played them. That 1-1 game was messy, they probably shaded it. They throughly deserved their win against us at VP Christmas 2 years ago. Was smash and grab but they were all over us.

That was at a time when their work rate v ours really showed. I think we have moved on somewhat since then.

They deserved the win that day.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

In all fairness they were robbed in the European cup final

I can't remember the game itself, so I can't comment on the detail....but i can remember them being a fine side.

If you into the game thinking that you have to match their workrate then you risk the danger of falling into the same trap that they so often do, which is tiring too early, it's in part what cost them the game against Wolves. If a team gets it's tactics right it can use Leeds workrate against them and take advantage when they start to tire.

All the best teams work hard on and off the ball, but they also know how to manage their workrate as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, useless said:

Of course Leeds did something wrong their player feigned to kick the ball out that's why we stopped playing and then they went and scored the goal, Bielsa recognized this and allowed us to score a goal, and credit to him for that.

Another thing that annoys me about that incident, is that you now get Leeds fans asking why we didn't allow Sheffield United to score against us after that hawkeye 'mistake', the obvious difference being that incident wasn't our fault, whereas the goal that Leeds scored against us was them cheating.

I disagree. I'm old school and think you play to the whistle. Players do not ref the game, they play it. When Roberts stopped, the Villa lad who was next to him should of went through him to get a ball that was in play and not blown up to stop. Morally yes, the goal was wrong but this " we stopped for you, you stop for us " is silly and a bit playground-ish.