Emiliano Martínez

hippo

57 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Why do all English people say MARtinez instead of marTInez?   The accent is right there to tell you how to pronounce it.   They've always done it with Roberto also.

Because we don't have those accents in English, and don't know how they work, so we just hope that it isn't too important and pretend they aren't there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Why do all English people say MARtinez instead of marTInez?   The accent is right there to tell you how to pronounce it.   They've always done it with Roberto also.

This winds me up as well

I like this, thanks. In this regard, in case it ever comes up, you shouldn't pronounce the name TOLstoy, but rather, TolsTOY. Worth baring in mind the next time Tolstoy comes up in conversation, which I trust, being Villa fans, is a reasonable amount. 

• Like 1

Because Martin is a name in English so you read that first then add the ez.

We do not pronounce it Marteen.

If we started to try and sound Spanish or whatever country a player came from we would end up being like Steve McClaren when he managed in Holland!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Because we don't have those accents in English, and don't know how they work, so we just hope that it isn't too important and pretend they aren't there.

It’s nothing to do with accents though just simple pronunciation.

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Because Martin is a name in English so you read that first then add the ez.

We do not pronounce it Marteen.

If we started to try and sound Spanish or whatever country a player came from we would end up being like Steve McClaren when he managed in Holland!

I think there's a bit of a difference between  affected attempts to sound like a native Spanish speaker (e.g., rolling the r hard) and just putting the accent on the right syllable using sounds that are common in English.   It's not like there haven't been enough examples of the correct pronunciation available that people can't figure it out.

• Like 1

Interesting that Emi said about Gerrard:

He reminds me of Wenger, when Gerrard walks in you get that "wow" feeling, he has prescence, he has the respect of the players.

Interestingly, he also said the assistant coach does all the talking, takes nearly all the meetings, does all the training sessions, does all the tactics, he knows so much about football. (talking about Beale).

Also a very interesting observation, they were talking about younger players getting nervous as a game gets closer, and Emi said..."yeah, there was a player at Villa, who played amazing during covid...without the fans, but when the fans came back he wasnt as confident, hid from the ball and stuff, i said to him....stop hiding, get the ball and go forward".

Interesting, wonder who that was.

Emi M also said the south american group have a really close relationship, Emi, Emi 2, Coutinho and Luiz go bowling once a week etc.

Edited by MaVilla

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Also a very interesting observation, they were talking about younger players getting nervous as a game gets closer, and Emi said..."yeah, there was a player at Villa, who played amazing during covid...without the fans, but when the fans came back he wasnt as confident, hid from the ball and stuff, i said to him....stop hiding, get the ball and go forward".

Interesting, wonder who that was.

Well it has to be Jacob Ramsey. It's amazing how much we savage these players, no matter their age or even their genuine brilliance as a more senior pro. An appreciation of just how tough this league is seems beyond most fans.

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Well it has to be Jacob Ramsey. It's amazing how much we savage these players, no matter their age or even their genuine brilliance as a more senior pro. An appreciation of just how tough this league is seems beyond most fans.

I assumed it was Targett?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

If anything Ramsey has been better since fans have been back?

• Like 1

Â