Match Thread: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The hot takes in here are amazing.  

Personally I think we've been OK.  Three players making their debut, I think all have played well. Sheffield United have defended superbly since the red, they've got 7-8 men behind the ball every time we are in possession and all we can really do is try to stretch the game to tire them out, there's no room through the middle so it's got to be out wide.  Can they keep it up for another 45 minutes or will they get tired and holes begin to appear?  I'd like to see us go down the right hand side a bit more but I'm not sure Smith will start making changes until at least the hour mark. 

We've been ok.

But the quality of our squad is a concern. Our midfield looks lightweight, and our defence looks very prone to switching off. That, plus the fact that we seem to lack some creativity at the moment, is worrying.

I'm sure once the window is done things will be better. But there are still some big issues carrying over from last season.

Edited by jacketspuds
Issues
  • Like 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Jamie Carragher isn’t annoying isn’t he.

What is he even on about though, admits it's a foul.

So the question is, is it denying a goalscoring opportunity, or for var is it clear and obvious it is not a goalscoring opportunity.

The guy is drunk.

Of course it looks harsh, cos it's not much of a foul for a red, but it's the circumstances that make it a red, not the fact he just went through him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

The hot takes in here are amazing.  

Personally I think we've been OK.  Three players making their debut, I think all have played well. Sheffield United have defended superbly since the red, they've got 7-8 men behind the ball every time we are in possession and all we can really do is try to stretch the game to tire them out, there's no room through the middle so it's got to be out wide.  Can they keep it up for another 45 minutes or will they get tired and holes begin to appear?  I'd like to see us go down the right hand side a bit more but I'm not sure Smith will start making changes until at least the hour mark. 

It's so refreshing seeing a positive, optimistic perspective amongst the sea of hyper-pessimism. Villa can't even make it through half of football without being slated by this board lol.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Would anyone take 0-0 now?

No. We should be beating them over 80 odd minutes against 10 men. Anything but 3 points is a major missed opportunity. Surely after last year we know the value of 3 points.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Mostly the same players we saw last season and mostly the same issues we saw last season.

Sorry, but if things stay like this, at what point do we start blaming the manager?

Nothing about the play looks different.

• Like 2

Just now, Enda said:

On a positive note, we are controlling a side who finished midtable last season. Our new right back looks impressive. Got a good keeper in as well.

We are favourites to nick a goal and win this.

I think Cash could do with just staying right upfield on the right wing, no real need for defensive duties, stretch their back 4 out a bit and create a bit of space to get runners in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

On a positive note, we are controlling a side who finished midtable last season. Our new right back looks impressive. Got a good keeper in as well.

We are favourites to nick a goal and win this.

They are sitting back, it’s not really control. They just want to counter when we lose it.

It was a foul, Watkins was clean through and that is a red card. 

Basham dived and should've been booked. I guarantee he will be at least yellow-carded at some point tonight. He gets it almost every time he plays us. 

McGinn has been pants. Trez and Cash need to start moving and taking on their opponents down the right.

Emi is amazing. Great save despite the clueless fecker Villa fan next to me saying it was a poor pen - it was going into the side so a decent pen. 

• Like 1