Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

As much as I love Emi, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if he left.

We'd (probably) get a world record fee for a goalkeeper for him, or at least in that ballpark. If we invested a good chunk of that in a proper replacement then we'd find ourselves in a good place.

I think this is where I am, and it makes sense on paper, but when did we last let go one of our best players, reinvest the money, and look a better side for it?

• Like 1

I think the main issue with selling him this summer is we need a big overthrow of the squad as it is and if we then need to replace one of the few world class players we have it becomes even more of a clusterf*ck. 

We probably need two new full backs, one new CB, two attacking midfielders and a striker, preferably all to go into the first 11, which is basically six new players of a high enough quality to improve on the players we have. If we then add a new GK to that list it becomes even harder.

FWIW I don't think we'll get six new first team players in one summer unless we really go for it and spend £200m+ in one window which never happens at Villa, and would be more likely to see three first team players instead, but having to replace Martinez in addition just means another backward step for where we want to get to and makes an already busy summer window even busier. 

We probably need to hang on to him for at least one more season, if not two, if we can to be able to deal with selling him better. Too many things to put right currently. 

I'm not sure we will end up selling him in the summer as the big European teams pretty much have their GK department covered. Bayern may need to replace Neuer in the next year or two but won't be in any rush. De Gea has come in for criticism in the past but is only 32 and I think has recaptured some of his old form. Everyone else has an established top level GK in their prime. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As much as I love Emi, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if he left.

We'd (probably) get a world record fee for a goalkeeper for him, or at least in that ballpark. If we invested a good chunk of that in a proper replacement then we'd find ourselves in a good place.

Unai Simon would be my choice.

I think Emi's big problem is there won't be many, if any, clubs at the level who could afford his fee who will be looking for goalkeepers. Man Utd maybe? Other than that everyone is pretty sorted for first choice keepers

Simon is a very very good keeper. We were linked (fleetingly) with Bono and he’s imo better at sweeping up than Emi. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I think this is where I am, and it makes sense on paper, but when did we last let go one of our best players, reinvest the money, and look a better side for it?

We’re not very good at it. But hopefully goalkeeper is a position where it’s easier for the club to see the need to reinvest a lot for a replacement. 

Selling superstars and spreading the money over several positions rarely works. If we sold Emi for 70 I’d want us to spend big on a replacement 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Even if we sell emi for 60 or 70 million I have zero faith in the club finding an adequate replacement. We all saw what they did with the grealish money.

I think Emery would have an idea on who to bring in.

My hope is that we can convince him to stay on for one more year, and we have a really good year, and then maybe he stays longer.

I'm sure his mates in the Argentina team have been telling him that he should go to a CL club. And like Grealish, he probably realizes that he has a window to do it that will close eventually. One advantage with being a GK is that you can play at a high level longer, so that window is longer. We need to sell him on that fact.

Love him, but he is at point where he needs to test himself at a higher level, he should 100% leave this summer and hopefully we get a good fee for him too.

He turns 31 in September and I am sure he wants to have at least 5 years of Champions League and title winning football.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Simon is a very very good keeper. We were linked (fleetingly) with Bono and he’s imo better at sweeping up than Emi. 

Famously difficult to get players out of Athletic Club isn't it...the Basque loyalty seems to run very deep. It would probably take a huge sum of money, definitely our new transfer record. Can't help but be concerned after how Kepa has done at Chelsea too, big risk. I like what I've seen of Bono and on the world cup theme I liked the look of Livakovic as well. 

• Like 1

Emi is too good for where we are now or where we will be in the next few years. It would be nice to keep him, but I think we can still achieve our short and medium term objectives with a lesser keeper. Makes sense for everyone if we can get a good fee in the summer but, like I have posted before, which big European club needs a new keeper right now?! 

On 12/02/2023 at 15:43, AVFCGB said:

Another one who thinks he’s too big for the Club!  I’m sick to the back teeth of the likes of Martinez who think they are above us!  Let him join his mate at PSG.  How many Champions Leagues have the won Emi?  Get rid at the best price possible!!!

I'm not a betting man, but I'd hazard a guess that he has a much better chance of winning the competition with the team that's in the latter stages of it every season than with the team that hasn't been in the competition since *checks notes*, a decade before he was born.

• Like 3

On 13/02/2023 at 01:26, AVFCGB said:

That’s not my point.  He wins the Copa and World Cup and now he’s too big for us?  

Erm... Yeah, clearly. He's literally won the two biggest competitions he's able to win for his country. He has little chance of winning anything comparable with us at this moment, so he is better than where we are now.

• Like 1

I wouldn't sell him.

It took us forever to find a competent, stable, injury-free goalkeeper.

Last one we had was Friedel more than a decade ago, before that Bosnich.

It might look like there are plenty of quality goalkeepers out there but you really don't know how they'll do for Villa until they put the shirt on and get behind our **** leaky-ass defence.

Emi in this regard has been revelatory. He doesn't mind the pressure, he feeds off it, and though he's not perfect, he's about as close as we've ever been.

Anyone thinking that we would be alright without him, get your head checked. We'll struggle to find another like him for another 10+ years, guaranteed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I wouldn't sell him.

It took us forever to find a competent, stable, injury-free goalkeeper.

Last one we had was Friedel more than a decade ago, before that Bosnich.

It might look like there are plenty of quality goalkeepers out there but you really don't know how they'll do for Villa until they put the shirt on and get behind our **** leaky-ass defence.

Emi in this regard has been revelatory. He doesn't mind the pressure, he feeds off it, and though he's not perfect, he's about as close as we've ever been.

Anyone thinking that we would be alright without him, get your head checked. We'll struggle to find another like him for another 10+ years, guaranteed.

Agreed.  Emi is the only player in our squad I don't want to sell, but I would if a world record transfer fee was offered and he really wanted to leave.  It's criminal to see so many of our own fans writing him off lately because he is one of the top 5 goalkeepers in the world right now.

If Emery wants a player who is better at playing out from the back and can find him this summer. Then if we get the right price for Martinez it might make sense to make those deals happen if it gives us the added funds to invest in other areas of the squad too.

I wouldn’t be all that concerned about selling Emi for big money IF…

1. Our history with signing goalkeepers wasn’t so poor.

2. We hadn’t wasted the Grealish money like we did. 

I love Martinez. His command of the box, his athleticism and his ability to read situations is second to maybe only one or two other goalkeepers in the world. He truly is world class. BUT. He isn’t all that great at passing out from the back. Not poor by any means. Probably above average even, but a new keeper could benefit us if we continue playing like we are in that regard. 

Like I say though, I have grave reservations about how Lange and Purslow will spend the money given I think they’re quite poor in the transfer market. Time will tell. For what it’s worth, I do think he’ll leave this Summer so probably best to prepare yourselves!

Edited by Delphinho123

Â