Ross Barkley

LondonLax

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Shall we riot at Barkley’s exclusion from the England squad like we did with Jack’s last month?

it'll be fine. all he has to do is single handily tear apart every team we play against and then he'll get called up next time one of the team brings some Scandinavian sort back to their hotel. i estimate he'll be back in the team in a year or 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

5m loan fee plus his wages (around 115k per week, assuming the fee) - sounds about right? 

No it doesn't sound right at all, be surprised if we're covering all his wages. As others have pointed out, no credible source 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully this strengthens both of their chances and they form a very good understanding and link up.

Jack seems very happy about the signing.

Wouldn't you be?

Almost singlehandedly carried his team over the survival finish line last year... was promised investment and progression... and has seen that come to fruition with the addition of someone he knows as a fellow player and a close friend...

The additions of Traore, Martinez and Barkley from teams in regular European competition are a real statement of intent... plus Matty Cash who has been absolutely fantastic so far...

Jack might have a bit more room to manouvere and show what he has got to offer now that opposition players know they cant just triple mark him as there are other quality players in the Villa squad they have to keep an eye on

Its a very exciting time to be a Villa fan :)

29 minutes ago, Denaldinho said:

I think this is a quality signing - People remark about his inconsistency but remember he does not get a lot of game time at Chelsea.  I'm expecting good things with him and grealish

Like Martinez.....when players get settled and have a run of games, as opposed to stop/start......we could see an even better player, than we know.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

No it doesn't sound right at all, be surprised if we're covering all his wages. As others have pointed out, no credible source 

No credible source either way, so a bit strange to say that it 'doesn't sound right at all.' It's entirely possible.

Just now, lexicon said:

No credible source either way, so a bit strange to say that it 'doesn't sound right at all.' It's entirely possible.

OK then, he's cost us £2m loan fee and 75k a week. He pushed for the move away after speaking to Lampard who told him he was 3rd choice and was unlikely to play more than 10 premier league games and wouldn't start I could go on with more details but...... It would all be bollox

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

When did Purslow say we will never make another a loan signing? I suspect he didn't and was perhaps the club wants to move away from too many loan signings. Do you have a link to the quote?

Barkley is phenomenal addition for the season. Can't imagine that anyone would think otherwise

He did say that but qualified it as bad because it develops other teams players who profit on the time and energy you have put in to developing their player at the expense of your own. 

He definitely did make that qualification so as others have said, that doesn't apply here because Barkley is fully developed, everyone knows how good he is and what he can do. 

Barkley is not going to cost us any more or make Chelsea any more money if he has a great season with us.  He's a fully developed player so I think Purslow is off the hook on that one. 

If Ramsey was sat in the reserves because we loaned in a Chelsea youngster to sit on our bench that's another thing. 

On 30/09/2020 at 17:14, TRO said:

I am just encouraged by so many players a similar age.....I think it helps enormously.

I think this is an overlooked fact...for example, despite finishing near the bottom of the table in the 2012-13 season, I had a lot of fun watching and it seemed like most of the players had a lot of fun on the pitch together. Most of the squad were within a few years of each other and it really seemed like they enjoyed playing with each other and got along well. I think that will be an extra boost this season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, a-k said:

I think this is an overlooked fact...for example, despite finishing near the bottom of the table in the 2012-13 season, I had a lot of fun watching and it seemed like most of the players had a lot of fun on the pitch together. Most of the squad were within a few years of each other and it really seemed like they enjoyed playing with each other and got along well. I think that will be an extra boost this season.

Me too.....camaraderie.

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He did say that but qualified it as bad because it develops other teams players who profit on the time and energy you have put in to developing their player at the expense of your own. 

He definitely did make that qualification so as others have said, that doesn't apply here because Barkley is fully developed, everyone knows how good he is and what he can do. 

Barkley is not going to cost us any more or make Chelsea any more money if he has a great season with us.  He's a fully developed player so I think Purslow is off the hook on that one. 

If Ramsey was sat in the reserves because we loaned in a Chelsea youngster to sit on our bench that's another thing. 

There is always an exception to every rule.....and he is entitled to change his mind.

He might have said in the light of a negotiation that just pissed him off.

Its not always good practice to be fair.....but sometimes it is.....its just one of them.

I will never hang a man for changing his mind....we are all entitled to do so.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is always an exception to every rule.....and he is entitled to change his mind.

He might have said in the light of a negotiation that just pissed him off.

Its not always good practice to be fair.....but sometimes it is.....its just one of them.

I will never hang a man for changing his mind....we are all entitled to do so.

Added to which only a fool refuses to change his mind.   I've worked for a few bosses who would never change their minds after going down one route, and they are always the worst leaders. 

A good leader will remain flexible and open to new ideas. What worked a year ago might not work now. 

Â