Emiliano Martínez

hippo

I wouldn't worry about him leaving. Its not as if the big teams in the world hadn't heard of him before. They are fully aware. The only thing that has changed is his profile. 

If anything, his post game 'antics' are more likely to put some clubs off! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How can any Villa fan not love Martinez?  He’s not the best in the world or anything crazy like that but who gives a ****. He’s ours and he is going nowhere. Just enjoy him you miserable gits. 

If he isn't the best, he's really up there with the best. Before him, Messi's Argentina couldn't win anything.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

If he isn't the best, he's really up there with the best. Before him, Messi's Argentina couldn't win anything.

He may well be but my point whether we think he is world class or not is irrelevant. He’s our goalie and I for one wouldn’t want anyone else.  I love his attitude. I love his love for the club. I love him! 

edit: He’s goalkeeping isn’t too shabby either :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Looks like Emery is going to give him some days off first.

“He’s coming back next week. I want him to rest now because after big emotion and hard work, he has to have some days off to rest then he’ll come back to work with us.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/23/aston-villas-unai-emery-will-speak-to-emi-martinez-about-celebrations

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom13 said:

My overall point is that because he's getting some attention, Villa fans are panicking about him leaving and in the process overestimating his value to us. He's a good keeper, he's not world class. As a few have said, he's been average for us this season, even poor on some of the goals he's conceded.

He should have saved at least one of the Saudi goals, and no right to get to the Mbappe one? It wasn't in the corner.

Some Villa supporters, @Tom13. I get what you're saying, but being the keeper for a world cup winner pretty much defines world class, doesn't it? I mean, what else does one need to accomplish? He's world class, but there are probably ten or so other world class keepers as good. Still, they're not at Villa, so I'm a little extra crazy for him. 

It's entirely possible to 1) love Emi to death and simultaneously think 2) he's kind of a weird shithead sometimes 3) he's not the greatest but he's our greatest right now  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Some Villa supporters, @Tom13. I get what you're saying, but being the keeper for a world cup winner pretty much defines world class, doesn't it? I mean, what else does one need to accomplish? He's world class, but there are probably ten or so other world class keepers as good. Still, they're not at Villa, so I'm a little extra crazy for him. 

It's entirely possible to 1) love Emi to death and simultaneously think 2) he's kind of a weird shithead sometimes 3) he's not the greatest but he's our greatest right now  

Pretty much need a world class keeper to win the WC

2018: Lloris

2014: Neuer

2010: Casillas

2006: Buffon

2002: Marcos

1998: Barthez

1994: Taffarel

1990: Illgner

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MaVilla said:

just....just.....this save just has to be one of the single most important saves ever in a game of football.

• 3-3 in the world cup final.
  • 123 minutes gone.
  • no more than 60 seconds left of the game.
  • Your nation hasnt won a World Cup for nearly 40 years.
  • Messi's last World Cup, and able to put the Maradonna hoodoo to bed with Emi's help.
  • Emi living his literal dream, and going from reserve Arsenal keeper, to Copa America and World Champions within 18 months - 2 years.
  • Emi makes "that" save.

What an amazing story, its like a film script.

I honestly cant think of a more important/brilliant save in context (yes ofc - more "good saves" out there, but not in this context)

Yeah but this doesn't make him elite or world class he's only a good keeper 😜

PS I totally agree.

6 hours ago, a-k said:

Pretty much need a world class keeper to win the WC

2018: Lloris

2014: Neuer

2010: Casillas

2006: Buffon

2002: Marcos

1998: Barthez

1994: Taffarel

1990: Illgner

Only Neuer, Casillas and Buffon were really world class from that list... maybe Illgner. The rest are / were decent keepers, but not nailed on for a spot at a global elite club.

I love Emi, but I think his strengths really come through in high pressure tournament situations, especially when penalties are involved.

In a normal league season there are plenty of keepers who probably rank above him - Ederson, Alisson, Courtois, Neuer, Oblak, Ter Stegen, Donnarumma, etc.

He’s a great personality and will certainly be of interest to Champions League sides, but I don’t think any elite manager who has a strong preference for a sweeper keeper is coming in for him, so that already rules out most of the moves being speculated.

We probably have a decent chance of hanging on to him, unless somewhere like Real Madrid or Barcelona offers big money. He’s only 30, which is young for a keeper, so he can easily wait a couple of years before making a big move.

Edit: also World Cups are massively biased towards players from Brazil / Argentina / France / Italy / Germany / Spain. Some of the greatest goalkeepers have come from countries like Denmark or Czechia. World Cups are a bad time to rank players at club level for this reason. Ultimately the best striker in the world right now didn’t even play in the World Cup. Basing your transfer policy on international tournaments is usually a mistake.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

What do we make of Emery’s comments about his celebration antics in his press conference yesterday?

Been discussed in the Emery thread - journos misquoting him to create a story. Not at all clear that Emery is bothered by it in the slightest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

What do we make of Emery’s comments about his celebration antics in his press conference yesterday?

Spot on. Praised his performances, expressed pride, said he would have a chat about controlling his emotions when he’s back with us then went back to praising him.

Theres been a lot of backlash against Emi, Emery acknowledged it but didn’t hang him out to dry.

• Like 1

Â