Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

Don’t get why some are worried he’ll leave, didn’t he sign a new 5 year deal last season, if he was to leave it’ll be for mega money

I honestly believe he will leave - he wasn’t a World Cup winner back then. His agent will have plenty of offers to put to him imo ☹️

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I honestly believe he will leave - he wasn’t a World Cup winner back then. His agent will have plenty of offers to put to him imo ☹️

He was a Copa America winner and starting keeper for the World Cup favourites and was still Messi hero

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was a Copa America winner and starting keeper for the World Cup favourites and was still Messi hero

I’m afraid the World Cup has just catapulted him to another level.

I hope you are correct and I am totally wide of the mark 

38 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

If he does go for silly money, get livakovic in from Zagreb

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Completely different scenarios and you know it. The clause was added to to stop him fobbing off the club further after trying to join United on the cheap that summer. 

And we’re certain Martinez has no such clause? Or won’t have one inserted in the inevitable contract negotiations?

On 20/12/2022 at 04:33, Adam2003 said:

This is a weird take to me when we have such a terrible, terrible record signing goalkeepers. Let’s not forget the Nyland-Kalinic-Reina-etc-etc run that we had before this! I get your point on him leaving but my biggest concern is it’s such a hard position to replace, you just avoid messing with it if you possibly can.

I think because Emery has such a distinct style of play, and we now have owners who are not **** around, I'm confident we can find a suitable replacement who in some areas may actually be an improvement (passing/distribution).

On 20/12/2022 at 07:21, M_Afro said:

I’m sorry but he is not easily replaceable at all. He’s the best keeper we have had since Bosnich. That was probably about 25 years ago. Since then we have spent an absolute fortune on sub-standard keepers. Non of which are in the same class as Emi.

No keeper of equal standing to Emi would touch us with a barge pole. We have a top player who loves the club and has a massive profile. Why on earth would we want to lose that? Keep the guy and make him captain.
Aston Villa had become a breeding ground for players who don’t really care. We are slowly changing that culture and keeping actual winners around is critical to achieve that. We must keep Emi. It’s essential for our future.

I'm not saying we should sell him. Far from it. But if we do I don't think its comparable to situations like when Grealish, Benteke, Milner, etc. left. It'll be very, very difficult but he is replaceable and we have the funds and intention to do just that.

On 20/12/2022 at 08:00, tomav84 said:

care to throw some names out of whom we could realistically replace him with who are as good or better?

The only thing I know for sure is that Martinez has his flaws and his weaknesses, some of which are exacerbated by our new style of play. Will we find a shotstopper as good as him? Unlikely, and it'll hurt, but that's not to say we can't find a replacement who has better distribution as one example. Unfortunately I don't want to spend time researching different goalkeepers to score internet points but I'm confident we can replace Martinez with a little luck.

Either way I hope he stays!

Edited by AV82

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

If Emi is sold, with or without you mate I think we should get in Bono. Sure would make it a beautiful day at VP, would be a magnificent signing and wouldn't surprise me as we know Lange works in Mysterious Ways. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

If Emi is sold, with or without you mate I think we should get in Bono. Sure would make it a beautiful day at VP, would be a magnificent signing and wouldn't surprise me as we know Lange works in Mysterious Ways. 

I know it may sound like a controversial opinion, but some would say that selling Emi and replacing him with Bono would actually be an elevation for the club…

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Catapulted him to another 50 million on his price then.

His ability hasn't suddenly skyrocketed due to winning the World Cup.

Just his " star quality "

I wonder what his worth is now...

It has to be 50m plus but I wonder how much plus.

• Like 1

Â