Match Thread: Villa v Sheff United

limpid

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

We would be better vs 11, they playing for a point now and defend well, no shame here, kill em in the 2nd half.

Literally every team going down to 10 men park the bus.

But somehow only we seem to struggle against 10 men.

Players are forcing it. Just keep the ball and tire them out. Stop attempting  stupid difficult passes

• Like 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

Need more bodies in the box as they are letting us have the ball out wide. I'd bring another striker on. 

Very clear that’s their tactics, they’ll fancy winning headers in the box all day, it’s irrelevant if they are a man down in those situations.

8 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Must win game this.

7 hours ago, Enda said:

It's not though.

its not a "must win" ofc, but its a game where we should win, and we should expect to win now.

this was a game last season where we go on to lose against 10 men, or at best draw.

I would say this is a "must win" in the context that we need to show we have learnt from last seasons mistakes. (and arent as bad as last season)

I thought it was ok.  We are playing a team that came in the top ten last season and after the early sending off have parked the bus in front of the goal.  They have always been a well organised team so this suits them.  We just need to get shots on target and we’ll score eventually.  This is a patience game.

• Like 1

Looks like Smith still hasn’t got around to that briefing session about how to play against 10 men. 

Great penalty save by Martinez though, He’s my man of the match so far. 

On my wish list for the second half is, think about getting some shots on target.

• Like 1

We haven't a clue what to do with it in the final third. Too slow, too telegraphed. Positive note on the new boys though. Every ball that Cash has put in has been dangerous, right in behind them too. Watkins is sharp, bull strong. Rag dolled their defence around for most of that 1st half, and they are a big team. Martinez, very confident looking and great save for the penalty. Jack having one of his playing for himself days. LEAVE THE BALL IN. Don't have to beat every man, every time.

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1

I dont think we were that bad. Sheff are defending very, very well and we are getting the ball into some dangerous positions (Cash doesn't half have a good cross on him). Just need to move the ball about a bit quicker, which I think will come as we grow into the game a bit more.

• Like 1

Maybe we should look at using the right side of the pitch ? Just a thought as the first 3 minutes we had 3 opportunities and the other time watkins got pulled back.

Not everything needs to go through jack and we are losing our shape as trez is drifting inside looking to get the ball.

We also don't need 12 touches between players before a failed cross or no shot.

Quicker thinking and passing and use the sapce on both sides of the pitch.

Great save from our number 1