Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Just now, Davkaus said:

Got to be worth an appeal for that shoot out yellow when there's a bloody good argument he's trying to get a ball to get things moving, he does nothing wrong there.

Thought you can only challenge red cards

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Thought you can only challenge red cards

My understanding is that the lack of appeal for yellow cards is a Premier League rule, and that it is possible in UEFA competitions.

e.g. this article from 2021: https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2021/02/25/6037aa26ca4741e71b8b45e7.html

Real Madrid are trying to decide whether to appeal to UEFA against the yellow card Casemiro received during their 1-0 win away at Atalanta on Wednesday night.

And this one from 2018: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/02/22/uefa-reject-psg-appeal-against-rabiot-yellow-card-during-ucl-defeat-real-madrid

UEFA have dismissed Paris Saint-Germain's appeal against Adrien Rabiot's caution in the 3-1 Champions League defeat to Real Madrid.

Perhaps it's changed in recent years, but as far as I can tell we have the option in UEFA competitions. I can't find anything concrete on the UEFA site though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Got to be worth an appeal for that shoot out yellow when there's a bloody good argument he's trying to get a ball to get things moving, he does nothing wrong there.

Pointless. He still got booked in the first half 😂

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He was booked in the first leg and again (twice) in the 2nd. It’s the same as McGinn and Cash etc that were on yellows, they didn’t get booked tonight so theirs is wiped, Emi did so he’s suspended.

I think it's different to McGinn and Cash -- Emi wasn't mentioned by the commentators as amongst the players who needed to avoid a booking (I'm fairly sure), and they certainly didn't mention that he was now suspended when he got his yellow card in the first half. McGinn, Cash and the others were facing suspensions because they had accumulated multiple yellows, I assumed??

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Pointless. He still got booked in the first half 😂

Wouldn't be pointless would it, he's banned because of the 3 bookings, not just 2?

3 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I think it's different to McGinn and Cash -- Emi wasn't mentioned by the commentators as amongst the players who needed to avoid a booking (I'm fairly sure), and they certainly didn't mention that he was now suspended when he got his yellow card in the first half. McGinn, Cash and the others were facing suspensions because they had accumulated multiple yellows, I assumed??

It is three bookings in the last 16/last 8 games combined for a suspension I think. The ones mentioned were already on two before the game, but Emi was only on one (from the first leg). The two tonight  took him over the limit.

Watching back the replay two things seem to happen  

one Emi is clearly asking for a ball , as there wasn’t one on the field of play at the time , an appeal would succeed on that basis I should think , he wasn’t booked for the sush motion to the crowd so I don’t think they can factor that into the decision 

the other thing is the ref makes a motion like they often do after Var to suggest that he has nulled the yellow card … has the second yellow definitely been confirmed ? 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Anybody have a sense of whether there's any chance of successfully appealing either of the yellow cards from tonight? To me, it seems like there were some pretty obvious mitigating circumstances that ought to be taken into account. He was being physically threatened, for one.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

First yellow was load of Bullsh*t, why would he want to time waste when the score is a draw on agg 

He knows we will always win on pens with him playing ;)

Â