Ross Barkley

LondonLax

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

I don't think you'd get anything near barkleys quality for £20m given the market at the moment.   You may get an unproven player who has the potential to be better than barkley but there's at more risk.  I accept the argument that maybe he is only a £20m player given his age and erratic form this year and we should be looking at £40m players for such a key position.

Agreed for such a key position you need to be prepared to go all out on making sure you get the right player and to a certain extent we have had Barkley essentially on a years very well paid trial. I’m not convinced it’s worked, don’t know if long Covid had anything to do with it but I think we need to spend big here or on a left winger and move Jack inside

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

I don't think you'd get anything near barkleys quality for £20m given the market at the moment.   You may get an unproven player who has the potential to be better than barkley but there's at more risk.  I accept the argument that maybe he is only a £20m player given his age and erratic form this year and we should be looking at £40m players for such a key position.

You mean the quality that shows up once every 6-7 games? 
Barkley on his day is quality, but it’s rare so can’t say he’s worth the money. He was great against Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal early on. The second Arsenal game he was fine. Apart from that he was between bad and average even though he scored at Leicester and Southampton.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2021 at 16:14, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think that is debatable.

Besides, not seen much quality either.

Do you mean in terms of quantity or ability level?

Because the former I agree with, the latter is bollocks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Do you mean in terms of quantity or ability level?

Because the former I agree with, the latter is bollocks?

We have seen very little quantity of quality in his time with us.

He certainly had ability, just a shame he forgot to bring that to Villa with him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We have seen very little quantity of quality in his time with us.

He certainly had ability, just a shame he forgot to bring that to Villa with him.

Would.love to know what's gone on behind the scenes, he's definitely a player but God knows what's going on.

Hasn't done enough for me but I can see the potential if he can turn it on week in week out.

• Like 1

He has a contract until 2023. He is on 100k a week. He will be 28 this year and is physically declining already.

Nobody is dropping a fee for this guy and nobody is going to be stupid to give him a long term deal matching his salary.

He's Chelsea's problem now. I would loan him again because that's the best offer Chelsea will get from anyone.

I would not even contemplate committing a contract to this guy. It will he about 20m over the duration.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I thought he'd improved massively in our last few games, if he continues that form and even shows the levels he did in his first 5 games then he will at least put himself in the shop window again

Hopefully he ends up at Newcastle or Palace.

I think that's about his level now as a player.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Would.love to know what's gone on behind the scenes, he's definitely a player but God knows what's going on.

Hasn't done enough for me but I can see the potential if he can turn it on week in week out.

Deano mentioned something about confidence, in the last presser when asked about him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I thought a lot of rumours claimed he had long Covid?

If he had long covid then there is zero chance he would be training let alone playing. He was / is clearly unfit for a professional athlete in the very top tier of the game and his attitude is also suspect, judging by his lack of effort to help other team mates/ reaction to being subbed/ willingness to try.

Baffled by the thoughts of some, forgetting 12 plus games due to one decent game.

Injuries, poor performances, poor attitude and inflated wages ? There is zero way we should be looking at him unless a free transfer.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Hopefully he ends up at Newcastle or Palace.

I think that's about his level now as a player.

Newcastle fans already have Steve Bruce why would you do that to them? 

• Haha 2

Â