The AVFC FFP thread

3 hours ago, jim said:

Why would Hourihane be worth any more now than when we bought him? He was the top goal scoring midfielder and had the most assists in the league when he came to us. 

Didn't we get him for a cut price in January because his contract was up at the end of last season? I'd say he's easily worth £4m right now, which is more than we paid.

Anyway, back on topic: FFP is bad.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I must be the only one that thinks if FFP were scrapped it wouldn't alter our level of spending much ? 

You really think it's a coincidence that we've spent (according to that report) just the right amount to get us just inside the threshold of what's acceptable to lose under FFP?

Is this based on anything other than a hunch, probably influenced by a reluctance to give Xia any credit?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You really think it's a coincidence that we've spent (according to that report) just the right amount to get us just inside the threshold of what's acceptable to lose under FFP?

Is this based on anything other than a hunch, probably influenced by a reluctance to give Xia any credit?

1.I wouldn't know the FFP statement is (from what I understand) different from the accounts the club publishes

2.I see very little evidence that XIA has billions to pump into Aston Villa. What we have seen is a typical new owner splurge - followed by belt tightening

3. Im not saying Xia is a bad owner, that luke organ guy seems to have some good ideas, the youth under 23 set up seems much improved, he has appointed Wyness as CEO, our most experienced CEO in many a year...and overall there seems a degree of stability about the place.

Is he the radical money laden owner to lead us to pastures new ? - I am not convinced - to be fair to Xia its one hell of an undertaking - but for me NO  I am not convinced.  ....and yes that probably is a hunch !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hippo said:

I must be the only one that thinks if FFP were scrapped it wouldn't alter our level of spending much ? 

I would recommend this site, FFP has been completely tightened, if you are found out you will lose your advantage - there simply is no more cheating it:

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/financial-fair-play-explained.php

But what are the potential punishments? Previously the Football League has only been able to either; fine promoted clubs (a fine the Premier League didn’t help them collect), or impose a transfer embargo for historic overspending (which always like a stable-door/horse scenario). With this change, a wide range of punishments are now available. Nothing is off the table; the Football League are now able to impose a points deduction during the current season, or demote a club from an automatic promotion position into the play-offs (or out of the play-offs altogether). Transfer embargoes are also available (with the earliest one potentially applying during the Summer 2017 Transfer window

It all seems ridiculous when you think that any promoted club is going to have to go and spend Gazzillions just to try and stay in the PL. The fees we saw this past window for average players was insane and adding any real quality is going to take spending more than the club is worth!

I really hope we are developing a strong worldwide scouting network and investing in our academy because if and when we do go up it's going to be harder than even 2 seasons ago to survive. Thanks Randy, Fox & that ginger twonk.

Edited by TheAuthority

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It all seems ridiculous when you think that any promoted club is going to have to go and spend Gazzillions just to try and stay in the PL. The fees we saw this past window for average players was insane and adding any real quality is going to take spending more than the club is worth!

I really hope we are developing a strong worldwide scouting network and investing in our academy because if and when we do go up it's going to be harder than even 2 seasons ago to survive. Thanks Randy, Fox & that ginger twonk.

But that's also because the income is so much more from the latest TV deal.  I think (would need to check), that the 20th team last year got something like £90m paid to them by the Premier League for that season.  When we went down it was more like £65m - still a huge reward for failure, but a lot less than Sunderland got!  (So we really did choose a bad year to finally go down!)

I do see what you mean though - it needs smart buying rather than just buying, and imagination...something which definitely hasn't been shown by our activity so far.

I think they are going to have to do something on parachute payments. 

Someone is going to get relegated soon with a wage bill that makes ours look like a school kids pocket money and will go bankrupt. 

As someone said there has been a game change in the money this year. 

I understand Bournemouth were looking at some massive deal which didn't come off, imagine if they went down with a colossal wage bill, their corporate earnings capacity will be miniscule compared to ours. 

That and all PL clubs are going to have to stand firm and united on insisting all players have proper manageable relegation clauses in all contracts. 

Their earning capacity has increased to mind boggling amounts by the PL so players need to accept that when they are not in it anymore that cash cow has gone. 

One of the journalists on the Sunday Supplement said that we are paying out around one million pound per week on wages...in the championship.  It works out as an average of ~£37k per week per player on this list (loan out's excluded) or £52m per year. 

holy shit. 

