Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

You have to admire SU.

Say what you want but you cannot criticize the players effort levels all throughout the season.

Most of the defeats has been by the odd goal. Very rarely have they been battered.

Never giving up. Still fighting. Respect.

59 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You have to admire SU.

Say what you want but you cannot criticize the players effort levels all throughout the season.

Most of the defeats has been by the odd goal. Very rarely have they been battered.

I'm pleased for them, been much better than our 15/16 lot and other poor teams so no way should they get lowest ever total and now it's balancing out.

You never know, 6 more wins and a draw gets them to 30 points and then they need to hope Newcastle barely win a game rest of the season.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You have to admire SU.

But where is the team that got 9th last season and 54 points?

They lost Henderson but got in Ramsdale so like for like.  They got Brewster in.  They spent 56m.

Now after 22 games they have 11 points.  Not sure respect is what I’d give them to be honest.  

Watching them, they aren’t anywhere near the team they were last year.  So even taking away they overachieved last season they aren’t fighting, IMO, like last season.  

I’m not sure respect is appropriate when their attitude/impact has decreased very obviously both in performance and results for the large part of the 22 games they have played this season.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

You have to admire SU.

Have you put your Wilder posters back up?

Its a shame you can never show the same admiration for the team and manager you apparently support. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

Ramsdale is a good 10-15 points worse thane Henderson imo, even tonight he messed up on the goal.

Also lost their best CB right at start of the season so that's another 5 points.

Had an abnormal start to the season but they've now won 3 of the last 5 and also played really well at Man. City so there is a bit of hope. They can certainly get more points than Norwich who only got 21 last season.

Sheffield United have only started performing recently because of the very fact that they were so bad previsously, so bad that they looked to be virtually already relegated with half of the season left to play, them having nothing to lose has taken some of the pressure off them and they're doing better as a result. But being so bad for half a season that you then need champions league form to stay up isn't really something to admire, nor is only playing well when the pressure is off

• Like 1

I'm not just saying this because of today's result, I'd already cryptically hinted at it, but was looking at the Southampton team the other day and for as well as they've been doing with Hasenhüttl, they strike me as the kind of team that could perhaps have similar collapse to the one that Sheffield United had this season, I think there's a few similarities, wouldn't expect them to collapse to the same extent, but wouldn't be surprised to see them in a rele battle next season especially if they lose Ings, and their fans seem convinced that he wants a move.

Edit: Only just noticed it finished 9-0, was 7-0 when I started writing.

Edited by useless

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not just saying this because of today's result, I'd already cryptically hinted at it, but was looking at the Southampton team the other day and for as well as they've been doing with Hasenhüttl, they strike me as the kind of team that could perhaps have similar collapse to the one that Sheffield United had this season, I think there's a few similarities, wouldn't expect them to collapse to the same extent, but wouldn't be surprised to see them in a rele battle next season especially if they lose Ings, and their fans seem convinced that he wants a move.

Edit: Only just noticed it finished 9-0, was 7-0 when I started writing.

9 players out, several of them first team players and then 10 men for 93 minutes. Being a bit harsh on them I think. 

Not sure what you mean, like I said I'm not basing my prediction that they could struggle next season on today's result,  I'm basing it on the fact that I can see a lot similarites between them and Sheffield United. This was me writing yesterday...

On 01/02/2021 at 10:25, useless said:

there will always be premier league sides that look to be comfortable one season but the next can struggle, which gives the promoted teams a chance, last season it was Watford, this season Sheffield United, and wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Southampton, Newcastle or Palace struggle next season.

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ramsdale is a good 10-15 points worse thane Henderson imo, even tonight he messed up on the goal.

We were after Ramsdale in August, we tried to hijack Sheff Utd getting him.  Thankfully we signed Emi in September instead.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We were after Ramsdale in August, we tried to hijack Sheff Utd getting him.  Thankfully we signed Emi in September instead.

Easily the worst keeper in the league by a distance, I thought he was one of the main reasons Bournemouth went down so our season would've been hugely different if we'd signed him but I suspect it wasn't a genuine interest.

This was me writing on May 23rd 2020:

'I wouldn't be surprised if Sheffield United were relegated next season, they wouldn't be the first club to come up surpise a few people by doing well, but then struggling in the second season.'

At the time Sheffield United were seventh in the table.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, useless said:

'I wouldn't be surprised if Sheffield United were relegated next season, they wouldn't be the first club to come up surpise a few people by doing well, but then struggling in the second season.'

Stay away from me with your voodoo magic 😉😂

fortune teller GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

A few of said we expected to them to be in a relegation battle. Apart from the Wilder fan club that expected them to win the champions league. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

A few of said we expected to them to be in a relegation battle. Apart from the Wilder fan club that expected them to win the champions league. 

I said about 14th/15th as I thought they overachieved massively last season but I didn’t think the sky would fall for them.  I know they’ve had a good couple of results recently but jeez they look poor.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure that I was the only one that talked of them being relegated this season, or what at the time would have been 'next season' at that stage. And I can't blame people for not agreeing with me then, at the time they were seventh, only seven points off Chelsea with a game in hand, and being talked about as champions league contenders.

Edited by useless

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You have to admire SU.

We battered them. Better finishing and the score would have reflected the beating we were giving them. Even before the red we looked tasty.