Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Dean will know a lot more about the non-playing issues like the injuries, covid and his petulance when he got subbed those couple of times and can make the right judgment on which is more likely, a performance like last night or the garbage of the last few months.  I'll have to trust the club's judgment on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly Im glad you watched the same game as me , his one touch passing to other players ensured the game was in front of the other players , he got us up the pitch and kept us moving quick, also he covered he covered the most distance of any player last night.

Which site is it that has this information. Been looking for it for years.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Which site is it that has this information. Been looking for it for years.

Sky had it up after the game

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Thanks for pointing that out ,fantastic contribution to the thread as always 😂

Don't follow, sorry. 

I usually look at sofascore and whoscored but must have missed it if they have it.

Think distance covered is an interesting stat even thou it doesn't show if it was intelligent movement or not. What site is it you use?

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Don't follow, sorry. 

I usually look at sofascore and whoscored but must have missed it if they have it.

Think distance covered is an interesting stat even thou it doesn't show if it was intelligent movement or not. What site is it you use?

I thought you referred to  me saying the same thing twice in my post,  I saw it on sky after the game they had a list o 3 players who covered most ground and Barkley was top

Edited by gwi1890
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

I thought you referred to  me saying the same thing twice in my post,  I saw it on sky after the game they had a list o 3 players who covered most ground and Barkley was top

Ah OK  :D 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not buying this narrative that the whole team was shite so why should we have expected any more from Ross.

We were shite because we lacked creativity and guile in the forward positions, as a result we lost possession far too easily putting undue pressure on the defensive phase, our confidence as a team wavered and results slipped. Winnable games passed us by, and a large part of the reason for that is that Barkley, by far the worst of them for me, failed to step up when we needed him, more than anyone else, to do just that.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Had a great game yesterday, but let’s not forget the six months of awful performances. We mustn’t sign him. Hopefully he has a great remainder of the season, but let’s not make the mistake of signing him. 

Great post and I agree, it would be a huge mistake in singing him.

For the rumoured fee it would cost to buy him I would rather give Chelsea the same money for Tammy.

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yeah I'm not buying this narrative that the whole team was shite so why should we have expected any more from Ross.

We were shite because we lacked creativity and guile in the forward positions, as a result we lost possession far too easily putting undue pressure on the defensive phase, our confidence as a team wavered and results slipped. Winnable games passed us by, and a large part of the reason for that is that Barkley, by far the worst of them for me, failed to step up when we needed him, more than anyone else, to do just that.

The question that you're missing and most important part, is why didn't he step up? What was stopping him? 

There were mitigating factors at the time. 

Now, we know that there aren't. If he doesn't keep up this level until the end of the season then we know he's not worth bothering with - if he does, then the board have a decision to make. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

The question that you're missing and most important part, is why didn't he step up? What was stopping him? 

There were mitigating factors at the time. 

Now, we know that there aren't. If he doesn't keep up this level until the end of the season then we know he's not worth bothering with - if he does, then the board have a decision to make. 

We have been told by both Everton and Chelsea fans that he is very inconsistent. Why that is and what stops him from becoming that next level of player, I couldn't tell you. 

Without specifically knowing what those mitigating factors are, I cannot tell you how relevant they are. For me, even if he does keep up *this* level of performance, it still won't be enough. Because this would be the absolute minimum I would expect from a number 10 in a team pushing for European places. Every week, more or less. We should be able to find better, if not then we aren't looking hard enough imo. 

If he were to show something else, with this as the baseline, and the club believe these 'mitigating factors' are relevant enough to the absolute rubbish he was churning out, then we might have a decision to make. 

• Like 2

On 02/05/2021 at 13:59, sharkyvilla said:

Dean will know a lot more about the non-playing issues like the injuries, covid and his petulance when he got subbed those couple of times and can make the right judgment on which is more likely, a performance like last night or the garbage of the last few months.  I'll have to trust the club's judgment on this.

He lost this benefit of the doubt from me, with respect to Barkley when he played him 2 games in a row after he'd done nothing in 2 previous sub appearances. That suggests he cannot make the right call on which performance is more likely. 

His approach with Ross has been very much like a spam mail. Try it enough times and it will work once.

If he keeps his place and keeps up his performances, it does suggest he was being played into form, and out of an injury, and you can make an argument that the club got it right ... but on current evidence i don't think he deserved another chance and even if he does eventually come good for the rest of the season,  I don't see it doing us any long term favours.

If the situation arises where we buy Ross, and he helps deliver us to Europe next season, I'll happily eat my words on this one. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2021 at 22:52, Don_Simon said:

The bond between him and some fans of VillaTalk and Twitter is broken.

He signs, on the first home game of next season, 40,000 Villa fans will cheer his name. Don't be confused by a small minority of forum / social media users mate.

He's quality. I'd sign him in a heartbeat. 

What utter nonsense.

Thank christ you have no say in our transfer dealings.

On 02/05/2021 at 13:59, sharkyvilla said:

Hasn't Smith already said there are no plans to make the loan permanent?

Not exactly I think he said that they haven't discussed it  so sitting on the fence.  Even if Barkley recovers his good form until the end of the season that still makes about half the year he has been poor. Its going to be  a question of money as he would have to take a pay cut and what Villa will offer for him will no doubt be less than what Chelsea expect.

Â