Ross Barkley

LondonLax

If Unai thinks he can make a positive contribution then that's all I need to hear.

I'd like to see him back. Perhaps there's a bit of unfinished business for him here.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

🎶 …he’s Unai Emery’s man, he’s better than Zidane, we’ve got Super Ro…

na it doesn’t work at all…

there can be only one.

There's only one Ross Barkley, one Ross Barkley, he used to be cack and now he's back, walking in a Barkley wonderland 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

Very cheap clause in his contract apparently

Wasn’t Zaniolo cover for Buendia injury?

This signing makes a lot of sense. Will help us in our ability to sign better players for other positions in the summer. Like Unai said, we need to be smart, and not just go for big names for all of our signings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Wasn’t Zaniolo cover for Buendia injury?

Nico mostly played on the left however given JJ’s injuries and sometimes covering Emi. Neither John nor Youri are playing out wide. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Nico mostly played on the left however given JJ’s injuries and sometimes covering Emi. Neither John nor Youri are playing out wide. 

Seemed like Buendia was set to start the season on the left. Was tearing it up in preseason from that position.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Would be absolutely fine with this.  He's not our marquee signing (if even there will be), he's going to bolster a squad that desperately needs it with the season ahead.

I thought he was good here but just couldn't stay fit.  That's always a risk again but trust the gaffer.

Wonder if he got on with the lads when he was here. You'd think that conversations would have been had.

I distinctly remember Ty telling him to repeatedly F off in a game… if that helps…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Who?? Are you okay? Anyone who was skeptical about the Tielemans signing needs a head wobble

This is not the same thing or remotely comparable, I wish people would stop relating the two.

He'd looked out of sorts for Leicester the previous season and it took him a few months to get into form for us. I think a fair few people were doubting whether he could still play at the top level. 

Not convinced by this one, but he's a different player now in some ways. He is playing as deep lying playmaker, which baffles me, as remember him being tackle shy when he played for us.

Don't know what to make of this. 

Given the interest and his history, he will probably demand a healthy wage.

Can't say I'm too convinced by this one at all.

Flopped on loan badly. Then hardly played at Chelsea. Played a bit at Nice but didn't stand out. Decent at Luton but ultimately that's a bottom of the league team. That's the last four years of his career, his peak years just going by age.

Yeah "cover/squad" and all that but not like we're struggling for players in his position. Tielemans was warming the bench for half the season and he's comfortably better than Barkley as are Luiz and McGinn. Buendia will also return hopefully.

We need a DM far more and then our midfield is o.k in terms of numbers again.

What this does suggest to me is we really don't have much money at all to spend this summer until we make a significant sale and he'll leave for hardly anything from Luton.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah "cover/squad" and all that but not like we're struggling for players in his position.

The only player we had to bring on against Liverpool for Luiz was Chambers. Does that seem fine to you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The only player we had to bring on against Liverpool for Luiz was Chambers. Does that seem fine to you?

In August hopefully it will be new DM-Luiz-SJM-Tielemans-Buendia-Ramsey-Rogers.

Seven for four positions there and indeed it might only be three used if we play 4-2-3-1 as then Diaby comes into play for support striker. No need for Barkley at all unless one of those listed is getting sold....

Just now, VillaChris said:

Seven for four positions there and indeed it might only be three used if we play 4-2-3-1 as then Diaby comes into play for support striker. No need for Barkley at all unless one of those listed is getting sold....

You have to project for injuries in any given season, given how depleted we were in midfield this season, which likely cost us UECL final, it's prudent to make sure we can deal with injury crises better than last season 

• Like 1

Ross don’t do it. One below par performance ( ie one misplaced pass ) and your past will come back to haunt you on here people will not forget the past.

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm very much for this. As I remember last time he was here he was excepted to be an attacking midfielder (and did quite well the first months, the trashing of LIverpool comes to mind for example), second part of the season he looked injured/half arsed. If he now comes in as a CM I think it could be bordering a genius move. He is a real unit, strong in the duels, his passing ability is sublime, both short space possession passing and long range through ball-passing. He still has the ability to get past players in short spaces in the middle of the pitch (not so much the surging runs you would expect from a more attacking midfielder). As I've understood Luton has played a 3-4-3 where Barkley has been one of the two CM, seems similar to the role that our two CM has. He certainly brings the ability to keep the ball and control the game.

Forget about him as the attacking midfielder expected to win games with goals and assists. Instead, a big strong lad in the middle of the pitch who shows for the ball, often wins his duels, is an exquisite passer and has an eye for a through ball who we can get on a free transfer or small fee - yes please!  

He has played central midfield throughout his career, its not exactly a revelatory change in the last few months. I remember watching him stink out the England central midfield in 2019 in that weird Nations League mini-tournament in Portugal and I remember in the stadium explicitly thinking he was by far the worst player on the pitch, he was so slow it was embarrassing to watch.... and that was 5 years ago when he was in his "prime" years.

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

And 6 of them are best used as an AM or LM/RM

Â