Ross Barkley

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We’ve come along way from this time last year. We’re debating whether Smith is right to try and play Barkley into fitness, whereas 12 months ago he was trying to play Drinkwater into fitness. 

This is true, I hope my examination of Barkley's worth doesn't make me look like I'm unaware of our progress.

Overall I couldn't be happier but I believe this forum and football in general is something that warrants debate on points of difference.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

This is true, I hope my examination of Barkley's worth doesn't make me look like I'm unaware of our progress.

Overall I couldn't be happier but I believe this forum and football in general is something that warrants debate on points of difference.

Not at all. 

That’s why all love football, everybody has their own take and it’s interesting to hear people’s views. 

I’m on the fence with Barkley, he’s clearly not fully fit, but then we know what he’s capable of when he’s on top form. Arsenal might well be the right kind of game for him, he should get a bit more freedom on the ball. But I’d have no qualms with him being benched, if Smith thinks he needs to sit this one out. 

• Like 2

I do wonder whether his playing time is partly down to Deans promise to get Ross into the euros squad. Obviously cant do this from the bench and maybe deans almost made a rod for his own back.

of course it’s down to the player first and foremost to perform to justify selection but it makes me wonder. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Not at all. 

That’s why all love football, everybody has their own take and it’s interesting to hear people’s views. 

I’m on the fence with Barkley, he’s clearly not fully fit, but then we know what he’s capable of when he’s on top form. Arsenal might well be the right kind of game for him, he should get a bit more freedom on the ball. But I’d have no qualms with him being benched, if Smith thinks he needs to sit this one out. 

I will have my opinions, but if me being wrong makes Villa better so be it. I can admit I'm wrong. 

I want nothing more than for Ross to tear Arsenal a new one and rip them apart. I hope history proves that I have no problem admitting egg on my face when I'm wrong.

However if Ross plays and plays the same he has the last 3-4 matches, I shall be full of anxiety no matter the score.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

don't know how reliable but fwiw

Can’t say I’m surprised, on his day he’s a level above the quality we would have hoped to get in the summer. Yeah injury hasn’t helped and he’s working his way back.

for the right price I’d take him a heartbeat and I really hope he finds his form again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

We’ve come along way from this time last year. We’re debating whether Smith is right to try and play Barkley into fitness, whereas 12 months ago he was trying to play Drinkwater into fitness. 

Exactly. And I actually remember having the same debate about whether Drinkwater had a clause in his contract which said he had to play

At the time I was utterly convinced he must have because he was absolutely, unequivocally dreadful each time he played, but started every single game. I was obviously wrong because he got dropped at some point but it was very bizarre how he kept starting 

The most frustrating player in the squad. I can see why Smith starts him because he has that moment of brilliance in his locker in the final third, but we end up with 2 strikers effectively when he starts. He offers so little tracking back, and he slows down the play in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

do one ross. perform like that and throw a tantrum about getting subbed? if there was a bottle near me i'd have been kicking it when i saw you lose it and make ZERO effort in winning it back. **** right off. a kid from the academy put in 10x the shift you did in the 20 mins he was on

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

I thought he was ok. Better than recent games. 

I though he was better but some questionable decision making needs to lift his head when dribbling it’s high school head down and go stuff, subbed at the right time played his part , J.J had a good game and worked when he came on

Â