Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, rayk said:

All I’m saying is that it’s crazy how a blog can go wild for one but goes cold against the other when Bertrand’s record edges that of Rashica.

As a Lyon fan, I've seen Traore play and followed his career.  I know nothing about Rashica.  

Jonathan Johnson who covers French Football for a living and is a Villa fan is also very skeptical about the signing. You can read his detailed thoughts here: https://underagaslitlamp.com/2020/09/14/the-aston-villa-transfer-enigma-in-bertrand-traore/

Anyway, once he puts on the Villa shirt, I will totally root for his success.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rayk said:

The thing I’d like to point out is this. We are collectively creaming ourselves over signing Rashica but have doubts over Bertrand.

I find It a bit strange given that....

Bertrand came through the Chelsea Academy (scouted at like 14/15) whereas Rashica just went through his local team in Kosova.

Both end up playing a lot of games in the Eredivisie.

Bertrand plays 66 games and scores 25 goals, Rashica plays 83 games and scores just 13 goals.

Both leave the Eredivisie, Bertrand for Ligue 1, Rashica for the Bundesliga.

Bertrand has played 87 games and scored 21 goals, Rashica has played 63 games and scored 18 goals.

Yes you’d think that gives Rashica the edge but Bertrand played for CL semi finalists, Rashica Played for a relegation threatened club in the Bundesliga, which means that Bertrand had players like Memphis Depay and Moussa Dembele as competition.....whereas Rashica had......erm....who to worry about.

All I’m saying is that it’s crazy how a blog can go wild for one but goes cold against the other when Bertrand’s record edges that of Rashica.

At the same time, a young Rashica is playing for Vitesse in the Dutch league whilst Traore is playing for Ajax. Rashica in the same Ajax team would probably have far more chances of goals and assists. 

Many would argue that the German league is stronger than the French given a lot of their better players stay in their league, same as here. 

I get where you're coming from but you can also flip it back the other way if you wanted. 

Personally, both of them seem like they could be strokes of genius if they can hit their top form.

7 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

As a Lyon fan, I've seen Traore play and followed his career.  I know nothing about Rashica.  

Jonathan Johnson who is covers French Football for a living and Villa fan is also very skeptical about the signing. You can read his detailed thoughts here: https://underagaslitlamp.com/2020/09/14/the-aston-villa-transfer-enigma-in-bertrand-traore/

Good article. Thanks for that.

Last season he played higher up the pitch and was asked to deal with long balls rather than the short passes he normally did. His finishing was apparently very poor last season but I suspect a lot do that was due to his new role and his inability to get settled into games without feeling good about some good passing maneuvers. I think we need to use both wings much better next season to really do well as I think if we just play down the left like we did last season it really cripples our other wingers effectiveness and it would make sense to just drop them and play an additional midfielder and have jack and the winger switch sides to where they want to apply pressure. 

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

I no longer care if this lad is a bit inconsistent, as long as he's quick and direct I'm very much all for this

Agreed. I'm not looking for Willian, or some other flashy inside/outside forward. I want somebody to strike the fear of McGrath into a full back as he's barrelling towards them.

We very much missed that dynamic last season. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

We're gonna have some proper obscure (for football) nationalities in our squad by the time the window is over.

Zimababwe (Nakamba)

Tanzania (Samatta)

Burkina Faso (Traore)

Kosovo (Rashica)

Edited by Mantis

6 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Jonathan Johnson who covers French Football for a living and is a Villa fan is also very skeptical about the signing. You can read his detailed thoughts here: https://underagaslitlamp.com/2020/09/14/the-aston-villa-transfer-enigma-in-bertrand-traore/

Anyway, once he puts on the Villa shirt, I will totally root for his success.

Thanks for that, after reading it I really wouldn't be bothered if this fell through.

Beginning to think some fans just want us to make a signing ANY signing!

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

We're gonna have some proper obscure (for football) nationalities in our squad by the time the window is over.

Zimababwe (Nakamba)

Tanzania (Samatta)

Burkina Faso (Traore)

Kosovo (Rashica)

All seem new to the football world which is great. But I like the diversity in the squad:

Ireland (Hourihane)

Egypt (Trez)

Netherlands (El Ghazi)

France (Guilbert)

Wales (Taylor)

Scotland (McGinn)

Belgium (Engels)

Argentina (Martinez)

Brazil (Luiz)

Norway (Nyland)

Croatia (Kalinic)

Spain (Jota)

27 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Thanks for that, after reading it I really wouldn't be bothered if this fell through.

Beginning to think some fans just want us to make a signing ANY signing!

I've come to this conclusion too.  Another reason I don't like this signing is that at the premium price we are reportedly paying for Traore, there are a lot better prospects with similar attributes we could have gone for. We'll just have to wait and see if Lange's algorithms see something we don't.  

This guy may be inconsistent like most wingers but his top form is much better than the top form of our current wingers. He is also much faster. The opposition have to take that threat seriously, even in a bad day. That pushes defences back, draws defenders and creates the space to play. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â