Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

His xG last season was 3.28. He scored 1 goal. So he either missed a couple of sitter along the way, or he took so many shots from poor positions that the total added up. That's not good obviously. And generally he was quite average. 

However on the flip side, it was 1254 minutes. Who hasn't had a poor 1254 minutes in their career? I have at least 4 shit hours a day at work. 

You go back before that and he is objectively 'good', with flashes of brilliant. At least statistically, he was one of the best players across the Netherlands and France between 2016 and 2018. Then something changed... It sounds like he was switched to RWB last season too, which wouldn't suit his profile at all. He's a forward. 

I don't know which player we are gonna get, but I know there's a player in him. Chelsea thought the same when they sold him to Lyon, inserting a buy back clause and a sell on fee. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

His xG last season was 3.28. He scored 1 goal. So he either missed a couple of sitter along the way, or he took so many shots from poor positions that the total added up. That's not good obviously. And generally he was quite average. 

However on the flip side, it was 1254 minutes. Who hasn't had a poor 1254 minutes in their career? I have at least 4 shit hours a day at work. 

You go back before that and he is objectively 'good', with flashes of brilliant. At least statistically, he was one of the best players across the Netherlands and France between 2016 and 2018. Then something changed... It sounds like he was switched to RWB last season too, which wouldn't suit his profile at all. He's a forward. 

I don't know which player we are gonna get, but I know there's a player in him. Chelsea thought the same when they sold him to Lyon, inserting a buy back clause and a sell on fee. 

He just might be our version of Traoré, but our own Traoré, rather the previous Traoré.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

And funnily enough, Adama is only a year younger than Bertrand I think. No idea why people are so against this signing, relatively young player with quite a high profile in the game. Came through a good youth setup, had solid loans in Europe, but has had a bad couple of years in relative context which is likely down to the amount of changes over at Lyon.

Lets get behind this guy!

I will be behind him if he signs, same as I would be with almost every other signing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It should probably be pointed out that Lyon had a different manager for his first two seasons, Bruno Genesio, when Traore had two good seasons, and was then replaced by Sylvinho last summer and later Rudi Garcia a few months later. It's not exactly unheard of for a player to not fit a new managers system and then have a crap time, maybe the way they played didn't suit Traore, maybe he did turn shit, he clearly has some ability and his qualities do seem to be what we lack, so personally I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

It should probably be pointed out that Lyon had a different manager for his first two seasons, Bruno Genesio, when Traore had two good seasons, and was then replaced by Sylvinho last summer and later Rudi Garcia a few months later. It's not exactly unheard of for a player to not fit a new managers system and then have a crap time, maybe the way they played didn't suit Traore, maybe he did turn shit, he clearly has some ability and his qualities do seem to be what we lack, so personally I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself

He does sound a bit like a player who needs an arm around him, for better or worse.

If that's what he's after, he has probably come to the right place. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm over the moon with this. No idea how anyone can be so negative about it 

Good stuff! He's exciting for sure.

Among other things, a big frustration I have (that will hopefully go away when he has a good few games) is that it's such a pricey deal for a guy not wanted by his current club.

We've got a bloody good chance for real serious progression here. 

Let's not forget Randy ploughed loads and loads of money in and eventually pulled the plug. I know he was a bit different because he had nothing like the wealth these lads do, but he was very invested IMO, until all of sudden he wasn't.

The club should be going much more solid than Traore IMO. Watkins isn't worth £28m but he's such an all-round sound player with a spotless record I'll be stunned if he's looked at as anything other than an excellent buy in two years.

This is a full on data signing for me. He scores very highly in certain areas but isn't IMO a "good" footballer. You can't teach pace though, and you also can't defend against it if it's used well.

I don't know, maybe NSWE are happy to stick in £120m a season and won't be stopping until we win the league. That would be fun stuff, if a little wasteful. Not my money.

This is waving a huge flag to everyone around Europe. These lot have money coming out of their arse and will pay double what you want or need. Clubs, agents, players, they'll all be wanting some of this. Wouldn't be surprised if Rashica's agent has just thrown another £4m onto his fee onto the contract we're currently trying to wrestle him into signing.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

I think even if we are overpaying, maybe we aren't and be'll be really good? Who knows, but i think we certainly aren't hugely overpaying etc. This guy was not going to be sold for £10-12m, we just signed a full back from Championship for more. If we are overpaying it's not by that much where people should freak out and undervaluing the current market to try and prove a point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate it when other people can’t form a view of a player we’re linked with or sign saying ‘we’ll have to wait and see him play in a Villa shirt’ but that’s exactly where I am with Traore.

I can see both sides of the argument. At £17.5m he could be a bit of a bargain given that Just over a year ago he was rumoured to be going to Liverpool, only for Lyon to be asking £40m for him.

The one thing that is absolutely clear is even if he is predictable with only a left peg, he is very quick, experienced, aggressive and does have goals in his locker. Also he’s lived and played in the UK before. All that is exactly what we need. If we were signing Ismaili Sarr from Watford the blog would be in a bigger meltdown than it is over Rashica.......but Sarr and Bertrand are very similar types of players imo.

So I’m all for the signing. He’s been at Lyon for three years, had two great seasons (when he was worth £40m) only for Rudi Garcia to come in last summer and not rate him. That happens all the time in football so, as I say, £17.5m could well be a bargain.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MentalM said:

I will be behind him if he signs, same as I would be with almost every other signing!

Indeed, I wouldn’t have picked him to be our right wide forward but his stats are good, he has a lot going for him and he might do very well.

We have to support any signing our club makes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rayk said:

I hate it when other people can’t form a view of a player we’re linked with or sign saying ‘we’ll have to wait and see him play in a Villa shirt’ but that’s exactly where I am with Traore.

I can see both sides of the argument. At £17.5m he could be a bit of a bargain given that Just over a year ago he was rumoured to be going to Liverpool, only for Lyon to be asking £40m for him.

The one thing that is absolutely clear is even if he is predictable with only a left peg, he is very quick, experienced, aggressive and does have goals in his locker. Also he’s lived and played in the UK before. All that is exactly what we need. If we were signing Ismaili Sarr from Watford the blog would be in a bigger meltdown than it is over Rashica.......but Sarr and Bertrand are very similar types of players imo.

So I’m all for the signing. He’s been at Lyon for three years, had two great seasons (when he was worth £40m) only for Rudi Garcia to come in last summer and not rate him. That happens all the time in football so, as I say, £17.5m could well be a bargain.

If money were no object I would have Sarr as our get table wide forward for the right side.

At the end of the day we don’t get to pick the players we try and sign, at least he is the right type of wide forward we need unlike the rumours for Josh King!

Â