Relegation chase 2020/21

MaVilla

As others have mentioned relegation is not decided by any means.  Fulham has a better goal difference than both Newcastle and Burnley.  Only reason they don't have the points to reflect their recent performances was their dreadful start to the season.  

Check out the current xG table. Newcastle and Burnley are not out of it by any means. For example, Newcastle is a Callum Wilson injury away from being the worst team in the league. 

SmartSelect_20210201-150146_Chrome.jpg

19 hours ago, Nigel said:

This mismatch does show the growing gulf in between prem and championship teams. 

It's a real shame but I cant see any promoted teams bridge the gap either. This could become the closed shop that was feared.

If Brentford came up instead of West Brom things would've been different. We've seen West Brom dropping a lot of points at the end of last season.

13 hours ago, Nigel said:

It shows more just how bad a shape we were in when we came down.

I don’t think the has ever been a club in the premier league ran worse than us for those 2-3 years prior to relegation. I know teams have gone down with less points but the running of the club to plummet from regular Top 6 to clear bottom of the league was inexcusable 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I don’t think the has ever been a club in the premier league ran worse than us for those 2-3 years prior to relegation. I know teams have gone down with less points but the running of the club to plummet from regular Top 6 to clear bottom of the league was inexcusable 

There have been many worse run clubs. Derby managed to be worse run in that record-breaking bad season even though it was only that year. Leeds for example (CL semi-final to relegation in 3? years) before they went down in the 2000's nearly ceased to exist. To my knowledge, at no point during that Lerner era was there a threat of administration or so. We were mismanaged but not to the point of financial ruin.

We were managed worse the 2 years after we went down than before we went down.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

There have been many worse run clubs. Derby managed to be worse run in that record-breaking bad season even though it was only that year. Leeds for example (CL semi-final to relegation in 3? years) before they went down in the 2000's nearly ceased to exist. To my knowledge, at no point during that Lerner era was there a threat of administration or so. We were mismanaged but not to the point of financial ruin.

We were managed worse the 2 years after we went down than before we went down.

Sunderland too.

2 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Sunderland too.

Yeah but I think they were on a par with us. We were lucky in a way that we didn't end up like them and end up with successive relegations.

44 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yeah but I think they were on a par with us. We were lucky in a way that we didn't end up like them and end up with successive relegations.

agreed, the trend was free fall until Bruce came to be fair. as much criticism as he (deservedly) gets I still thank him for halting that crash. Sunderland were less fortunate the poor bastards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Wish Burnley didn't skank them 4 points from us, horrible little shithouse club, would love it if they went down, the premiership would lose nothing from seeing them gone. 

Think I feel the exact opposite of this. I like that Burnley offer a different type of challenge to other teams, and I don't blame them for playing the most effective way they can to maximise their comparatively small resources.

Anyway, I don't for a minute think they'll be close to relegation at the end of the season. All they need to do is get 4 more wins IMO, and I don't think they'll find that hard.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, punkiller1981 said:

It was mostly the management during that last season (and the signing of sherwood before) that sent us down. We fell from top 6 after MON left, but with a lot of the same players. The quick departure of houllier made it so we had little continuity => more players leaving without replacements ready.

lambert did a decent job with the tools he had. But in our relegation season, our spine left all at the same time without replacements ready (Vlaar, Delph, Benteke) there were some miscasts in the squad (Richards, Lescott, Sinclair, Gestede) and no time for the others (Amani, Veretout) to adapt to the league. Add the mastermind of sherwood, the miscast in Garde (maybe not a bad coach, but not the man to grind out results like allardyce). The last season there was no long term vision (not in even in the months prior) and that cost us years to get back on top (thanks to Bruce).

On the bright side though... two wins from safety currently!
then we can all start to talk about Europe.
Despite the euphoria of what is turning into a wonderful season (coupled with some absolutely fantastic and astute signings), the target for me still has to be safety first - until its secure.

Or am i the only one holding back?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Think I feel the exact opposite of this. I like that Burnley offer a different type of challenge to other teams, and I don't blame them for playing the most effective way they can to maximise their comparatively small resources.

Anyway, I don't for a minute think they'll be close to relegation at the end of the season. All they need to do is get 4 more wins IMO, and I don't think they'll find that hard.

Dirty team, time wasters from the first whistle, next time they're on TV watch Pope take a goal kick early in the game, takes about 2 minutes. 

They are the best at what they do for sure and doubtful they will go down, just saying I'd love it if they did, replace them with a Brentford say, watch a quality game over shithousing any day for me.

As you say though, they do well considering the resources at their disposal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Dirty team, time wasters from the first whistle, next time they're on TV watch Pope take a goal kick early in the game, takes about 2 minutes. 

They are the best at what they do for sure and doubtful they will go down, just saying I'd love it if they did, replace them with a Brentford say, watch a quality game over shithousing any day for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Brentford came up. As you say, they're really good to watch.

But I like different styles and different challenges. 'Variety is the spice of life' and all that.

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if Brentford came up. As you say, they're really good to watch.

But I like different styles and different challenges. 'Variety is the spice of life' and all that.

As much as I detest players like Mee and Rodriquez I hope Burnley stay up as it’s a great away day. The away end is ramshackle but it’s refreshingly different from all the modern soulless stadiums. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Wish Burnley didn't skank them 4 points from us, horrible little shithouse club, would love it if they went down, the premiership would lose nothing from seeing them gone. 

They'll be gone soon.

Dodgy new owners.

The second Dyche goes, they fall apart.

The second they try and do anything but boot it and play rugby, they fall apart.

You shouldn't be watching a Premier League game worrying players are trying to injure each other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AtkinsonWonderGoal said:

Despite the euphoria of what is turning into a wonderful season (coupled with some absolutely fantastic and astute signings), the target for me still has to be safety first - until its secure.

That's how I feel. I think that's due to being emotionally scarred of watching Villa for about the last 10 years. However we are looking good and definitely on our way to reestablishing ourselves as a top flight team again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They'll be gone soon.

Dodgy new owners.

The second Dyche goes, they fall apart.

The second they try and do anything but boot it and play rugby, they fall apart.

You shouldn't be watching a Premier League game worrying players are trying to injure each other.

100%

4 hours ago, AtkinsonWonderGoal said:

Why would we need more points to be sure of staying up than last season.

Pretty sure after 20 games last season we were on about 21 points and still barely above the bottom 3 compared to this season where we'd be 7 points clear.

I actually think 32 points will probably keep you up this season unless Fulham go on a really good run second half so we could lose every single game in run in and stay up not that I want us to test that theory.

Target for me is get to 50 points and take things from there. We may have around 10 games left when we get to that point which would be very exciting.

6 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Agree dirty little club. Also lets remember Burnley is an established very rich premier league club they CHOSE to do it on the cheap. They choose to play dirty and injure opponents. Now they have sold the club based on mortgaging itself. The owners have pocketed the cash and bailed.  bad times ahead for Burnley, couldn't happen to a more deserving club. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree dirty little club. Also lets remember Burnley is an established very rich premier league club they CHOSE to do it on the cheap. They choose to play dirty and injure opponents. Now they have sold the club based on mortgaging itself. The owners have pocketed the cash and bailed.  bad times ahead for Burnley, couldn't happen to a more deserving club. 

Valid point, can't be bothered to dig in to it but thinking on it, they really must have had low overheads, paid crap wages to all and the owners were in it for exactly whats going on now. Scumbags.

• Like 1