Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

was staying up comfortably not the plan all along? I think anything higher was people being a bit deluded

Bottom half would be a bit disappointing.

O.k we're flatling a bit but don't think Southampton will be winning a game for a while with all their injuries and likes of Palace, Wolves and Leeds are still a bit off us with more games played and it will be hugely disappointing to finish below any of them after how we've generally played this season.

I'd be fine with 10th....but you can still think with another fresh face or two in January it could've been an even better season as I'm not convinced top half will be as open next season even if we sign 2-3 good ones in the summer. Just hanging onto what we currently have will remain an ongoing challenge.

I'm still looking to get to 50 points and then see how many games are left when we do that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

i didnt :) but some people think we should be challenging top 4 

Yes that’s kind of what I was angling at tbh. A lot being said on here and by pundits everywhere that we should be pushing for Europe and it is easy to get caught up on the hype I guess. 

Personally I felt our squad was not quite ready for that and since the COVID pause we have been not quite at the levels we were in my view. Still decent on occasions but not as consistent. 

Of course West Ham are stronger than they were and some way ahead of our curve quite clearly and understandably I guess. 

My original post was a bit unclear and seemed a bit petulant I guess (was hastily typed in the loo at work when I snuck in to check the score 😉)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

daffy duck masturbation GIF

😉

27 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I barely get time to check scores and post on here so no chance for that sort of thing!

You young stud you. Wait till you get a bit older and you'll be able to do "that sort of thing" much quicker than going to the toilet and checking the scores 😉

31 minutes ago, av1 said:

You young stud you. Wait till you get a bit older and you'll be able to do "that sort of thing" much quicker than going to the toilet and checking the scores 😉

Lol! Think i'm way past that stage unfortunately ;) I was there watching Dennis lift the European cup so "Young Stud" is maybe a little optimistic.

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

When was the last time Villa were in the premier league and not involved in a relegation battle at any point?

09/10.

McLeish season we were comfortably mid table until about mid March and then collapsed, was same in second Lambert season.

Just now, VillaChris said:

09/10.

McLeish season we were comfortably mid table until about mid March and then collapsed, was same in second Lambert season.

Yep. This is comfortably our best season since 09/10, and the quality of our football overall is the best I've ever seen as a Villa fan.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

When was the last time Villa were in the premier league and not involved in a relegation battle at any point?

probably the 2009/10 season, so quite literally over a decade ago......

Just now, Mantis said:

Yep. This is comfortably our best season since 09/10, and the quality of our football overall is the best I've ever seen as a Villa fan.

We played some good stuff under MON albeit direct but it was only one way, feed the ball quickly to Young. I actually like that sort of direct counter attack football and plenty of the top half teams play that style now but it does have its limitations.

This team is better breaking centrally so there's huge potential to kick on further if we can keep everyone together and add 1-2 more good level players in summer.

• Like 1

Brighton and Burnley share the points, and Newcastle get all 3, just to make a Great Escape even more unlikely for all the current bottom 3.

The bottom seems to have fallen out a bit at Southampton, who have tons of injuries, a thin squad, and have lost 4 in a row, one of them 9-0, but luckily they already have 29 points so will get over the line. Might have been a different story if they were currently sat on 22.