Emiliano Martínez

hippo

28 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Will he take the now vacant number 1 shirt, or keep his number 26? I think he will keep his 26!

Never been #1 in his career in terms of status in the squad. He'll take #1 at Villa in an instant.

• Like 1

Would have liked the trophy to be a little bit more prestigious and dare I say, larger.

Congrats to our best keeper since possibly bosnich. Friedel was consistent with a great back 4 at the time for a season and a half then good for the rest of his time.

Emi at the age and mentality he has, has another 6 years at the top, he looks like he could struggle to keep the weight down when he is older, if he keeps that in check then possibly a further couple years on top.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Emi at the age and mentality he has, has another 6 years at the top, he looks like he could struggle to keep the weight down when he is older, if he keeps that in check then possibly a further couple years on top.

Lol, he’s from South America not the South Pacific! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

I kinda hope he reads this thread now.

It's endless pages of people calling him amazing, which is probably great for the ego. Then there's some random guy calling him a fat bastard for no reason - bet he'd be well annoyed! 🤣

Your the only one mentioning " a fat bastard" .

Bosnich wasn't but couldn't keep the weight down, neville Southall wasn't but couldn't keep the weight down. Emi looking at his build, is not naturally lean, unlike most modern keepers. all it means is he will have to keep an eye on his fitness a little more once he gets to 33 or 34 as it becomes harder to stay at the top.

8 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Out of interest what is it about him that makes you say that?

Not me that said it but I think this photo isn’t the most flattering. I think it is just the kit and the camera angles. I’m sure he keeps himself in great shape. 

Anyway, back to his goalkeeping skills...

0BDA6051-EA65-4273-ACB1-124D10503424.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Goalies can carry a bit of body fat. Never hurt Neville Southall.

Personally I'd say it's beneficial. Extra fat is a huge deal in avoiding injuries. I've tried both bodies and it really is a massive massive difference.

Goalies also can be exposed when picking down balls, so having some extra kgs can do wonders.

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Your the only one mentioning " a fat bastard" .

Bosnich wasn't but couldn't keep the weight down, neville Southall wasn't but couldn't keep the weight down. Emi looking at his build, is not naturally lean, unlike most modern keepers. all it means is he will have to keep an eye on his fitness a little more once he gets to 33 or 34 as it becomes harder to stay at the top.

Then there was this lad that admitted to liking a few fry up's...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBcTFt-FcMv5xpDzghzjq

3 hours ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Out of interest what is it about him that makes you say that?

What makes me say that I think once he gets to 34 he will need to keep a close eye on his weight to continue playing at the top ? 

His body shape. He is in good shape now, however people's bodies are different, some are lean, some build muscle with little work, some are having to double the work rate to stay in shape.

He isn't naturally lean, thats obvious, and the older everyone gets, muscle loss comes into play and keeping in shape becomes harder. You need to be stricter with your diet and training than you could have in your twenties but as you age, it needs to be almost perfect if you want to continue at the top past the age of 32-34 and continue putting in the same level of performance.

The over reactions and making up I've said things from some people is embarrassing.

Edited by brummybloke

3 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

What makes me say that I think once he gets to 34 he will need to keep a close eye on his weight to continue playing at the top ? 

His body shape. He is in good shape now, however people's bodies are different, some are lean, some build muscle with little work, some are having to double the work rate to stay in shape.

He isn't naturally lean, thats obvious, and the older everyone gets, muscle loss comes into play and keeping in shape becomes harder. You need to be stricter with your diet and training than you could have in your twenties but as you age, it needs to be almost perfect if you want to continue at the top past the age of 32-34 and continue putting in the same level of performance.

The over reactions and making up I've said things from some people is embarrassing.

He's a goalkeeper, not a competitive bodybuilder. I don't doubt that having an incredible physique may be beneficial for a lot of athletes but I also feel that its not that important for a goalkeeper. Things like reflexes, reach and just goalkeeping skill is probably not gonna be improved with more muscle mass. Plenty other things matter more and as long as his body doesn't completely degenerate for some reason, I think he should be fine.

Â