Ross Barkley

LondonLax

My worry with Barkley isn't his footballing ability, it's his athleticism and pace. 

His technique and ability can't be questioned. They're top notch and probably always have been.

My worry is we're starting to put together a squad that lacks pace and energy. Tielemans and Barkley are both great footballers but they lack energy. It's why I liked the Gallagher links because I believe he brings an energy we lack in the middle of the pitch. Even Kamara and Luiz can be pedestrian at times (again, ability not in question).

I hope we procure some athleticism at some point. Like me. In my prime. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Trust in Unai, he knows what he is doing.

He’s an absolutely classic Emery signing.

We said this when he came in, he’s going to sign people that make everyone go “…huh? That’s underwhelming” (like Moreno, for example). And then throughout his career he’s made those people part of really, really good teams.

• Like 1

Barkley has had a fantastic season. I am really excited at how good he could become with Unai as his coach. He suits our style of play and helps to strengthen an area where we lack any credible depth.

His fee and wages will be low and he brings lots of experience. This is a smart signing. I suspect we will give him a 2 year deal with the option of a third. I mentioned him a few weeks ago and got shot down but he will really help us next season. 

• Like 2

Short term deal (i.e. 2 year contract at most) it's fine to add depth. Barkley has had a good season with Luton and technically can play in our team, but isn't a long term answer.

If it means we can spend big on a defensive midfielder and right back then I'm ok with these smart deals. Just don't put him on a long contract. 

There will be areas of his game where we will be disappointed,namely in his speed and athleticism  but the rest of his game is very very good. He played for Luton like Thiago Alcantara used to play for Liverpool. A very talented footballer that will be able to dictate in certain games  . Got outrageous touch and abililty to manupulate the ball still and can score a goal. Plus he is another 6ft 2 brickshithouse. 

Im really suprised he would come back from what i remember it didnt end well here. Started really well then got injured ans wasnt very good after that

He was outstanding in the 7-2 win vs Liverpool though

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, striker said:

Emery may see Barkley as a ten who can put pressure on Diaby to perform better?

Barkley played deeper for Luton and would more likely be rotation for Luiz. But emery likes flexibility, so I'm sure he might play him there if injuries hit.

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

He's more mobile than Tielemans if that's the worry and the Don managed to turn him into a real box to box engine for us. I trust that we'll have Rossdrea Birlo turning up for us when we need him, until Kamara is back.

Fair play Ross, you've had a fantastic season, many Luton fans hail you as the best player they have ever seen in a Luton shirt, there are calls for you to get an England call-up, and that genuinely might have happened, at least to the provisional list, if not for current injury, and now Aston Villa managed by Emery who is a good judge, want to sign you

I know it's YouTube but his highlights this season show a different player to what I saw. 

Strong and composed on the ball. 

Looks perfect for how we play out from the back. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

My worry with Barkley isn't his footballing ability, it's his athleticism and pace. 

His technique and ability can't be questioned. They're top notch and probably always have been.

My worry is we're starting to put together a squad that lacks pace and energy. Tielemans and Barkley are both great footballers but they lack energy. It's why I liked the Gallagher links because I believe he brings an energy we lack in the middle of the pitch. Even Kamara and Luiz can be pedestrian at times (again, ability not in question).

I hope we procure some athleticism at some point. Like me. In my prime. 

I’ve never met you or seen you play but I can’t leave your last sentence without passing comment, we’re you like myself one that slipped through the cracks and never realised full,potential? A tragedy in itself!

Â