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

One of the journalists on the Sunday Supplement said that we are paying out around one million pound per week on wages...in the championship.  It works out as an average of ~£37k per week per player on this list (loan out's excluded) or £52m per year. 

holy shit. 

Yep, huge....if he's right then, at least £52m per year in wages.  I'm presuming that will be more once you've factored in other staff, NI / benefits etc.

Our revenue in the last season of the PL was around £110m.  Parachute payments in year 1 of being relegated were around £27m less than we got in our last PL season, and then drop by a further £7m for this season.  If gate receipts are about the same (more games in Champ vs higher crowds in PL), plus you would think we will have less commercial revenue, I would guess revenue this season would be around the £60m - £70m mark.

That amount on wages therefore seems huge, and would suggest we'll certainly be loss-making after other costs.

Even more worrying is next year - if we don't go up we'll get even less in parachute payments.....and any wages from contracts that are up, we would probably need to replace in the squad.  For me, it reinforces the need to act soon to try and salvage this season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

holy shit. 

And not one single player is worthy of their wage. We piss money up the wall like there is no tomorrow. Big club mentality tin pot outfit. 

• Like 1

Johnstone, Bunn, Samba, Terry, Hutton, Onomah, Snodgrass & Gabby will not be here next season.

Along with them we have 2 ageing DCM's and a bunch of other players who likely/hopefully will be moved on like Elphick, Richards and McCormack to add to the loaned out ones who are also leaving in the summer.

Any ambitious player would likely want to move on to avoid another season in the Championship. Green, Kodija could both get moves depending on how they perform coming back from injury.

We are in for yet another massive rebuild next summer. This time likely on a very strict budget.

Out overall transfer strategy has been a disaster from a financial and long term point.

Hopefully our youngsters will remain at the club and take the step to become regulars because we can't continue to hand out contracts to players winding down looking for a last pay day or to pay premium for Championship "stars" anymore.

• Like 1

We will see the youngster develop n the way Leeds had to a few years ago - it will be a long haul and the better youngsters will get picked off by the richer clubs . 

Failure to get promotion this season will set us back years . 

23 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We will see the youngster develop n the way Leeds had to a few years ago - it will be a long haul and the better youngsters will get picked off by the richer clubs . 

Failure to get promotion this season will set us back years . 

Well, we aren't going to be promoted this season, so I hope their long-term planning is better than it looks. 

I'm starting to be more concerned that we won't have a football club to support at this rate. 

• 1 month later...

Woah we really need to be careful

Click

QPR have been ordered to pay a world-record £40m fine after losing a three-year battle against being found guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play rules during their most recent promotion-winning campaign.

QPR were sanctioned for breaching the FFP Rules in the 2013/14 season, when they were promoted to the Premier League after winning the play-off final.

The decision of the three-man arbitration panel was released to the parties on October 19 and could have huge implications, not just for QPR but also Leicester City and Bournemouth, who the EFL is pursuing, too, for effectively circumventing rules on route to promotion in 2013-14 and 2014-15, respectively.

QPR have until November 20 to appeal the decision which they have said they will do. Neither the club or the EFL will make further statements while the appeal process is ongoing.

The west London side posted a loss of £9.7m during that campaign but QPR's accounts showed a £60m income injection from the club owners, classed as an "exceptional item" which was to write off loans.

The Football League, since rebranded as the English Football League, is understood to have taken issue with that injection of cash and considered the real loss figure to be £69.7m, leaving the club liable for a huge FFP fine.

Reacting to the arbitration panel's verdict, QPR chief executive officer Lee Hoos said: "We are understandably disappointed with the decision.

"We are currently examining our next steps, but we will be appealing.

"However, until the matter is resolved in full, we are not in a position to provide any further comment."

EFL chief executive officer Shaun Harvey said: "This decision vindicates the approach of the EFL Board in defending this challenge.

"The Board will continue to enforce our Rules on Clubs to protect the interests of those that do comply.

Shaun Harvey says the decision 'vindicates the approach of the EFL Board'

"The Board understand the challenges that this decision could create for our valued, Member Club and will work with them, as and when the matter formally concludes.

"It has taken a long time to get to this outcome and I'd like to publicly thank all those individuals who have supported our approach.

So just to clarify you don't want clubs to get into financial trouble yet you fine them 40m? Madness and stupid 

• Like 3

Â