Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Tom Heaton pretty dismayed by this signing according to reports (Mail). Understandable, as this puts him firmly in the #2 position. That's football though.

Everyone has to fight for their place. 

Martinez will give us at least 4-5 additional points over the  course of the first 10 matches compared to Nyland

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the clubs point of view though we can’t put all our eggs in one basket, Heaton might be back in 6 weeks, but he might take 10-12 to be back to his best... time is a luxury we don’t have. We can’t rely on the other keepers so we’ve got to do it

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Tom Heaton pretty dismayed by this signing according to reports (Mail). Understandable, as this puts him firmly in the #2 position. That's football though.

Personally I think a fit Heaton is better than Martinez so I expect Heaton to get his place back pretty quickly assuming full recovery. 

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

From the clubs point of view though we can’t put all our eggs in one basket, Heaton might be back in 6 weeks, but he might take 10-12 to be back to his best... time is a luxury we don’t have. We can’t rely on the other keepers so we’ve got to do it

Also, for however much I love heaton, we can't be sure with his injury record that he won't pick up something else that will keep him out for another 6 months.

Would prefer 2 number 1s than one who is injury prone.

• Like 1

I wasn't blown away by Heaton. I also recall he was rather low on numerous metrics used to rank keepers, save % etc.

Not overly convinced by Martinez but Arsenal improved with him between the sticks and je seems highly rated by Arsenal fans.

£20m for a player with 15 Premier League appearances? 

We really do love having our pants pulled down and bent over the kitchen table this window.

happy kenneth williams GIF

Edited by jim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Taken aback?  Was this Heatons reaction? 

shocked zjef GIF by VTM.be

seriously how does a journalist have any idea of Heaton’s thoughts on the signing?

The Mail 'understands' this was the reaction.... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-live-rashica-18922824

To be fair, sports journalists in and around the club, with contacts etc.. It's their job to 'understand' such things, surely.

20 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

8-C5-D9-B11-629-E-476-B-B358-E014-BC0360

Not looking like a man having a medical or about to be announced 

It often amazes me how footballers the same age as or younger than me tend to look 5, 10 or 20 years older than they are.

I don't know whether to count that as a blessing or not. I refuse to believe, for example, that Thomas Müller isn't 50 but maybe I'm just exceptionally baby-faced for a 30 year old.

12 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

The Mail 'understands' this was the reaction.... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-live-rashica-18922824

To be fair, sports journalists in and around the club, with contacts etc.. It's their job to 'understand' such things, surely.

Hmmm I guess. But ‘understands’ translates to made up to me.

Â