Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Ahhhhh, this is why I made sure to say could be and hopefully. You know, just incase someone disagreed or thought I was talking complete bollox, always leave an out.

rest assured.......you don't.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree with your argument somewhat.  I think you are crossing two themes, one which I agree with and one that I dont.

I think we were hugely successful in the last transfer market.  We couldnt have brought better than Emi and Cash to really solidify our defence.  Emi at times feels unbeatable and that along with working with the defence and that overall character has really given confidence to our defence.  Watkins has been brilliant, a character that is not luxury, who works his socks off and is always an outlet.

Now Barkley started well but faded very quickly so fair on that one but that looked a really good deal and i think most were impressed with that deal....a loan and started so well.  It's so hard to understand why it fell off a cliff.  Traore is the only one that I was dubious about because of the reputation before and he's had spells and he's been poor a lot.

It's incredibly hard to knock when three out of our four permanent players have been brilliant and are players that others look to in Emi, Cash and Ollie.  Our problem is creativity end of the pitch and yes we dont have, other than Jack, somebody to pull us out of a pinch.  It's also that players can lift us up our of adversity but because they cant create or score we dont win.  I think a lot of teams seem to be short of the type of players that I am used to watch in the 80's and 90's that coudl in a bad match, grab the match by the scruff of the neck and try and turn it around.  You just dont see that type of player very often these days, Liverpool have suffered with it, Chelsea and many others.

I also dont think we have that many luxury players. Not our defence, our central midfield are all just players that are essentially the same, that do a job but are neither brilliant or crap.  Jack is the star and Ollie is the striker.  Then two positions, the RW which has the luxury player in and then CAM which either has one of the jobby midfielders in or previously until dropped a "luxury" player in Barkley but now he's dropped we really only have RW with Traore. 

My issue is that we just dont have enough quality.  I believe the likes of McGinn do have that character and the ability to lift a team in adversity just not at the level we are playing these days.  We are at such a higher level now that you need more quality so I think to your point it's not that we have luxury player it's that some of our players arent able to do what you are asking them to do.  When we are playing well they are great but when we arent, they cant do it on their own because they arent quality enough.  I think that's why when we go in front we can stay in front but when we go behind we cant come back.  Part psychological but a massive part that we dont have the quality.  So re your last sentence I think it's the quality we have or lack of it rather than the luxury side, although having upgrades on barkley and Traore would make a huge difference.

You might be surprised Nick, but I agree with most of that.

I agree with you totally about Quality......but that quality has to relate to attributes.....for instance Jack is quality, so is Declan Rice...but their attributes are different.....Their qualities relate to different things in a game.

I honestly believe if we had a midfielder, who could dictate the tempo from midfield and dominate the ball, win the ball and set us up for sorties....a top class midfield General......I believe we would raise the bar significantly.

A young Paul McGrath in midfield at the bottom of a diamond.....thats what I will continue to hope for.

If you listen to the "Paul McGrath story on  you tube....its very interesting....Jackie C saying he could play Paul in any position, despite CB being his popular best.....He explained how he used him as a CDM as opposed to a sweeper, which was popular at one time....said the other CB's Moran & McCarthy loved him playing there as it give them more time....He said Paul had everything.....I do happen to agree with him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

rest assured.......you don't.

Oh but I do, frequently and I'm proud of it, life's to short to worry about wether you are inch perfect or not whilst talking about a game.

Always happy to concede to a better argument and learn from it................... then talk bollox about something else.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Oh but I do, frequently and I'm proud of it, life's to short to worry about wether you are inch perfect or not whilst talking about a game.

Always happy to concede to a better argument and learn from it................... then talk bollox about something else.

Topman.....my sentiment too.

• Thanks 1

Excellent game today and probably the only one who was trying to create. He is a bit lightweight and gets knocked off the ball a fair bit but shows his importance to us especially with Jack missing. 

Edited by birdman

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He blew hot and cold until the incident where he thought he was fouled and threw the ball. It After that he became a different player and played with a real swagger. We need to see the Traore of the last 20 minutes more often.

Yes I think his chin dropped a bit out of frustration with the way we were playing. He wants the ball and he wants the pass and move but our movement and passing was awful up until the subs. 

Had some good deliveries into the box and switches of play to Targett (the ball to Trez for the 50p head header especially) but the shimmy through two players for the assist was **** sublime.

Dribbling the ball past defenders and creating goals is exactly what I want to watch and with Grealish out he's the only one who can do it. A joy to watch.

• Like 1

That sort of player, will frustrate, but loads of ability in small bursts. It's consistency what make the greats, greats, and he'll never have that, but that's ok too, always looks like he can create something and looks like he'll contribute to 10/15 goals a season.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Second-half Traore caused them loads of problems and they were doubling-up on him.

In the absence of Grealish he is the one who can make something out of nothing.

Needs to cut the cross-field passes out.

Needs to go on the outside more often.

• Like 1

A nice assist today.  Flitted in and out of the game. The team as a whole (including him) were absolutely toothless until Trez' double. 0 shots on target until Trez scored. His assist cam when Fulham opened up and were shell-shocked to find themselves losing a game they had been comfortable in for 70 minutes.

Talented player who needs to find a way to be a consistent threat. Not sure he has smarts though.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought he was largely rubbish again today tbh. 

Needs to be replaced in the Summer. 

I think he is a squad improvement/Impact player/ Ace in the sleeve, more than a starter.

I like him, but more suited to playing when the team is in control, not necessarily for the "Battle"

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he is a squad improvement/Impact player/ Ace in the sleeve, more than a starter.

I like him, but more suited to playing when the team is in control, not necessarily for the "Battle"

Maybe you’re right. Just not my cup of tea at all mate tbh. 

Â