Emiliano Martínez

hippo

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

150 mill and they can have him.

We can then sign Dirk Kuyt for 45 mill ( midfield and wide areas sorted )

Suarez on a free with a 35 mill signing on fee.

Didi Hamann 25 mill to come out of retirement.

Give the rest to Robbie Fowler.

Olsen can then take the reigns in goal.

Best transfer window ever!!!! 🔥🔥🔥

This is a very astute plan. 

Can I just question giving the rest of the money to Robbie Fowler? Surely he actually has to play some football for us or is that a charity called Robbie Fowler I don't know of?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

This is a very astute plan. 

Can I just question giving the rest of the money to Robbie Fowler? Surely he actually has to play some football for us or is that a charity called Robbie Fowler I don't know of?

Nah mate, that's to get the money back.

Fowler is a beast in these Real Estate market streets now 😂

13 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

He's certainly not a problem this season but I do miss his constant heroics from last year.

That’s my problem with him. He’s not doing anything wrong as such but he’s built up god like status amongst the fan base by just how amazing he was last season, making numerous outstanding saves within the same matches, earning us draws and wins when we were on the ropes. This season, he’s made a few good saves as you would expect any prem keeper to do but he’s been very average.

If this had been his first season with us, nobody would be saying we robbed Arsenal. Let’s hope this season is the one off, not last season. 

• Like 1

I know I'll be in the minority and probably get pelters, but really don't get the hype with Martinez.  I think he's great at coming for crosses (from general play, not so much from set-pieces), does some great reflex saves occasionally  but seems to be quite poor at times with shot-stopping, especially getting down to low ones.  I honestly think someone like Nyland, who despite his shortcomings elsewhere was a very decent shot-stopper,   would have saved quite a few that Martinez has let in.  I'd jump at 50m for him if we could get it as long as we replaced him with someone decent, and I'm not kidding.     

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I know I'll be in the minority and probably get pelters, but really don't get the hype with Martinez.  I think he's great at coming for crosses (from general play, not so much from set-pieces), does some great reflex saves occasionally  but seems to be quite poor at times with shot-stopping, especially getting down to low ones.  I honestly think someone like Nyland, who despite his shortcomings elsewhere was a very decent shot-stopper,   would have saved quite a few that Martinez has let in.  I'd jump at 50m for him if we could get it as long as we replaced him with someone decent, and I'm not kidding.     

i understand some of your points with regard to low/wide shot stopping, but you go off the rails and down the ravine when you imply Nyland is even on the same planet as Martinez mate.

I also said i would prob accept 65m for him (hypothetically), but implying Nyland is even close to Martinez in terms of quality is pretty mad!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

I honestly think someone like Nyland, who despite his shortcomings elsewhere was a very decent shot-stopper, 

This was the problem with Nyland, his shortcomings were at the level of a 44 year old semi-drunk pub keeper. 

Emi is a world class goalkeeper because he is above average at every element of modern goalkeeping. Something that is extremely rare nowadays. 

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i understand some of your points with regard to low/wide shot stopping, but you go off the rails and down the ravine when you imply Nyland is even on the same planet as Martinez mate.

I also said i would prob accept 65m for him (hypothetically), but implying Nyland is even close to Martinez in terms of quality is pretty mad!

I don't think I've implied anything of the sort though.  What I've said, or tried to say,  is that Nyland , for example, and despite being rightly derided for many aspects of his all-round game, was nevertheless a decent shot stopper, who, in my opinion might have done better than Martinez has recently in one aspect of goalkeeping, getting down to low shots.  That's not the same as saying he's in the same league as Martinez at all, he clearly isn't.  The are hundreds of keepers around who are great shot stoppers - considered the very basics for a keeper - but don't have the all round game to be top level.    

21 hours ago, El Segundo said:

I actually think his kicking is his biggest weakness and why he wont go to a top club. He slices it too much for a throw in on his left

I think he has been affected by the poor defending, like the rest of the team.

but if we think, he is a problem.....we really have reached a new low.

He has been instrumental in the past of hanging on to the wins we have got....but yes, right now, not at his best, like the rest of the playing staff.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Martinez is built differently from many top keepers which is probably both good and bad. He is heavier than most keepers which could make it harder for him in some situations, like quickly coming down low. But more leg muscle gives more power when taking off for a dive, at penalties for example.

Good in the air imo but not that great with his feet. Most of all, brilliant character of course.

He’s the best keeper we’ve had since Bosnich. He is truly world class. We won’t be able to get better. We are lucky to have him. I honestly would sell anybody else ahead of Emi. He is so important for us and a top fella to boot.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Martinez is built differently from many top keepers which is probably both good and bad. He is heavier than most keepers which could make it harder for him in some situations, like quickly coming down low. But more leg muscle gives more power when taking off for a dive, at penalties for example.

Good in the air imo but not that great with his feet. Most of all, brilliant character of course.

I would have thought being heavier means he gets down quicker because of gravity and stuff.

image.gif.4453096f4a0aa40803334bb223aa1766.gif

Â